[2.2.4.xxx] Help understanding "Z-Wave Topology" map

Thanks, do you know if this is normal? I expected, with them all in the same room, they should all connect and for reliability establish an many paths as possible to the coordinator

Sure.

Radios waves do funny things. Couple that with different vendors writing their implementations against a half documented SDK and you can get any manner of results.

Could try moving the repeater to a different outlet and see if the results change. Could also run a repair on it, if you haven't done so in a while.

Where does one find this magical zwave topology map ? Is this strictly a C7 option? Is it available on a C4/5 with the latest prod firmware?

C7 only.

The data isn't readily available to hubitat to do on the C4 and below, and likely way too much work to do on C5 (if possible at all).

Just assume moving forward that all new zwave features (other than driver changes) are C7 only.

1 Like

I am still very confused about the map. I added two light switches to the C7 hub. The Z-Wave Radio devices table shows route 01 -> 07 40kbps. But the the Z-Wave topology shows 01 and 07 are not neighbors?

20210116 z-wave 2

@Rxich and @steve18, you might benefit from installing Tony Fleisher’s (@tony.fleisher’s) Z-Wave Mesh Details app. It can be installed using Hubitat Package Manager, and makes it easy to see what is happens with repeaters, neighbors, and more.

6 Likes

@672southmain, thanks for the pointer. I will give it a try.

The C5 owners should not feel intentionally slighted or ignored. The fact is new features are likely to be possible due to the 700 series Z-Wave device.

2 Likes

Yup. Different SDK, different ZAF, different radio, different chipset... About as different as could be other than both being zwave.

That is why it isn't a simple matter to just "backport it to the C5". It is basically re-writing the new stuff from scratch.

2 Likes

JasonJoel,

I really wasn't directing the response to you, I just wanted the C5 & C4 folks to understand Hubitat was not abandoning them.

1 Like

I know - sorry if I made it less clear instead of more clear. I thought your post was a good idea, so I was trying to add some more color as to why that's the case.

Sorry about that!!!

2 Likes

Thank you sir. I have the app and it seems to provide the same info I get from the z-wave details page of my c7 hub.
Does the app with on the c4?

No, doesn’t work on C-4; neither does topology map.

1 Like

No need all is good. I only replied before because I felt funny "replying" to when I really wanted others to understand the reality but needed to reference your post.

1 Like

at the risk of sounding like an idiot I will ask for some additional clarification from those of you who have far more experience with the Hub. In looking at the Z-Wave details combined with the Z-Wave Topology Map - I see what looks to be conflicting information. Note in the Topology Map that units 07 and 09 are red in both the horizontal and Vertical rows. But in the Route listing for the device numbers are:

Guest Shower 06
Guest Vanity 07
Guest Bath Fan 09

it looks like even though the Topology Map says that 07 and 09 are not talking to the Hub - the route list shows 01 -> 09 -> xx or just 01 -> 09 in the case of the bath fan.

can someone tell me what I am missing here?

Oh and BTW - 09 is not updating its state when it changes state ( manually or via the app )

so that fact that it may not be talking to the hub might have something to do with that ...

but I am confused to say the least on what I am actually seeing here ... any and all guidance is appreciated

Kevin B

It’s possible the topology is out of date for those devices.. The topology gets updated when a NNUR (Node Neighbor Update Request) is sent to the device.. This is done on inclusion and on repair currently.. I am looking at some background scheduled neighbor updates for future releases.

6 Likes

ok - thanks, I ended up excluding 09 and adding it back in since it was not reporting state correctly - it is now working as expected. and the routes of the other devices have updated to take other paths. And the new added device ID:19 is now talking directly to the hub.

2 Likes

I am not understanding the topology map either. I'm running a C5 and just playing around on my C7 to get ready for migrating. I have a single switch included on my C7. Here's what my topology map looks like.

I thought red indicates that the devices can't communicate. But they are.

Also, I remember someone making an app that makes the zwave network stuff easier to read, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me what the name is?

1 Like

Note that it requires a C-7.

Nice description. Thanks. That is really helpful. So I add more Z-Wave devices, in theory I would increase the number of blue dots (Democrats)? And, if there are too many red dots, it means there aren't enough devices in the mesh to create efficient signal routs?
And, if I continue to follow your lead with the political references, the diagonal line could be extrapolated to infer independents? Actually, what does that void of red/blue actually mean?

1 Like