A/C control: Daikin Mobile Controller

Well, I finally remembered to check my wifi modules and I have the A43 module, so that's why it's working. I have to see if I modified the @eriktack version of the driver or the earlier version, but either way, it sounds like you need the A or B version to get things working with HE. Also, I still have bugs in that I don't seem to be able to set fan mode. It works, but that's because I set fan mode with the IR remotes. And, I still have rather cludgy temp setting as I think it does rather poor C to F conversions.

Well looks like theres going to be no support for the BRP072C42 in Hubitat? so looking into either OpenHAB or HomeAssistant which both seem to support BRP072C42, which ones the best to use?

Sorry for late reply, but I just did an update to the fan rate setting, I had the change running locally for a couple of weeks and it works a lot better for me now.

I set up HomeAssistant on my NAS solely to integrate with Daikin BRP072C42. HA detects all the units straight away out of the box. Just need to key in the IP and network key (found on the sticker).

Then I installed Home Assistant Device Bridge on Hubitat to bridge Home Assistant devices into Hubitat. The bridge doesn't support thermostat originally. After some modification, I managed to bring all the BRP072C42 into Hubitat. It allows me to control the mode, preset mode, swing mode, fan mode and temperature.

1 Like

I think the big problem here is Daikin. These wifi modules are just ridiculously bad. We had a lightning strike take out some unmanaged switches across three buildings. Nothing connected to the switches was harmed (including Hubitat, thankfully). But when we brought the network and APs back online, the only wifi devices that failed to reconnect were all three of these Daikin devices in one building. ALL THREE!

We also had to have a compressor motor replaced under warranty, one year in. Daikin will not be installed in any other properties we purchase, of that I'm certain.

That made me LOL. I have 8 Daikin splits and hate them too. I hate that you can't just push a button on the remote to blow up or down or left or right, you have to sit there staring at it for 30 seconds till it moves to the desired position and then press swing toggle button. (And even then it only manages to blow 10 degrees off centre.) Do the wifi or IR integrations have distinct commands to set the vane position, or is it only a swing/don't swing as per the remotes?

I've seen nothing that would even address vane positions. It's difficult to get these drivers to even adjust temperature correctly, and there's NO feedback that shows a command has been received. IMO, they're totally unreliable as a means of actually controlling these units, but I still blame primarily the units.

2 Likes

Thanks, in that case I don't think I'll ever bother integrating them. Somehow through marketing Daikin is considered a premium brand here in Australia. :joy:

I think it's a not-unreasonable brand, and I'm sure some of their equipment is good. But these wifi modules are, in my view, garbage. As for the compressor motor that failed, it at least continued working while producing a rather loud noise, so the local installer had them replace it, appropriately. The units do "work", and are energy efficient. But being an automation enthusiast, I would select a brand that had better integration capabilities in the future. Either Mistubishi or Fujitsu would be the place I would start, while also considering Panasonic.I haven't checked them out, but they would at least get a look to see what they offered.

@gabriel_kpk, is there a chance you could share the code of your modified thermostat driver and whatever other apps you modified to make all this climate control functionality available? I have the same Daikin airco network adapters fully functional on HA, then bridged to HE via HADB, but only glitched basic functionality. This would mean a world to me.

For those struggling with getting your Daikin aircons with new cloud-connected wifi controllers (class C - BRP072Cxx) hooked up on Hubitat:
The only stable and working solution I found is to equip each inside aircon unit with a second wifi controller of class B that maintains local network support and does not require outside internet connection.
There is one possible alternative that works with the original built-in wifi controllers, but it does require a Home Assistant to run in parallel with Hubitat, a bridge app between HA and HE and a customized driver - and is generally less reliable and stable.

My aircon units are FVXM35A (floor unit) and several FTXM20R (wall unit).

STABLE SOLUTION:
Install a second wifi controller from the class B inside each inside aircon unit and hook it up to HE using the driver from bendews.

PROs:

• local network connection - works always when your local network is up
  • no dependence on Daikin's cloud
  • no dependence on a 3rd party smart home hub
  • time-tested driver
  • you can use Daikin's new cloud app (Onecta) AND their older app (Daikin Residential Controller) AND have it hooked up on HE
    *extra redundancy - if one wifi controller stops working - you have a backup and can control the unit via the other app

CONs:

• expensive - it set me off almost €100 per inside aircon unit
  • you end up with 2 wifi controllers in each unit (I still need to check whether I can disconnect the original C class units)

What you need for each inside unit:

Installation:

1. turn off power to your aircon system (typically fixed main switch inside your home main power switch box)
  2. take off the cover, blower direction flap, power connection cover and motherboard cover - this video helped me do that: How to clean air conditioner. Properly cleaning a dirty air conditioner. Daikin air conditioner - YouTube . Be careful with the clicking system on top of the plastic cover of the wall units - unclick them carefully to not to break them.
  3. connect the EKRS21 adapter to the S21 slot on the motherboard.
  4. use the 5-pin jumper cable to then connect to your new wifi adapter.
  5. find a space within our outside the unit to hide the new wifi adapter in - one that is NOT covered by a metal cover plate. On my wall units there is a little empty space at the top right corner. On my floor unit I found space at the bottom right. If your cable is long enough, you can install the wifi adapter outside of the unit on the wall.
  6. close everything again
  7. install Daikin Residential Controller app on your phone
  8. follow the very clear instructions in the app to add a new unit: Menu/Add Adapter (easiest by using the WPS button on your router)
  9. once you see the unit, test that you can control it via the app and note down its IP address and MAC address (unit settings icon top right).
  10. fix the IP address on your router to that unit's MAC address to make sure your router will not assign it with a different one later
  11. install the Daikin aircon driver "Daikin WiFi Split System Hubitat". This is a driver originally created by bendews for SmartThings and then ported by Eric Tack (@eriktack) to Hubitat: GitHub - eriktack/hubitat-daikin-wifi: SmartThings Device Handler for Daikin WiFi Systems - Erik's original thread here:
    [Release] Daikin AC Wifi Controller
  12. create a new Hubitat virtual device and select the Daikin aircon driver (find it under user drivers at the bottom of the list). Save the device.
  13. under the device preferences - find Daikin WiFi IP Address field and fill that in. Leave the port set to the default port 80.
  14. test that you can control the unit via the new virtual device in Hubitat and eventually create a corresponding dashboard item.

THE CLOUD ALTERNATIVE (aka the "mad professor option"):
Hook-up the Daikin cloud wifi controllers on HomeAssistant via new custom adapter code, bridge Hubitat with HomeAssistant and install customized Daikin driver on Hubitat to control your units.

PROs:

• no need to buy a separate wifi controller for each unit
  • no double wifi controllers
  • no need to disassemble the units
  • much cheaper

CONs:

• dependence on Daikin's cloud and outside internet connection
  • dependence on HomeAssistant aside of Hubitat
  • dependence on bridge app between HA and HE
  • more technical
  • specially customized driver of HA/HE bridge that is not on the main development branch - solely for this Daikin setup - cannot update the bridge drivers in future
  • some bugs, unexplained quirks and reliability issues
  • Daikin's own cloud link is unstable

What you need:

• HomeAssistant hub running on your local network - e.g. on a Raspberry PI.
  • Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB) app installed on Hubitat
  • custom drivers from @gabriel_kpk - he was kind enough to share them with me - I could forward if he is ok with that

Installation:

1. Install HomeAssistant on a separate system - Raspberry PI, thin client PC or any other machine you can keep always running.
  2. install the new Daikin C class driver in HomeAssistant from here - follow instructions carefully - including the adding of your Daikin Onecta user and password to the YAML configuration file - and restart HomeAssistant: GitHub - rospogrigio/daikin_residential: Cloud control of Daikin devices that are supported by Daikin Residential Controller app.
  3. Your aircon units will be automatically discovered by HA - configure/name them within your HomeAssistant.
  4. install the Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB) - [RELEASE] Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB)
  5. replace the driver code of HADB by @gabriel_kpk 's customized HADB driver code
  6. install @gabriel_kpk 's Daikin aircon driver
  7. create a new virtual device with the new Daikin aircon driver, save then edit IP address in preferences to point to your aircon's IP address and save again.

CONCLUSION
As I said - I already invested into the local network option and it works great. I am happy I am not dependent on Daikin's cloud nor HomeAssistant instance.
The alternative solution is a viable workaround and @gabriel_kpk has put some great work there to make it happen, but it needs more effort to tune out some bugs and quirks and it adds a lot of software complexity since it requires 2 different hubs, a bridge app between those hubs and a bunch of custom drivers you have to keep in mind to maintain in future.

Hope this will help someone out there.

Thanks very much for posting this. I have the A series module (5 of them). They work enough to turn units to heat/cool/off, and make crude temp adjustments, but that's about it. Not a fan of the brand, but for everyone stuck with them, this is helpful.

@MarkM The SKU differences (BRP069B42, BRP069B41) I got explained to me by the firm installing the units is the different cables and lengths needed to connect the module to the unit. You need different cables and lengths depending on what indoor unit you have. He said there was like 4-5 different versions, but the module itself is the same.

Thanks @MarkM

Just moved into a new place that came with 'Smart' Air conditioners pre-installed. Unfortunately, they are the BRP072C42 modules. Both of your options are way beyond my ability so will unfortunately just have to figure out how else I would do something like get a presence sensor to trigger a 'turn off' signal to the aircon when it detects noone in the room. Thoughts anyone?

I assume those units also have an IR control (the typical remote). If so, perhaps a presence sensor and an IR hub?

Thanks @Madcodger. I thought about that but my concern would be the 'system's' lack of knowledge about whether the AC unit is already in an 'off' or 'on' state. As you are aware, it is usually the same button that is used to turn an AC on and off and thus the same IR signal (I assume). So if the AC is already turned off, and the presence sensor detects no activity and sends the signal, then it would be turning it on, instead of off. (Again, this is my assumption about how it would work) haha

True. Honestly, I don't have a good solution for you. Sorry.

Hello, does anyone know the correct way to automate the desired mode when creating an automation through Rule Machine? There doesn't seem to be any way to set this (ie. heat, cool, fan, dry, auto)

Or is there another automation app I should be using for this device that would apply such settings?

See my reply to you in the other thread where you posted. Appears (not yet confirmed, and may not be unless until a Daikin driver user rolls back their firmware) to be a problem resulting from the way this driver works, under HE firmware 2.3.6.x.

The Daikin driver has always been a pain, but better than nothing as you could at least set temp and mode. Now, even mode adjustments appear not to work. I've no idea as to how to fix it (I'm not a coder/developer) and haven't yet decided to roll back my firmware as that locks one in to that version. Not ideal. But no one appears to be working on a better (compliant with something, apparently) driver.

The answer from Hubitat on these types of problems is always some version of, "Well, we fixed things to conform to [whatever] standard, which is the right way to do [whatever], and the person who wrote that driver needs to update it to make it work correctly." They aren't wrong, per se, but that's no help at all when that original driver developer is long gone or too busy or just unwilling to make the changes, for those of us using the driver. It's a longstanding problem in the home automation world, for almost all drivers/"apps" that don't have a lot of users and someone who can take over for the original developer. I saw it with Homeseer, then others, and now Hubitat has been around long enough that we're seeing it here. Basically, it's the core, central downside of having drivers written by a volunteer community, and to date, no one has found a great way to address it.

A few months ago, I received a warning from Daikin - through Daikin Onecta app - that they experienced a faulty firmware update that was causing a lot of problems and they were working to find a solution.

I tried to find the notification but I remembered that it was a popup and not an usual notification, so I can't tell you which firmware version was causing the problem because the notification vanished.

I have these devices with corresponding firmware versions:

1 x indoor unit CTXM11N2VV1B
LAN gateway BRP069B4x : firmware 1_14_84
Indoor units software: 3.20

1 x indoor unit FTXM35N2V1B
LAN gateway BRP069B4x : firmware 1_14_84
Indoor units software: 3.20

I must confess that I use the basic of the integration: setting temperature & mode (heating/cooling) and turning on/off.

Hope this information helps.