Add comment field to devices

Feature request: add a date-stamped, permanent, append-only comment field to each device.

This would allow for a historic log of user-supplied information associated with each physical device.

Use cases:

• Tracking battery replacement frequency (a metric for devices that are too chatty on the network, devices with marginal connectivity, efficiency of devices, quality of battery brands)

• Noting performance/feature changes depending on firmware. For example, I've got 15+ water sensors. I would update firmware on a small number of units and note any differences in behavior between firmware versions before doing a mass update.

• Note particular characteristics of devices. For example, that one brand of motion detector responds more quickly than another, or that one brand of device works better when close to a repeater than another.

1 Like

From Bruce:

2 Likes

I just log battery changes in google sheets. works for me, but i acquiesce that it is a 2nd place to have to go look.

1 Like

Following up here since my first search took me to this item.
There is a custom app that achieves something similar here:

I use it to include a few things I need to look up in some drivers like Button Mapping, etc, which has been super useful to keep that within context of the driver