3rd Hub

So my 3rd hubitat hub arrives today :grin:

No I am not having speed issues...

My second hub was going to be a dev hub. But I ended up installing it at the office.

My third hub is going to run 5 lightify fixtures that I bought and refuse to put on my main mesh.. Plus since this won’t be my main hub.. It will double as my dev hub

5 Likes

Am thinking about getting a third hub to put my original zwave devices on (11 Leviton outlets, and a couple other things). And leave all the zwave+ devices on my original hub.

If I did that, should I put my zwave leak sensors on the zwave hub or the zwave+ hub?

2 Likes

That will help a little.. In that it will be a pure plus mesh.. But it will take a hit as your other devices talk on the same frequencies...

2 Likes

Hmm... good point. So a better solution would be to gradually replace the leviton outlets with zwave+ ones. Wish iNovelli or Zooz would make one.

Tagging @anon89238910 @Eric_Inovelli @agnes.zooz

4 Likes

Ge has some plus outlets.. They are so boring and basic but they are plus..

3 Likes

But I wish more would come out with interesting outlets.. With some features..

3 Likes

I have three hub’s now as well. It’s a cold, but beautiful day here and we’re due to get out in the sunshine. Getting a little loopy not going anywhere.

Moving my second Aeon v1 HEM is on slate for later today. Just need to work out getting the separate clamps reporting via HubConnect. I think @srwhite has that worked out for me, but I’ve not had time until today to revisit that. Planning to leave the YRD256 Z-Wave Plus lock and Homeseer Flex on the main hub have had no issues from them. Planning on keeping the third hub free of permanent devices and using it as my new hub.

Is it a disaster waiting to happen if I run two old 300 series Z-Wave devices as end devices in the same hub with no repeater? It will have no other devices in it. I ran them both on the main hub in the past, and besides the suspected havoc they may have caused, they reported just fine.

Sound reasonable, or do you have different advice?

3 Likes

Sure, we can definitely explore this. What kind of special features are you guys thinking?

2 Likes

Hard to say without knowing the layout of your house and the construction of your walls... To know how that frequency would propagate..

But if you can .. I would avoid pre-plus devices.. My z-wave mesh runs circles around my zigbee mesh since I went all plus..

3 Likes

You see .. I’m not even sure... But this market does need some innovation...

For sure optional power monitoring

Maybe capacitor based dying gasp (notification send for ac mains outage)

USB charging?

Maybe configurable light ring around the outlet (just a stab in the dark on this one)

Not sure.. But the same old stuff everyone puts out is ho hum..

4 Likes

Yep. Understood. They are good devices otherwise and were inexpensive, so I just want to get them both off the main hub so the can have their own hub to F up if that’s what their going to do. Much less expensive than updating them, and auto daily reboots are free.

If they do have signal problems, I can run Cat 5E to them so the hub is close by, and at almost no additional cost for me.

2 Likes

If they aren’t too chatty it may not be an issue at all..

2 Likes

If you had power monitoring and an LED ring (or if the entire decora plate was soft LED-backlit) you could do some really sweet automations for charging and eco-friendly power monitoring. (If using more than X watts, turn red).

A plate with LEDs (night light capability) is something I'd throw in. If there was a pir sensor in there to trigger motion, that would be useful at times, but that's just a pipe dream :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yea.. Just something more than on/off

1 Like

Well, :neutral_face::grimacing: one I set to update every second. I had to or my microwave reminders did not work right. The other is set to update very 5 seconds. So, yeah. They’re chatty.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh.

We need a GFCI smart switch! I don't think they exist.

(The less-ugly, the better :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Didn’t even think of that.. You are right .. That is a hole

3 Likes

I'd love to see the following for wall outlets:

Both duplex outlets controllable
Energy monitoring

5 Likes

Also @bcopeland.

I'm sure there's a market for this, but many of the new houses I've seen over the last year (was thinking about moving houses before my illness) had combination AFCI/GFCI breakers. In years to come, I'm sure it'll be a shrinking market.

4 Likes

So of course you will then need a 4th hub to use as a master controller/cloud app hub.. :rofl:

My setup is 3 working hubs: main/basement, upstairs and controller. I also have 2 additional hubs that aren't doing anything yet. Currently my controller hub is also my dev hub. I've been kinda thinking about using an additional hub to split out my main floor zigbee devices. Have to sort my network/hub/device issues out first though...

4 Likes