Add Hue Motion Sensor to App

Is there any chance of adding the Hue Motion Sensor SML001 to the Hue Bridge Integration App? It would be nice to be able to have this device's firmware updated along with the bulbs.

1 Like

The motion detector can be paired directly to hubitat. We dont have any plans of including the motion detector in the hue integration.

Also, it wouldn't work well in HE, as the hue bridge has no capacity to push changes to Hubitat, so any motion events will be delivered well after the fact.

2 Likes

Darn, that's too bad. I like the fact that the bridge can update the bulbs and it would be nice if the sensor could also be updated.

Does it even need an update?

they pushed one recently for better reaction. I don't notice the difference though

Order one of these. They improve the reaction time of the Hue motion sensor :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I was going to say I am not sure if it has an update or not but SmartHomePrimer answered that for us. Still think it would be good to have it in the Hue Integration App.

Also, it wouldn't work well in HE, as the hue bridge has no capacity to push changes to Hubitat, so any motion events will be delivered well after the fact...

I did not know that the bridge can't send changes. That would be a problem for sure. thanks

I use the hue motion sensor because of the light sensor part. It is one of few that will report changes in light without having to trigger the motion and will send the change independently.

1 Like

The aeon labs multi sense 6 reports motion, light, temp independently. You just have to setup the reporting threshold of each. The Hubitat driver for this is a bit lacking in the ability to configure all the options.

I am on the fence if I want to reply on Hue for motion sensing or HE. I like home smooth and organic the hue system feels. And their ability to set the room scene based on motion, then then revert back to prior state when motion ends seems really neat.
I don’t see these scenes in HE, so it does not appear HE has a way for me to trigger them if I move the motion sensors to HE. And add to that, the firmware updates that cannot be done unless paired back to Hue.

The Hue motion sensor does pair with HE with it's own built-in driver. It works very well. No need for the Hue Bridge if you don't need it. As far as updates then yes you would have to move it back to the hue bridge and then back to HE. I personally don't bother with the updates for the motion sensor.

Yes. I tried it, and I see that it works extremely well. My concern is that HE does. It import scenes so I would be commanding everything from HE’a scenes instead. And they just feel more mechanical. There is an organic feel to the way Hue controls the lighting.

could you explain what are the exact steps to pair Hue motion sensor with HE? I can't find them anywhere. I also do not know what kind of device to search for. thank you in advance @mike.maxwell

1 Like

Never mind - figure it was zigbee b y reading the small text on the back and just now paired but had to remove from the Hue hub first. Long press on setup did factory reset it and thus was able to pair

2 Likes

Here are a few of ways to accomplish connecting a Hue Sensor through a Hue Bridge:

1. Smarthings hub and Martin Verbeek's device handlers (note when installed on hubitat directly, doesn't get past hub discovery with Super LAN Connect). Thus:
    Hue Hub > SmartThings > Hub-Connect > Hubitat

2. @bravenel Quick n' easy ? who knows .. maybe a quick cheap win to adapt Martin Verbeek's device handlers
    Hue Hub > Hubitat

3. Hassio native w/Hue sensor support
    Hue Hub > Hassio > Homekit > Hub-Connect > Hubitat

4. A 9to5mac article suggests this would work:
    Hue Hub > Homekit > Hub-Connect > Hubitat

I've got to ask: why? :slight_smile: From outside Hue (e.g., Hubitat--but also including Home Assistant and ST above), the sensor can only be polled. This means there will be a delay between motion detected and the motion getting created as an event in Hubitat, possibly a significant delay, depending on your polling settings (and there is the dillemma: less polling is generally better for both Hubitat and Hue).

If you're using Hubitat already, it's likely your automations already live there or you'd at least find value in doing so over, say, the limited options in Hue. The Hue motion sensor can pair directly to Hubitat as a Zigbee device, where it will report changes immediately. You can still use it to control Hue bulbs via the Hue Bridge Integration app in Hubitat. I don't see the value of trying to do it the other way around.

The only thing I could see: the sensor can report lux, and this generally isn't as important to get as quicky as motion. Therefore, polling the Hue sensor for lux from the Hue Bridge likely wouldn't be disastrous. But again, you could just pair it to Hubitat and do your automation there--not like Hue lets you choose between anything besides "light" and "dark," anyway.

It would be easy enough to do something like the ST DTHs do on Hubitat (I wrote my own Hue Bridge integration and contemplated it), but with all these disadvantages compared to the fact that the sensor could just pair natively to Hubitat, I'm not sure why most people would want to.

This won't quite work. HubConnect can add Hubitat devices to HomeKit. It does not import HomeKit-only devices into Hubitat. You could make at least the motion portion work by using a virtual switch or other supported device from Hubitat as an intermediary and performing an action on the HomeKit side with the switch based on motion from the Hue sensor, thus getting the events into Hubitat. A special driver or additional automation would be required to actually make these become motion events. I don't see an easy way to get meaningful lux readings out of this. If there's anything good about doing it this way, it's that I assume HomeKit is able to get these events "pushed" to it via some Hue/Apple magic, so it's likely to be faster than most of the above options--all of them except just putting the sensor on Hubitat in the first place, which is what I'd do.

Why hue sensors through the hue hub?

To KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Why.. If I am away and my partner comes home and a light doesnt work it’s a non negotiable unacceptable. The software failure rate of habitat does not yet compare with the near zero failure rate of a Hue Hub.

Why.. the Hue sensors have proven fast and reliable with the Hue Hub this I found it preferable to keep the Hue sensors connected that way. Importantly, Hassio has direct access as does HomeKit negating any dependency Hubitat’s “legacy” Armlogic internals.

Why .. iConnectHue's polished interface makes configuring different brightness according to the time of day and a 50% warning dim - pause - then fading out much like Steve Jobs's prefered cars, top of the range Mercedes, which have an exemplary, beautiful algorithm for this.

Hubitat holds so much promise and I think we all look forward to those promises being delivered, in the mean time some might like their Hue sensors via Hue Hub to be considered 1st class citizens as they are elsewhere.

1 Like

I have one (I only have one) connected directly to HE and have also found it to be very responsive in reporting motion, battery level, temperature and illuminance.

2 Likes

I'm not sure what or where elsewhere is, however as has already been stated, due to the hue bridge api implementation it is not possible to receive hue device events in real time, this has nothing to do with Hubitat.

As such Hubitat won't be adding the ability to export the hue motion sensor within our integration.

2 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face: