Adding Aeotec Range Extenders has made my BE469 and FE599 locks reliable

I certainly hope yours is fixed! Sometimes mine will be stable for 2 to 3 days before getting squirrelly so I need to give it more time on my end. One of my door sensors started acting up recently after I added the 2nd Aeotec repeater. Hopefully things are still just settling into their groove on my end as well.

1 Like

I'm on 4 range extenders and I think it's been about 2 weeks. Zero issues vis-a-vis the locks being connected to HE, refreshing, or automations working. Refreshes work like clockwork. I can even get Alexa to unlock the door with no issues.

:point_up::point_up::point_up:

2 Likes

Yep, I posted on another thread that I feel so confident about these working, after I pair that 4th one next week sometime I will attempt to remove my farthest lock and attempt to repair it "in place" just to see how well it does work.....although this thought scares me tremendously as I spent an entire day getting 3 locks originally to pair......but I'll take one for the team

3 Likes

@waynespringer79

I was playing around one night last week, and excluded/re-paired an FE599 in place. Worked.

1 Like

You guys have me really scared to take my 4 Schlage BE469 off from Wink. On Wink they have worked flawlessly for years now. I'm slowly removing things from Wink but after reading all these threads on HE problems with these locks I think I'll leave them on Wink.

It appears these will never work correctly on HE "by themselves" & I really don't want to spend more $$ on extenders to try to make them work. Thanks for all the input on these locks from your threads...I'm glad I researched these threads before taking them off Wink.

May not have to worry. You could try this:

1 Like

I did have to pair my Schlage by bringing the HE over to it and having them touch, and it was a pain to finally get them paired. But that was last year, and I am just recently adding the extenders. My lock has worked flawlessly in the meantime, but I am adding the extenders as a preventative measure, since I am adding new devices monthly.

Also, my hub is only 20 feet from the lock, with 1 wall in between. The extenders may be overkill, but like @waynespringer79 mentioned, you can find them elsewhere than Amazon for a good deal. I got 3 in great shape for $45 total on eBay. I now have 5, the first 2 are from a 2 pack I bought on Amazon, before I thought of eBay.

2 Likes

If you have a Raspberry Pi, you can load up homebridge. There's a Wink plugin that exposes it to HomeKit, so then you could sync that to virtual switches in Hubitat. Then when you have the spare cash, you dump the Wink and pickup a few repeaters.

Don’t you still need an Apple TV gen 4 or new-er iPad running in the home as well? I haven’t researched too deeply yet, but that was my initial understanding. Thank you!

You need the Apple TV gen 4 or newer iPad if you want to access Homekit remotely. You don't need it while being on your home WiFi

1 Like

For the automations, that is correct. But Apple TV 4 is cool and Apple has the best track record when it comes to protecting your privacy on their streaming devices.

1 Like

Sadly, after adding 3 Aeotec repeaters my locks are still flakey, freeze my hub for a few minutes, and fall off the network randomly. :frowning:

How have you positioned the repeaters? Close to the locks? Close to the hub?

1 Like

You have clicked the Z-Wave repair button and waited several hours for the neighbor tables to update?

Yep. 1 repeater 2-3 feet from the hub. The other repeaters as close as possible to the locks. The one lock that falls off the most is about 4 feet from the repeater along the same wall with no obstructions or objects between them. I even had my Wink hub set up as a repeater for a while and that didn’t help. I really think it’s an issue with the code within the hub or the driver based on all of my testing, but I can’t get anyone to believe me. So I’ll just have to live with it unfortunately. :confused:

Yep. And per recommendation from @waynespringer79 I waited a few days after all that,along with a full reboot and shutdown, unplug for 20 seconds, etc. it’s now been a few days and the locks still fall off occasionally or freeze my entire z-wave network for a few minutes when I run rules associated with the locks.

Sometimes unplugging and plugging the batteries back in fixes it. But tonight the locks are running so poorly that even a z-wave repair and unplugging and plugging the batteries back in won’t get the lock to work. I give up. :frowning:

Just to be sure, these locks have been excluded from the Wink hub and the Wink hub was unplugged while you were joining the locks to HE? You did a factory reset on the locks after excluding from HE? There are no other hubs in your home powered up that were connected to the locks previously?

Did you notice any improvement at all when you paired these repeaters? The reason I ask, is for me and (I believe) the same for @aaiyar, each time a repeater was added, a significant improvement was instantly noticed. I'll admit just one was an "improvement" but didn't solve the issue, once I got to 3 it did seem to solve it (for me) and now with 4 I haven't had a single issue with either problem lock.

I do believe you, I've witnessed this first hand for 2 months straight......there IS an issue whether be a driver can fix, or a different zwave radio is needed in the hubs that better amplifies the signal to wake them up for "Secure" devices

The whole premise of the repeaters/AMPLIFIERS isn't to "be the solution" but be a band-aid work around.

1 Like

Yes. 100%

Yes. Factors reset. Exclude and then include.

Correct. On Monday I removed the Wink hub from my HE and unplugged it when my 3rd repeater arrived.

I do appreciate the suggestions however.

I would suggest try putting them halfway between the hub and the locks.

1 Like