4 Types of Gas Detector - Zigbee

@mike.maxwell : Is there any chance that you could add this device to the list of devices that HE supports?
If necessary, I could ship my unit to you for you to play around with.
I think that it would be a worthwhile addition to the Hubitat "stable".
(In other words, "please?")

There’s the Xiaomi Mijia Honeywell gas detector for methane. I think a few people here have the smoke alarm, but I’m not sure about the gas detector

Do you have a device handler for that type of gas detector?

No, but you could try the driver for their smoke detector

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/veeceeoh/xiaomi-hubitat/master/devicedrivers/xiaomi-honeywell-smoke-detector.src/xiaomi-honeywell-smoke-detector.groovy

Here's a ST DTH for the Xiaomi gas sensor. If it doesn't work with the standard modifications for HE, maybe @veeceeoh could help.

The Zigbee version of the Xiaomi Mijia Honeywell Gas Detector, model JTQJ-BF-01LM/BW, won't work with the Xiaomi-Honeywell Smoke Detector device driver for Hubitat.

A new driver would need to be written for it. Drivers for Xiaomi / Aqara devices are pretty much impossible to write without having the device to work with, and rather challenging if working with someone remotely who owns one.

Unfortunately, that linked driver only works in conjunction with fison67's Mi Connector solution (which links a Xiaomi/Aqara Gateway Hub to a SmartThings or Hubitat hub with the help of a man-in-the-middle computer running a Docker-Based server.)

1 Like

Well, I have great confidence in the abilities of our leader: @mike.maxwell
We will have to wait another month to see...

1 Like

A few days ago a home in my hometown Charlotte blew up because of a gas leak. Million dollar home gone in seconds as this couple returned home from vacation and turned on their lights. Absolutely insane. This certainly has me investigating gas sensors now. Cheap investment to prevent this.

If interested you can read more and see security footage from house next door of explosion.

And the wife of the couple died as a result of the explosion.

The news story notes that the husband reported that he did smell gas.

The advice from pretty much every gas utility provider is:

When smelling gas upon entering any building / home, immediately evacuate all people inside and around the structure, leaving the door open, and call 911 once away from the structure.

2 Likes

I hear what everyone is saying about all these explosions. But what I would like to know is if there is someone working on a driver for any of these devices?
This is a very important device to have and could save your life and your families lives!

I just ordered one of the sensor. What we need is some info from the vendor so we can write the DTH for it. I hope there will be some info in the box.

@cuboy29 Which sensor did you order? It sounds like the Xiaomi is kind of difficult to do. What other ones could be done? What about the one I suggested (below) or something similar?

That's the one I ordered.

If @mike.maxwell has the time, I can send it to him for dev.

Great! I hope Mike will be interested in looking into this for us.

@mike.maxwell I just got an email from the manufacturer of the gas detector I showed above. I asked if they would give us the info we need to create a driver. They want to know what we need. What can I tell them that HE would need to do this? Thanks

Have you tried the ST DTH? Change physicalgraph to hubitat (lowercase) wherever you see it. Curious if it works as I may order a few if it does:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsPublic/master/devicetypes/smartthings/orvibo-gas-detector.src/Orvibo-Gas-detector.groovy

Oh, that’s encouraging. It looks to have the angled power pins that’d work in Australia. :+1:t2:

Looks it's the same manufacturer as the one fr the st driver so might be as simple as replacing physicalgraph with hubitat.

I have that gas detector.
I made that change in the ST DH, but it didn't work.
I've asked @mike.maxwell to write a device driver for it, (and offred to send him mine, if he wanted it).
He said he would consider doing it next month.

1 Like

Did you get it to pair with the HUB at least?