About to change to Unifi, looking for lessons learned

Back in stock, couldn't resist.

1 Like

Still sold out in the UI Canada store :frowning:
I've been watching this since it launched on early access.

So, thanks all for the replies. I ended up going with the UDM Pro with one NanoHD and one AC Pro Lite. This is thing is AMAZING! I will be getting another AC Pro Lite to help round out my coverage. Currently running right at 50 devices and zero issues!

1 Like

Lesson learned today. Unifi only supports a single inbound IP address. We have a company that needs to route 2+ public IPs to internal servers. Unifi cannot do it without CLI changes that are not officially supported :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Disappointing.

What controller version are you using? I no longer have 2 ips but pretty sure the USG supports dual WAN. Not total combine speed of course but for balancing and failover. Unless the latest Controller software removed this option.

1 Like

UDM-Pro - 1 WAN NIC - 1 IP

True USG4 should get you 1 more so USG4 = 2 IPs failover, or weighted LB. UDM-Pro = 1 IP limit

Yup... Hence my earlier comment that they don't make one that does what I need.

As you already know, there are manual ways to make it work, though. Not pretty, but better than nothing.

I love UniFi ap’s. I have 3 ap ac-pro’s
In the house. Though I use a watchguard t35 as my firewall. (I could use a t15 but I have more than ( hardware vpn’s that I need to maintain)

I'm quite surprised you're not getting good performance from the Velop. I've put them into clients with around 50 employees, and there has been no issue. Of course, not all 50 are on the same node at once. Are these the inexpensive Velop (the shorter ones)? The Velop will not switch to ethernet backhaul on their own. You have to connect the ethernet, and then power down all of them and turn them back on, starting with the master.

1 Like

As someone who wants to move away from Netgear Orbi - Would this be the first device you would purchase?

Debating if I start there, or just with a Switch and an AP for my small house.

No, I paid over $400 for them - it's these:
Amazon Link

I even checked with wired backhauls (and rebooting all) that clients were on different nodes, but anything over 30-35 just killed my wifi speeds!

1 Like

Yep, Those are the ones. Weird. What does Linksys support have to say about that? Those update firmware automatically. I haven't had any panic calls about connection issues from any of the larger client sites I put those into.

Support basically just told me it "should work". Walked through backhaul ethernet and rebooting (which I'd already done) and didn't seem to know much beyond that. It's OK though, I've got a MUCH better system now, and the Velop being at the price point that it was and not working made the sell to the wife for the Unifi system much easier!

2 Likes

This thread got me spending on Ubiquiti products again....

Added a Cloud Key Gen2 Plus and a g3-pro camera....then got it home and realized I needed a POE switch for the cameras, so I ordered a Flex, and injector...then got to thinking I needed to support cameras elsewhere and ordered a US-8-60W switch.

Thought I was done.

Then, decided the US-8-60w could replace a 16 port dumb switch if it had a few more ports...so in came a US-8!

Done, right? Ah...no. saw the Flex-Minis back in stock @$29 each, and decided I need to replace a few more small dumb switches....

So, in the spirit of "lessons learned". Tread cautiously, or Ubiquiti may seriously impact your Smart Home Budget.

S.

4 Likes

Depending on the size of your house and what you are looking to accomplish on the network front there are a few different routes you could take.

There are two Ubiquiti product lines you should consider in most cases.

• Amplifi: Designed as more of a "home" product line, these devices are typically plug and play. They will provide solid coverage, simplified phone based management, and just work.

• UniFi: Designed as an "enterprise" solution, you will spend more purchasing the necessary pieces to build out your network. That being said you get a LOT more control over the Amplifi line. The Dream Machine and Dream Machine Pro devices combine the controller, gateway, switch, and the non-pro a wireless access point. So you can get a decent bang for the buck.

That being said if you plan to deploy more access points you will need either a PoE switch or PoE Injector to power the devices. You can quickly chew through your smart home budget buying their products.

If you want something reliable to just get the job done, go with the Amplifi line.

If you want to venture down the rabbit hole of more enterprise networking (PoE Devices, Multiple VLANs, RADIUS Access Control, etc), spend some time looking into the UniFi gear. I would recommend proceeding with caution to minimize issues with WAF/WAR.

Just replaced my 10-year old simple Netgear setup with Unifi.
USG Pro + 2 24P non-PoE switches + 3 8P switches.

Pictures are nice. The colors, numbers, the 100% User experience - they are all beautiful.
The only problem is that I now get random client disconnects.
Spent a half of the day yesterday chatting with Ubiquiti (1.5 hour wait).
Now, I am with their Tier 2 support.

Just saying..

1 Like

Ubiquiti support is useless. If they offered decent support (even paid support is garbage) and access to log files they would be a much better "enterprise" solution

1 Like

Agreed. I view Ubiquiti as more of a "pro-sumer" or small business product. They could never support the use cases of my enterprise.

I like their stuff (with the exception of no affordable 2.5/5 Gb switches), but enterprise they are not.

2 Likes

I just learned a new Ubiquiti Lesson today!

To adopt a device, it must be on the same subnet as the controller, even if routing is set up between the two subnets.

Example:

My controller (UCK-G2-Plus) is on 192.168.88.0/24.

Recently, I decided to order and install a Ubiquiti Flex 5 POE switch, and a G3-PRO outdoor camera.

Since I'd never played with either, I connected them to one of my switches (on subnet .88) in the house, and adopted them from there. Worked great.

Pulled Cat-6 and installed the Flex 5 in the Garage Loft, and dropped the Cat-6 through the soffit to the G3-Pro. The switch and Camera were connected to the second subnet of my EdgeRouter, in this case 192.168.89.0/24. .88 & .89 are configured to see each other on the router. Everything worked for about 12 hours, then the camera died.

Turned out I had a bad camera, although it took 3 days of cable swaps, etc to confirm this and ultimately led me to an RMA.

In the meantime, I received another camera, and 3 Flex Mini switches.

This time, I installed the camera in the place of the old one, and couldn't find it! It had power, the switch showed activity etc. Nothing, Nada. I also replaced a dumb switch on the .89 network with a Flex Mini...and I couldn't find it either!

The Flex Mini helped me figure the problem out. With it behaving the same as the camera, and also being new, I realized there was something in common. Moving the mini to the .88 subnet and adopting it worked! When I moved it back to the .89 subnet it was just fine, and the controller had no problem seeing it! Doing the same with the camera (after climbing the ladder again to pull it down) worked as well.

Turns out if the device is adopted first, it can find the controller, even from a different (but connected) subnet.

BUT, if it's not adopted first, it cannot.

I did find mention on the Ubiquiti forums this was the case, but nothing in the every day documentation that ships with it. It's probably common knowledge among people who install a lot of Ubiquiti stuff, but it was new to me!

S.

4 Likes

So, I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone found it on a search. Loving the UniFi system. Ended up getting a 24 port switch to add to the mix. (I have a problem now - keep buying more).
Here’s a picture of my setup:

Not sure why it rotated the image...