2.2.4 Release - Congrats to the HE team!

That means we now have time to plot our next thing to automate. :rofl:

3 Likes

Is this by chance a direct steam injection humidifier installed in your HVAC system? I live in Canada and in winter my house can get dry. I was looking to get direct steam injection humidifier, but it seems to be slim pickings. Do you have any recommendations? And have you found a way to integrate into HE?

Ah, very Pavlovian. In the future, we should take away something lots of people like when we make a release, and then grudgingly and gradually bring it back over a few hot fix releases, relenting to popular demand, and thus winning the love and loyalty of our users forevermore.

20 Likes

I said that was my favorite update in the release.

I did not say that HE is my favorite development team. :wink:

But darn it, they kinda are. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to see this driver get more attention. It mostly is OK, but things like humidification/dehumidification/ventilation would be nice to have. I am not sure what else is "missing" from this driver, but I always wondered if it could do more.

I’m hoping that once Hubitat supports querying and correctly using thermostat capabilities we’ll get native support for more cloud based thermostat systems like Honeywell Home, Sensibo, Google nest (new API) etc.

1 Like

Yes it is an older honeywell direct steam that integrates with my therm (presige iaq) with redlink.. There are newer models.. it works fine. a little finiky to get the tank and those stupid push in tubes to seal..

I have had it about 6 years.. I have replaced the solenoid once and i added the 3 chamber water quality filters on it to get the calcium and other impurities out.. it does work well if you have a newer furnace that can run the fan independent of the heat.. If you can only run it when the heat is on ... don't bother it wont work well enough.

Currenty it is not integrated into hubitat but as i said i see info coming back that it is enabled in the api so it knows about it .. i will see what i can read and if i can control it when i dig in more..

You can get to 40% or so but if it gets real cold ie 10 below. if you get much more than 30-35 it wil run 24x7 and possibly steam up your windows.. there are settings in the therms to back off based on temp to avoid steaming the windows.

i have this model
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-HM512A2000-TrueSTEAM-12-gallon-with-HumidiPRO-Digital-Humidity-Control

i believe this is the replacement if i were to get a new one

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-HM750A1000-HM750-Advanced-Electrode-Humidifier-11-22-GPD

2 Likes

I had one of these for several years in Colorado. It worked very well. In my application I just controlled it with a simple humidistat, possibly the one that came with the unit. It would not be at all difficult to integrate something like this into Hubitat with a humidity sensor and relay to act in combination as a smart humidistat.

There was annual maintenance to clean out the mineral deposits from the tank, but it did a fairly good job at keeping the heating element clean for a season. I recall having to replace the first one I put in for some reason, and I wouldn't expect one of these units to have much more than 5 to 7 years useful service life. It required both a water line in and drain out. Mine went on a wall the other side of which was a bathroom sink, so I was able to open the wall and create access to a drain riser, and fish a feed line from the sink supply. My steam output was connected to a blower vent controlled by a relay in the unit: steam on -> blower on. These units also work well for direct injection into ducts, and one would want to link to the air handler to move air when it's on.

4 Likes

Why would one possibly want to tie in something to Hubitat that could screw up a house?

There was an issue with 2.2.4.142 that caused Lutron switches to switch to level 0 when turned off, and then stay at level 0 when turned back on... in other words they didn't really turn back on. Has this been addressed in 2.2.4.145? Feeling a tad gun-shy.

I’m not seeing it on my fifty-something Lutron Caseta devices on my C-7 with 2.2.4.145; they work fine. Now, the two minutes running the 2.2.4.142 release were wild all over, especially with my Hue lightstrips, but we will leave that experience forgotten.

1 Like

I share your angst. OK, I'm gonna go for it. Backups first!

1 Like

142 was pulled for a multitude of reasons, including the one you described. And, Hubitat recommended that users roll-back to the last platform version on their hubs.

Yes.

1 Like

Success. Initial check-out confirms Lutron working as expected.

1 Like

We do this all of the time, with locks, thermostats, garage doors, etc. Any device can fail, even a 'dumb' humidistat or the humidifier itself. One has to assess the risks of everything one automates. Yes, Hubitat can fail too.

I can think of a number of reasons that having the humidifier automated could be a good thing, including for example, being able to turn it off in the case of a water leak.

5 Likes

I have mine automated for three reasons. (1) the internal humidistat isn't all that accurate and measures humidity only at the dehumidifier, not at the other end of the room. (2) the dehumidifier has an overboard discharge pump that goes directly outside and if its freezes it will back up, with unfortunate consequences, so I don't turn it on if the temp is below freezing. (3) if it leaks for some reason there's a water leak sensor nearby that will shut it off.

1 Like

not if you use the honeywell therm that can control it.. second when it is below freezing is when you need the humidifier the most.. the colder it is the dryer it is.. i got rid of my outdoor water discharge years ago and go into a drain pipe directly in the basement.

You're right about needing a humidifier most in the cold weather, but my automations are for dehumidifiers. In the cold New England winters the basement is warm and dry because that's where the boilers are. It's only in the hot and humid summers I have an issue. And though I do have a drain pipe in the basement it's several rooms away. That would be a long discharge hose! This one is right by a casement window, so it's a short run and well within the lift capability of the pump.

interested i had problems finding a dehumidifier that works when turned off and back on.. i finally gave up and just left it on a switch (when the house was empty) so i could turn it off if it ever got too dry but it never did. my run for my drain is long too about 1/2 the house and probably above the lift capability for the pumps but never have had any issues.. i do but bleach in the pumps twice a year because i have had issues with them gumming up and causing failures that way..

I have an all metal one for the steam humidifier as it is required to have a very high temp rating due to the discharge when it decides to empty the tank.. i do have 3 leak sensors around the furnaces because of this. and one of the washing machine hoses and a hot water tank that both let go at one point or another.

Oddly enough mine are Amazon-brand dehumidifiers. I have two such setups. I just leave them in the constant-on position with the fan on high and let HE do the rest. I use an Aeotec multi sensor to control the lights in the rooms as well as measure the humidity, ST smart outlets to turn them on and off, and ST water leak sensor next to them. They are set to come on if the humidity rises above 55 and turn off when the humidity falls below 50. I have an alert if the humidity continues to rise above 60 but that has only happened a couple times.

I also have sensors next to both boilers, next to the washing machine / set tub, under the very first forced hot water radiator in the system, under sinks in the bathrooms, etc. The only water leak I have ever had was when one of my boiler's auto-fill mechanism got stuck open. It filled the radiator system with water and they all started to drip. Ironically if the opposite had happened - the fill valve had failed OFF - I would have been OK (though chilly). Since the first radiator in the system is the one to overfill first, that's where the water sensor is. Of course it went in after the issue happened :slight_smile:

1 Like