[2.2.4.158 C7] Ring Contact Sensors Not Updating Status Reliably

@agnes.zooz tagged too.

1 Like

We haven't seen any issues with the ZEN16 MultiRelay. The issues reported for some of our devices aren't brand specific, they're specific to multi-channel S2 devices that report energy (like the Double Plug or the Power Strip), we just happen to sell the most of them :slight_smile: But there are no known issues for the MultiRelay to my best knowledge. This device only reports on/off to the hub whenever it's actually operated so it wouldn't be able to cause any problems with the mesh (or rather with the hub's processor) by sending many reports at once. @rob9 definitely let us know if you notice any issues with controlling your Zooz devices and we'll be happy to help.

1 Like

Cool--Thanks,

Yeah, the big thing was that my ZEN16 somehow lost all the "in Clusters" at some point.

I was having general "issues" with things getting hung up/sluggish/etc., so that became a key target. I ended up removing it from my network entirely and re-adding it back in. Now, it has a few "In Clusters", so I assume it's in better networking health.

2 Likes

The Ring contact sensor Gen2 is acting wonky again.

As often as not, it doesn't recognize the door opening and closing.

At least a couple of times, the sensor blinked red after opening and closing the door (it generally blinked red when I removed it from the door, also, to indicate a tamper--but it also blinked red to seemingly indicate communication issues).

The Zooz multi-relay has its in clusters now, so that didn't solve the issue.

After totally ignoring numerous opens and closes, a bit later, it realized it was closed.

I'm using the 'gen 1" driver right now, since it possibly had a fix for a problem that overwhelmed the network with battery devices.

Guess I'll reboot.

Maybe @bcopeland may have some ideas after the break.

No need for that.. The gen 2 driver isn’t affected.

Yes.. If you see this, it couldn’t reach the hub for some reason.

1 Like

Interesting. As soon as I issued the reboot, my basement lights came on (instantly--not after the reboot finished).

And, as a side note, those contact sensors have no "refresh" function, so you have to physically go to them to get them to reset their state by opening and closing the door. Most devices have a refresh that forces a reading of the state.

After the reboot, that door sensor worked perfectly.

Note : it's a Ring Gen 2, paired as S2.

There is a reason for that.. Sleepy devices won’t receive messages until a wakeup event.. So a refresh button would be useless.

2 Likes

I'm running a HE C-7 on 2.2.4.158 and a dozen Ring 2nd Gen Contact Sensors. I've noticed one sensor has started acting funny, showing errors on the Z-wave details page. The sensor works, no red LED flashing, but sometimes very slow in reporting status update.

After a couple months of rock-solid Ring devices, every one of mine are impacted by this (all day every day; 3 keypads, 2 extenders, 2 motion, 5 contact).

A couple concrete examples:

• I just unplugged a range extender, waited a minute, and plugged it back in. The state still says it is on battery power, meaning that it communicated on the unplug and not the re-plug. The only event is from it losing mains power.
  • The one contact sensor that reports at all will only report one side of all states: the window is open, never closed. When I just pulled the cover off it does report tampering (but says stuck at tamper=detected).
  • All three of my keypads (previously maybe the most reliable device on my network) have had the red radio icon lit up for days now.

In my case, this seems to have happened after I performed a z-wave repair. All of the Ring devices fail during repair, and I assume I screwed it all up by doing the repair (shame on me for moving my hub 15 feet away!). For the contact and motion sensor I've pulled them open and am greeted with the red lights.

@bcopeland would you think my only option to try excluding/re-including and falling back to factory reset? I guess if so I'm glad I've been lazy in installing them all so far :grimacing:.

@bcopeland - super strange--but I believe this to be a case of missing ACK packets for S2-encrypted devices.

I started out noticing that it seems there are issues if you plug/unplug the extender too rapidly.

There seems to be a second "disconnected" message sent about 20 or so secs AFTER the first one (the first one fires right after it is unplugged). Same on the re-connect.

This shows a SINGLE unplug--wait--re-plug action for my extender.

Now, based on this, I'm not sure what it going on with the distance. Maybe I was unplugging and replugging too quickly (Iess than a minute or so) and it was getting confused.

It seems if you unplug/replug too rapidly, it gets that "duplicate" status report from the FIRST action--and the second one never shows up.

That's EXACTLY what happened here:

I unplugged it and plugged it RIGHT back in. The result--the initial unplug showed up, NOTHING showed up when I plugged it back in. Then, the duplicate unplug appears. The re-plug NEVER was logged.

My idea. Something may be killing the ACK from the Hub to the device.

As such, the extender is sending the first event. Waiting for an ACK--and NOT sending anything else at that point. About 20 sec later, it sends the REDO status frame because it never got the ACK. Again, it doesn't get the ACK--but, after waiting a bit this second time, it just gives up.

That would explain all this. AND be a huge issue with power outages (they are often really messy--lots of on/off/on/off events in rapid succession). But, a very common "power" problem is a short "blink off"--where the power goes off and comes on a few seconds later. With the behavior I'm seeing here, that would ABSOLUTELY cause the device to stay on "battery" mode improperly (if the power outage was for under about a minute, the "connected to mains" status would never get sent, leaving it showing "on battery" forever).

Here's another example with a different device showing this may be happening:

22 seconds after the first "battery is 100%", there's a second one (Ring G2 contact sensor here).

And, here, with my S2 (Schlage) garage door lock (it doesn't wait as long):

So, this appears to be an S2 encryption-only issue and it's very repeatable.

Note that I did not see this with my S0 locks nor my other devices that are include with no encryption.

That's my hypothesis. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2 Likes

I've had a number of power blips that were only 1-3s long that showed up as expected on all 6 of my ring extenders. Recently over the holidays.

But I have seen 1x where the extender got stuck in the wrong status, but that was 4 months ago. So I dunno.

In your case are the extenders routing through something else, or directly connected to the hub?

It was direct.

This wasn't a fluke--it's every time.

Weird. Hopefully that will be useful for Bryan!

1 Like

How did you end up getting the devices to the “real” states? Just wait longer before plugging back in or re-closing the window? I’ve rebooted but things are still “stuck.”

I unplugged the extender--then waited a couple minutes or so before plugging it in.

1 Like

Thank you! And just to be complete in my reporting, the hub reboot did get my keypads back online (debatably the most important aspect). It just didn't fix any of the sensors.

edit: Again, just to confirm, leaving extender unplugged for a while then plugging back in, it now hows mains power. Similarly, contact sensor left open for several minutes before closing, solves the issue. Thanks @rob9!

1 Like

You're welcome, for sure!! I was needing to figure that out for myself, too!! Glad it helped. :slight_smile:

@bcopeland any chance you could take a look at @rob9's hypothesis? This issue has rendered all my Ring gen2 motion detector useless (if he is correct, it seems as if the periods of motion are very short and so the sensor never gets "back" to inactive). Happy to send any sort of debug info. My sensors haven't reported motion in over 3 weeks but they do still report tamper right away when I pop the cover off. They are both inside stairwells which I imagine would contribute to very short motion events .

@rob9 Looks like a potential fix in 2.2.7:

• Increased Supervision retry limit on Ring Alarm Contact Sensor G2 to be more resilient to S2 Re-Synchronization events.

Appreciate the gods looking out on this one :raised_hands: .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.