3rd Hub

Yeah, my electrician had to put in GFCI breakers so I could install outlets with USB ports in my kitchen. You'd have to do the same for smart outlets.

3 Likes

The GE outlets are also big, and only the bottom outlet is controllable.

I know there are requests on the Inovelli forums. Perhaps @Eric_Inovelli could slide one into the 2020 roadmap :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

Independent control of both outlets and power monitoring at a minimum. It would also be nice if it could report a power outage, but realistically I would just be happy with the outlet control.

Oh, and not taking up the entire box?

3 Likes

And 20 Amp smart outlets. As I recall the US bulding code states that kitchen plugs must be 20 Amps.

I'm ok with single controlled outlets, but I'd sure like some dual USB single AC combo outlets...with at least some of the features @bcopeland suggested!

S

4 Likes

Does the NEC permit that?

3 Likes

Could be something :wink:

We have a couple options that are white label options that have built in USB-A and/or USB-C

Still looking into it, but it's on the roadmap, just not sure when yet. Primarily, we're focusing on switches right now and then moving to other areas once tariffs hopefully come down or the manufacturer moves to someplace outside China (they plan on it later this year).

4 Likes

That's a good question. I don't see why there would be an issue with dual outlet control off hand.

2 Likes

I could have a few prime locations for testing said options :wink:

2 Likes

1 Like

Home hub 1 ZB channel 20
Home hub 2 ZB channel 15

2 Likes

I think (could be wrong) that there's an expectation that outlets will be continuously powered, which maybe why currently all controlled receptacles have one outlet as always on (and the controlled outlet is marked as such).

2 Likes

So I have 5 of my lightify fixtures up... 2 more to go.. Nice that these things can be on their own mesh...

3 Likes

My 3rd hub is an iPad for HomeKit and my 4th hub is Home Assistant running on an iMac. The majority of my 225+ devices are exposed to all three systems. It's nice having options and being able to diversify.

2 Likes

Outlets have already been asked for by me :smiley:

2 Likes

Independent control of both outlets.

https://byjasco.com/ge-z-wave-plus-plug-smart-dimmer-dual-plug-wusb-charging

1 Like

Not in an in-wall solution, no. Explicitly not allowed in current NEC regs. Can do it in add-on/external modules, though, of course.

2 Likes

I was thinking more in an in-wall capacity instead of using a brick based solution.

1 Like

Interesting. Do you know why dual control is prohibited in an in-wall solution?

1 Like

Because it is a trap for consumers and electricians. They can falsely think that there is no electricity going to the outlet, or that they have turned off the right breaker, and then get zapped if the switch is turned on.

AKA they think it makes it too difficult to prove that you have isolated the electricity source.

Whether I/we agree with that reasoning, it is what it is, as that is what the code says.

3 Likes

My automation addiction may not appreciate their logic, but I can certainly understand their point of view. I feel like adding an always powered LED or two indicating the power state could help mitigate the concern. That being said, building codes are ultimately to help keep us safe.

Thanks for confirming the code side of things!

1 Like