2 garage doors. Do I need 2 Zen17 or will one work?

I currently have Meross wifi units that sometimes work great and sometimes don't work at all. I'm going to switch it over to local and I swear I've read that you can use one Zooz Zen17 to do this. I was also going to use tilt sensors for the reporting but if a physical contact sensor wired to the Zen works I'd rather do it that way

So 2 garage doors
2 hardwire contact sensor
How many relays?
Any ZigBee option?

I should also add that my entire network is currently ZigBee. I have no problem using Z-Wave but I might also need a repeater reach the garage from the hub location.

I currently have my garage compressor in a ZigBee wall wart bouncing off my kitchen outlet and signal is rock solid.

One Zen17 should be just fine, as it accepts two switch inputs and provides two relay outputs.

A ZigBee option might be the MHCOZY modules. I have not used one, but there is a fair amount of discussion on the forum. Perhaps someone can confirm whether these have an "inching" mode appropriate to emulate a garage door button press.

2 Likes

Why use a Zen17 at all? The Zen16 is almost tailor-made for garage doors and supports up to 3 of them.

https://www.getzooz.com/zooz-zen16-multirelay/

Wiring Diagram

Edit: Nevermind, I can't read...if you want to also use it to pick up door status via the dry contacts, then yea the Zen17 makes sense and I agree with @Hatallica it will work fine for two doors.

2 Likes

So the question is can it do both things at once. I have one zen17 that i haven't deployed yet.I recently change relay one to garage door mode. It changes some significant things about how it works. I also had to exclude it and reinclude it.

The zen17 can use the input for several different things, but I have a feeling that when you change te input to certain modes it effects the function of the entire device. You may not be able to seperate them the way you think. I would suggest you reach out to Zooz Support for a suggestion on how to do it.

I suspect your best option would be to use the Zen17 to just open and close the two Garage doors and then maybe 2 zse43 tilt/shock sensors. But ofcourse since those are zwave that could be problematic if you don't have anything in that network built out. The Zen17 will also act as a repeater by the way.

It'll work fine if OP just uses 1 hard-wired sensor per door, Then it's just one R and one S for each door, and that'll use up both Rs and both Ss.

I have just one door, but I use 2 hard-wired sensors - so I use both Ss but only one R.

The beauty of the Z17 is that you can combine the Rs and Ss however you want or use each completely independently.

1 Like

It may depend on how the device is configured. I can tell you when change the input type to Garage door the zen74 had to be excluded and readded. Now when the relay is activated it comes on and goes off.

I just tested it with changin the input mode to Contact Sensor. Now the relay comes on and stays on.

So it sounds like he would need to set both inputs to contact sensor. Then set the input trigger for relay to disabled on both. Then in his automation make sure he turns the relay on and then back off appropriately. Then 17 wouldn't be aware it is controlling a garage door opener.

1 Like

Right on - that's a good point, and you are spot on... I set mine up before the Z17 firmware update that enabled a dedicated garage door mode... That's a nice shortcut feature for Zooz to add, but users should be aware that will associate one of the Ss (as the switch/button, not a sensor) to one of the Rs. For many folks, that's basically all they need, so not a big deal in those cases.

But if you are going to use one or two hard-wired reed sensors for door position, you may not want either S tied directly to an R (i.e. you want to set input trigger to relay as disabled). That's how mine is set up.

Even if you don't use the dedicated garage door mode option in the Z17 itself, it's still super easy to put it all together in a garage door app (either Zooz's or one of the community ones here). All those apps want to know is what device to use as the relay and what device to use as the sensor - the app doesn't care if those are all together in a Z16/17/etc or not.

I use Zooz's garage door app, and it works great. You can even program the relay as a momentary switch in that app instead of having to futz around with that auto-off parameter in the Z17 (learned that one the hard way!).

It admittedly may take some patience and trial-&-error to dial in exactly how you want the Z17 to work, but you can do just about anything with it - it's a cool gadget indeed :+1:

2 Likes

Ok I'm gonna order the Zen 17. I may have changed my mind on the mechanical sensor. I have a bunch of ZigBee contact sensors, can I use these in place of a tilt sensor?

Appreciate all the help, thank you.

Good choice... you won't be disappointed.

I've had nothing but bad experience with this so-called "feature." It seems to be made for use with a wireless door sensor and a basic pushbutton (for door control) wired to the switch inputs. I prefer to use wired door sensors connected directly to the ZEN17 switch inputs, and wire the relay in parallel with my existing door switch.

#ThisIsTheWay

My ZEN17 is configured as two generic relays and two generic contact sensors. Then the Zooz garage door app/device handle the automation.

App settings:

ZEN17 configuration:

2 Likes

Yes as long as you mount them in a way they can reliably work to ahow the state. I have seen a few good ways to do that. I like the one where a small hing is used to allow part of the sensor to turn away from the other when the door opened.

It really is just about finding a good mount point that will reliably work.

It can be a bit tricky. I've found that the top panel usually works the best.

2 Likes

Could you draw up basic wiring diagram? As I see it I need a set of dry contacts for the OEM mechanical button and a set of contacts for the laser. Or do you just interrupt the button circuit with the laser?

Are you planning to use a wireless contact (or tilt) sensor to detect when the door is open?

You should NOT do anything to change the way the safety sensors are wired.

4 Likes

Initially I wanted to use a hardwired contact sensor AKA reed switch. Then I was going to use a tilt sensor just for the ease of install but now I'm back to thinking I want a hardwired solution so It will be one less thing to worry about.

I'm way better at wiring than I am at hubitat right now.

That's how i did mine. Configure the ZEN17 as shown in my screenshots above. Then wire your contact sensor to terminals S1 & C. Then add a second set of wires in parallel with the button control that you use to manually open your door. I do this by just pushing them into the terminals on the opener right with the existing wire that goes to the button control. Connect those to the NO & C terminals of relay 1 on the ZEN17.

I can take pictures later if needed.

1 Like

Which app are using? I cant find anything that looks like yours. I also need to split this into 2 seperate devices somehow.

took me 20 minutes just to get it paired. was not happy.

If you're asking which GDO app @dylan.c is using, I'm 99% sure it's the Zooz app. That app was originally created for the Z16, but works great for Z17 too (I also use it with my Z17).

Instructions/link in Step 3 on this setup page.

1 Like

Ok I got everything going but im stuck on the senor section. Im using a reed sensor/mechanical dry contact. What kind of device did you make for this?

Is your reed sensor wired into the S1 (or S2) / C slots on the Z17? If so, does your Z17 "preferences" all look like dylan's screenshot a few posts up? Unless you are using 2 reed sensors, only one of your "Input Relay" (1 or 2) needs to be set as a Contact Sensor.

If that's all set up right, then you'll get the option to select that Contact Sensor in the Zooz app.

Like me, Dylan is using 2 reed sensors (one to confirm fully closed and another for fully open), but using just one is fine too.

Im using one NC sensor. I dont have anything wired yet. Is that the issue? i was trying to get the software end done first before I mount it.