Adding and removing door lock codes remotely with the app

hi!

I've just switched from wink to hubitat and would like to inquire as to why is it possible for me to unlock and lock both my door locks remotely,but i cant add door codes?

This is for my rental unit and would just like to use the app remotely,is there any apps or any codes that someone can help me add to my dashboard?

Did you install Lock Code Manager from within the built-in apps?

Yes,from my understanding Lock Code Manager is used for local connections only,I would like to use lock code manager,or any alternative within the APP remotely

I think @andyyy5 would like to access LCM via the Dashboard. That's not directly possible. Someone posted a hack using GV to change lock codes recently.

1 Like

I missed that. I'm not aware of a way to do that.

The simplest solution would be to use VNC or setup OpenVPN on an RPi on the same network as your Hubitat. That will permit you to access your Hubitat remotely and change any configuration you like.

1 Like

@andyyy5

@damon.dinsmore got this working via Dashboard. Here's a link to his instructions:

1 Like

Thank you for the reply,although I am unfamiliar with that process,why is the unlocking/locking of a door lock cloud based(accessible remotely) ,but not the addition/removal of said door codes?

If Hubitat is the wink killer many claim it to be,I should be able to add codes to my door lock remotely without a VPN or a hack,or at the very least as simple as the wink APP was.

1. No one official has ever called it a "wink killer"
  2. Hubitat's stance has been that control can be done remotely, but system configuration can not. Adding/removing lock codes appears to be considered configuration at this time.

It could change in the future, but realistically I would not expect that any time soon. So if you need to add/remove lock codes in Hubitat you will have to do it locally, use a workaround, or use a vpn.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, @bravenel did exactly this a couple of months ago in a Hubitat Live episode. He was demonstrating connectors and dashboards, and had a small dashboard tile where he could type in a code and it would set the door code on his lock. Setting it to 0 removed the code.

1 Like

:point_up_2: Thats what I do...

Can you link that episode?

Here you go - https://youtu.be/S_7pz5BToRU

I forgot all about it until @BrianX reminded me of that episode.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. This is a significant limitation, IMO, for this hub, which I just discovered as a former Wink user.

You’re replying to a 4-year old post. There are multiple ways to change lock codes remotely, including:

1. Setting it up via Rule Machine and a Dashboard (free).
  2. Using any free VPN service (Tailscale, Wireguard, OpenVPN etc) (free).
  3. Using any free remote viewer service (VNC, TeamViewer etc) (free).
  4. Using a Hubitat Remote Admin subscription (not free).

The first and last do not require any additional hardware besides your Hubitat hub.

With Wink, your hub was configured, controlled and administered using Wink’s cloud. That is not how Hubitat operates. Just about everything is local to your hub, increasing privacy and security. Ergo, changing device configuration, such as managing lock codes, requires a secure method of accessing your hub remotely - with 4 such options listed above. Your lock codes are not stored on Hubitat’s cloud.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll dig into the rules machine.

After a quick read of the doc on using the rules engine to set lock codes it’s pretty apparent to me this isn’t a great solution. The doc clearly states there is no way to determine which slots are available. Obviously not knowing the used slots creates a major limitation in setting lock codes with this approach. The only good way to set codes remotely as I see it is to purchase the remote admin. Only $3 a month.

You need to keep track of the slots using numerical variables.