4 Projects on tap, Looking for wiring help

If this needs to be moved to a different forum, please let me know!

This week I have four projects I would like to accomplish. All involve replacing standard dumb switches with Zen74 Dimmers. the house was built in 2020, so I believe there are neutrals available. I can provide pictures as I go, would anyone be agreeable to assist me in wiring them and adding them to my Hubitat? I have also sent a similar email to Zooz support, I'm hoping between them and the community I can get this done!

There are three sets of cans I am looking at, They are as follows (In what I believe will be the order of complexity). This is also the order I would like to do them in if possible.

• Family Room: 4 cans controlled by 1 switch. Replace with a Zen74 Dimmer. That switch is in a double box. The other switch in the Box controls JUST the lights on the ceiling fan. There are two other switches in a 4-gang box on another wall that control the same ceiling fan lights as well as the fan itself. This 4-gang box will come into the picture with the 3rd switch/Dimmer to be listed below.
• Dinning Area lights: 2 Cans controlled by 2 switches. Replace 1 switch with a Zen74 Dimmer. One in a 2-gang box with a switch that controls the patio lights, the other in a 2-gang box with a switch (1 of 3) that controls the Kitchen Can lights (the next project). I would like This switch in the second box described if possible.
• Kitchen Lights: 6 cans controlled by 3 switches: Replace 1 switch with a Zen74 Dimmer. One switch (as described above) is in a 2-gang box with a switch the controls the Dining are lights; the is a single switch by itself (this is the one I was hoping to replace), and a third switch in a 4-gang box with switches that control the ceiling fan, ceiling fan light and entry light. Il be honest, If I can avoid messing around in this box, it would love to be able to do that.
•Laundry Room (this may not be the most difficult) this light has 2 switches. One on one wall in a 2-gang box with a switch that controls the exhaust fan (this is the one I hope I can replace). The other on the other wall in a 4-gang box with switches that control the Garage Light (could be interested replacing this with a Zen73). There is also a switch for the outside garage lights (the lights have 2 switches, the other in a 4-gang box by the front door, also a possible future project)/ The last switch in this gang is a single switch that controls the “Christmas” eaves outlets.
•
So, with all of that said (and hopefully clearly explained) would anyone be willing to help walk me through all of this? The first three would be using Zen74 dimmers, the last using a Zen74 Switch.

If as you read all this you saw a potential for maybe three other projects, you are correct! But I gotta take baby steps!

It's difficult to give "wiring help" on these sorts of forums...

If you are not comfortable doing the wiring yourself, I would recommend a qualified electrician.

You can cause a fire if you don't wire things correctly.

2 Likes

That has been my first plan for the last couple years. A qualified electrician willing to do the work is apparently a unicorn. Most I have talked to are extremely flakey (don't return calls, etc.) don't want to mess with HA switches (they seem to think there is some kind of voodoo involved) , or are way, way, way over priced (in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars per switch). Generally, in this area (The DFW Metroplex) I have found most service providers in just about any trade have more business than they can handle, are not interested in any additional work, and even go so far as to run it off. If you're not a DIY person in this area, you'll have to become one or you will never get anything done, or it will be very over priced.

1 Like

Get one of these non contact AC detectors to be sure when you turn the breaker off there is no power on any wires before you dig into it.
https://www.amazon.com/Non-Contact-Detector-Klein-Tools-NCVT1P/dp/B099SJ6469/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2U5SAS6J2F74T&keywords=ac+non+contact+voltage+tester&qid=1655163142&sprefix=AC+non+contact+%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-8

Its not that hard to do if you safe. Those pics show you have a neutral wire.
Make sure you have a proper wire stripper.

2 Likes

@lcw731 I see a red wire on that left switch. Likely a traveler for a 4 way. Whites will be neutral. Turn off both switches. Like @kampto said, use a non contact detector. Trace the primary hot. Not all dimmers are going to require a neutral but if it does, use a pig tail. It will be easier. Also as @kampto said, TURN OFF THE BREAKER!

Which version are you using?
The docs are a little confusing.

NEW 3-WAY & 4-WAY WIRING: Still no add-on and use it in larger set-ups for multi-point control. Wires like the ZEN27 model; always follow the diagram in the manual, do NOT wire like the older ZEN23/ZEN24 switches.]

