2.3.4.127 - Mode Manager switching to incorrect mode on reboot

I have a RM rule that reboots the hub. It runs on the first of every month at 4:00 AM. When it ran last night, the Mode was Asleep. But after the hub rebooted, the Mode was changed to Away. I can recreate this by simply rebooting the hub via the Settings menu. This is a new problem. Reboots have not done this before. I'm not sure if it has something to do with 2.3.4.127, or something to do with the change in year. (Logs still say 2022.) Needless to say this is pretty annoying.

Here's the log from early this morning:

Modes are set only with switches. Here the setup:

For what it's worth, this is the reboot RM rule. As I said, I can recreate this with any reboot.

Interesting. Mine apparently changed mode from being updated.

Mode Manager Logs

And ALL my timestamps are showing 2022 as well

Logs from 1/1/23

1 Like

Please show the Time Settings for Mode Manager.

There is a new feature in Mode Manager that sets the mode on reboot. But, it should only do that for the times defined.

TimeBased

Presence Based

Buttons and Switches

Settings Page(Gear Icon

Also, the Hub Details page shows the date (year) and time correctly, and the pending jobs from the settings page indicate the correct year. However, the logging is showing 2022 instead of 2023 as shown in my above comment

Hub Details

Thanks. Clearly, a bug. It should have seen it as being in Home mode and not set it to Early Morning. I will reproduce your setup and find the problem.

1 Like

I manually set it back to the correct mode. Went ahead and just rebooted to see if it did the same thing. It set it back to "Early Morning" again. If needed, I can send you my hub id if that helps troubleshoot.

Would you open the app again, and hit Update. See if it changes the mode...

I don't have any Time Settings set. I use only switches.

I opened the app and clicked update. The mode did not change from "Home" which would be the correct one based on timing.

Was your intent that I do that from where it was in the incorrect mode to begin with?

Thanks, I saw that later. Digging into this now... Clearly shouldn't do that.

1 Like

No, just checking something. Found the reason this failed...

1 Like

Fixes for these problems will be in the next release. @tray_e and @jabecker

3 Likes

Thanks! you guys have had a busy 1st!

Thanks! Happy New Year! You guys are the best.

In my case, this bug is pretty bad. Going to away mode upon hub reboot at 2:03 this morning also set my Ring Alarm to away mode, meaning if we get out of bed the motion in the house would trigger the alarm.

I had taken the puppy out to potty at 1:30 and was laying in bed awake when at 2:03 I heard the Ring alarm setting for away.... just a few mins ago I find the mode was still wrong

1. going to Evening mode at 9:18 last night was correct
  2. Mode to away at 2:00 is the concerned mentioned here
  3. What is Shadow mode at 7:00?
  4. No log of mode going to away between 7:00am and 9:03am, which is when I found and set it back to home
    Mode manager is setup to switch from sleep to home at 7:00am so it worked as designed

Rick

Confirmed that .128 has fixed this issue for me. Thank you guys for the super quick fix.

Not the platform developer. But, I believe that the shadow mode is a background mode of what Mode you would be in if you were not in away or another skipped mode so that it can return to the correct mode on a "return from away" action.

That is because it went to away at 2:03 AM on system startup and stayed there until you switched it to home at 9:03

Confirmed that 2.3.4.128 has also fixed this for me! Thanks for the quick action!

2 Likes

Well then what happened at 7:00 when it says it went to home mode, which is what I expect at 7:00?

It went to shadow home mode. Not Home Mode.

Shadow mode is what it does to track the times when in away mode so that it returns to the correct mode when you return from away.