A Thermostat Sanity Check

I've read up on various thermostats supported by HE and would like a sanity check.

I'm in the US and have a 24V forced air/heat system. The home is 2 years old and I've got a C power line, along with the other fan, heat, cool, etc lines. I have 10'ish Z-Wave devices and 4 zigbee.

There's a variety of thermostats listed on the device page:
List of Compatible Devices | Hubitat Documentation

I don't want an Ecobee or Nest or other cloud required one. My use case is remote temperature checks and changing the set point remotely (if I forgot to set it before leaving on a trip, changing when I'm headed back home).

Two I've narrowed down to are:

Lux Konoz (zigbee version) or Konozw (z-wave version)

Honeywell T6 Pro TH6320ZW...

The drivers list the zigbee version of the Lux only.

Is there any other thermostats someone suggests I look at?
Will either version of the Lux work? Any benefit to one versus the other?

This what I have a really like it .. easy to use - program - color - easy read !
Works great with hub :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH9320WF5003-Programmable-Thermostat-Requires/dp/B0166QE9QC

That's got a really nice display. It looks like a wifi model. How did you integrate it with HE?

FWIW, if you use HA/HADB along with HE, you can use an ecobee thermostat with no cloud involved.

The thermostats you have listed do well with single-stage equipment, but either don't support multi-stage cooling (both Lux models) or have really poor built-in algorithms for staging (the Honeywell T6 z-wave models).

Many years ago, I replaced an ecobee3 with a T6 Pro z-wave thermostat. It worked so poorly with my 4H/2C Lennox heatpump/furnace that after a year of struggling with poor indoor climate, I replaced with a GoControl Z-Wave thermostat. This thermostat permits substantially better staging control relative to the Honeywell T6.

When I moved last October, after installing a new 2H/2C Trane system, I promptly switched back to an ecobee. Interior comfort has been fantastic, and energy consumption has been reasonable.

So I have gone back to recommending ecobees as my thermostat of choice. And, now, for those who are so inclined, it is possible to use one with no cloud involvement.

There is a great custom driver that works great with it ..
Also It is a two stage thremo btw 2 heat and 2 cool if needed.
If you get this .. let me know I will get you the driver.

I don't have HA and right now am trying to avoid complicating things more. (Must keep spouse happy with simple and fail proof automation. :slight_smile: )

I've got a low end Goodman unit (sigh.... I live in Arizona and there was no option to upgrade when the home was built.) Here's a link to the condenser unit: ( Air Conditioner | 14 SEER | GSX14 |Goodman (goodmanmfg.com)) I'd love to have a variable speed compressor, but probably not worth trying to upgrade.

The house has T6 thermostat right now (but its not the zwave one).

Variable speed units shine primarily when humidity control during cooling is a major requirement. Which is unlikely to be an issue in Arizona.

For single stage equipment, all the thermostats you listed will work well. I prefer Honeywell as a manufacturer to Lux. And you wonโ€™t have to change the backplate. The T6 pro uses the same UWP as your current thermostat.

1 Like

I'd like to learn more and then pull the trigger on which one to get. Can you send me the link/info?

I just stumbled onto this one:

Alarm.com ADC-T40K-HD

But, I can't find any info on which z-wave commands/options it supports. Probably should avoid, unless someone says they have it and its great.

I have the Honeywell you show in your post. Actually I have 3 of them. All have been working for a few years and have given me no trouble. Historically I've found Honeywell control loop to be the best or among the best I've seen (going back to long before smart stuff).

Personally I will not use a WiFi device, especially a thermostat. While the physical thermostat has max and min limits so any effect is limited, I would rather not put another "smartish" device in the control path.

this is the ver I use ...

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/HoneywellThermo-TCC/master/HoneywellThermo-TCC_C.groovy

I have the Honeywell t6 pro z-wave (with the 700 chip) It's probably the best out of all of them.

If it's z-wave it should follow the standard z-wave commands and the generic z-wave driver would work.

To ugly for the wife LOL

I dunno about that. Seems to look good on our wall. (Also comes in black)

You cant go wrong with Honeywell. I have the T6 zigbee shown above and like it fine. I have a GA state HVAC license and retired after 45 years doing heat and ac work so not saying which is best but I know what is good.

2 Likes

This ver of the driver is newest for Honeywell ... works great - Thanks to : csteele

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/HoneywellThermo-TCC/master/HoneywellThermo-TCC_C.groovy

You can change the colors on it to match your wall also LOL Wife Approved :slight_smile:

Well, I just joined the insanity and ordered a couple of T6's off FB.
I didn't really need them, and who knows if they will work, but so it goes.

I have 3 T6 installed now. :slight_smile: Got them from different sellers on eBay.

Pretty happy with them so far. They paired with no issues and the Advanced Honeywell driver I installed with HPM is really good.

I'm trying to set up graphing now and am not having super success yet.

Thanks all for the input!

I hope you've had success!