New Version

These instructions can only be used with ZEN26 and ZEN27, if you have ZEN21, ZEN22, ZEN23, ZEN24 VER. 2.0 switches, please click here for 3-way wiring diagrams.

Old Version

Sure though will admit I am not as familiar with Zooz switches as I am GE. I am not a licensed electrician but I helped many users with wiring questions in the ST community for years.

The pictures provided aren’t labeled but here are a few things to pay attention to:

• US electric code doesn’t require use of wire color but white hooked up to a switch, especially with black tape, is hot.
  • Bundle of white wires with wire nut is typically neutral.
  • Bundle of black wires where you find pigtails going to each switch is hot/line from breaker, then other wire in that same switch if only 2 wires is load
  • Switches with 3 wires will have 2 traveler wires and a common wire, these are 3 way switches. The common wire will be designated by a black/bronze screw and it’s extremely important to pay attention to that wire. It will either be line from breaker or load to fixture. Be sure to take good pictures of these switches in case something doesn’t work.
  • Switches with 4 wires aren’t as important to pay attention to and are used in 4+ way situations where you have 3 plus switches controlling the same lights. The 3 way (switches with 3 wires) hooked up in this circuit are the more important ones.
4 Likes

Got one. Picked up this whole set a couple days ago

Summary

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Digital-Multimeter-Electrical-Test-Kit-MM320KIT/316734078 SKU# 316734078)

Heck I turned the curcuit breakers off just to take those pictures! I'm not taking any chances! I suspect this will be the easiest of the 4 in looking to do.

That would make sense. That switch controls the ceiling fan lights. There's another switch for that, and the fan itself on another wall. For these cans there is only one switch which controls them. The next two switches after this have 2 and 3 switches. I'm trying to build from what i think will be easiest to most difficult. Gotta admit though, there were more wires in that box than I expected!

1 Like

Made me double check! That red wire is not connected to the switch im looking to change out at this time.

1 Like

Are you referring to the bottom picture above? If yes you want to replace the right switch pictured? If yes See my points above. That’s a single poll switch and one wire will be load and the other line from breaker. It’s hard to tell from that picture but one of those wires will go to a bundle of black wires where another wire from that same bundle goes to the other switch. That will be line from breaker and the other wire in that switch will be load. Then you have neutral in the back white bundle.

Yes, I want to Replace the right switch (when looking at it).

Yeah. It is kinda hard to make out, but you can see a wire coming out of the bottom terminal on the right side of the switch going to the black wires in the lower right, then another wire coming out of that bundle and going to the other switch. I highlighted them here to make it a bit easier to see..

The switch I want to replace only has the two black wires on the right side, and it appears just the ground wire on the left.

Hope those help a bit..

It looks (to me any way) like the wires into the wire nut on the left side are all white.
The wires into the wire nut in the middle are bare.
The wires into the wire nut on the right side are all black.

I wasn't even aware there was a difference, thanks for pointing that out! I bought these in December 2021, so I would have assumed Version 2, but when I looked at the instruction sheet in the box it says Toggle Dimmer 700 Zen74 Version 1.0.

Yep that’s a single poll switch which means it’s the only switch controlling the light.

White wires are your neutral and the Zooz switch should have come with a short white wire you can add to this wire nut for your Zooz neutral.

Ground on existing switch will go to ground on the Zooz

Black wire on existing switch going to that black wire bundle is line on Zooz

Other black wire on existing switch is load

You won’t use the traveler terminal on the Zooz since this is a single poll switch.

This is a good one to start with.

2 Likes

I think because it's a 700 series, it IS the New Version.
And it also said somewhere, when in doubt refer to the manual that came in the box. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

wow. if that's not confusing... :roll_eyes: :rofl:

@lcw731 one important piece of advice with wire nuts. Make sure they are screwed on very tight, like really really tight. When you start forcing the switches back in the box loose ones can fall off allowing wires within that bundle to come loose.

It’s also worth getting a bag of the variety pack at your local box store because sometimes when adding the short white pigtail to a neutral bundle you may need the bigger Red or Gray one instead.

1 Like

Gee. just what I needed!! Another excuse to go to the hardware store!

1 Like

Curious, do most guys still wrap the wires around the terminal screws? Or just use the quick connect holes? Does it really matter one way or the other?

Not with these.

2 Likes