2.2.7 Zigbee OTA updates

Except that 2 bad plugs out of 8 were enough to take a mesh down :laughing:

So why mess with luck?!!

2 Likes

Because that is anecdotal data you are making your inference from, and there are cases of faulty devices with any manufacturer. Oddly you had a HIGHER percentage of GOOD peanut plugs than you did bad when making that assessment. It appears you were "lucky" with 6 and "unlucky" with only 2.

I have zero problems recommending them to anyone

If I were to apply this "why mess with luck" would infer I should drop using Hubitat because there are a very few anecdotes of hubs that fail and/or repeatedly have issues. I had one of my 3 that fell into that category over a year ago and was warrantied, to claim the hubitat hub is a bad home automation hub solely from anecdotal data points would not be accurate.

This is my biggest complaint about them. Really beyond quality control and more like poor engineering. The ground on these plugs connects to very thin metal that broke off on three of mine. One lodged in the outlet causing me to have to replace the outlet. One lodged in another peanut plug that I had it plugged into for storage.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but your understanding of this word is very different from mine.

I would no longer use the term anecdotal post-presentation of data. Which at least 3 individuals have.

And, either coincidentally or consequentially, securifi have pulled Peanuts from the market.

4 Likes

My understanding is the textbook definition, to say that these devices WILL cause problems is 100% factually false.

You're only allowing data that fits your confirmation bias. If you look at ALL the data objectively then what you experienced IS anecdotal.

What you are ignoring is there were MORE than 3 even just in the same "peanut panic thread" alone that were openly stating that they were experience the same thing as myself (no issues) AND equal to the same as SIX of YOUR eight plugs. You yourself had 25% of those devices you had that you stated you had issues with THAT is anecdotal as for identifying "problems". Inferring that 100% of these devices HAVE problems and people should not use them when the fact is you had 25% that had an issue is not advice based on objective fact. When many users (more than just 3) (myself included) have double digit of these devices and have NO issues.

As I stated earlier I had 1 of the 3 or 33% of my hubs "faulty" should I label Hubitat as a device a "bad" home automation hub under this logic?

Amazon still has them for sale on their market. https://www.amazon.com/Securifi-compatible-Remotely-Monitor-Appliances/dp/B00TC9NC82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=peanut+plug&qid=1620461105&sr=8-1

To be fair, anything presented without evidence should be classified as anecdotal...

1 Like

Correct - it would anecdotal if that were the case. However, data (rapidly jumping zigbee routes with consequential mesh instability) has been posted on this forum in the Peanut thread by at least 3 individuals.

Therefore, unlike what @waynespringer79 indicates, this claim is not an opinion. Rather it is an observation backed by the data of jumping routes. Further, for at least the three people who removed their Peanuts, that instability ended with their removal.

1 Like

Let's call a truce to Peanut War II. We have all had a ZigBee device that impacted our networks at one point in time with many factors involved. We can all agree there are many, many, solutions in the marketplace and each brings their own "challenges".

10 Likes

Ha ha ha, you guys.

4 Likes

This is my kind of an argument. :wink:

5 Likes

Any update on this? I've been trying for 2 days straight to update 2 Hue Outdoor and one got to 60% (with many fails between each 20-40-60% stages) and fails the other hasn't even made it to 20% yet and fails?

Had the same issue. One suggestion is to just keep trying (with a gap of a couple hours in between). The second suggestion is to reset the sensor, pair it again really close to the Hubitat, and try updating again, without deleting the device.

I did the former, and it worked after 15+ failed attempts. I’ve heard of others doing the latter.

I've tried the first suggestion. On the second I brought the devices inside right next to the hub about 24 hours ago, I haven't tried resetting, but that may be next if nothing changes in a few more hours.

1 Like

It’s worth trying the reset. Without the reset and re-pair, it might still be using routers that mess with the payload. So it’s worth trying the update when you’re certain the sensor is a direct child device of the hub.
(Using getChildAndRouteInfo to confirm).

P.S. I had to do that to get some bulbs to update during beta testing.

I had similar problems, tried dozens of times with the device next to the hub but it kept failing. I rebooted the hub. After the reboot, it worked first try. Probably a coincidence, but hey.

SirReal

I've tried this multiple times as well, no go for me

Set it off when in bed, I found higher fail rates the busier the zigbee network (I guess its that)

1 Like

this makes sense

I've had it fail regardless. In the wee hours of the night when nothing is running, still fails.

Pity. Even though I'm mainly using them as repeaters, the firmware update may update the routing algorithm (SiLabs did that in one of their updates), which could improve mesh quality.