[2.2.4.153]Update failing to complete [C5]

Updated hub to 2.2.4.153, light on hub went blue and after > 30 minutes it still showed applying update. I shutdown the hub for 30 seconds and powered the hub back up from the diagnostics menu.

Hub booted to Blue light only accessible on port 8081. Rolled back to 2.2.4.148 and then ran update again to 2.2.4.153. Hub is showing Applying update again and is displaying the blue light again. @gopher.ny I will revert back to 2.2.4.148 and PM you my HubID so you can look at the logs.

Likewise for me, the reboot following a failed update is sat staring at its own navel...

Found the hub by email, will look through logs now.

1 Like

Great, you beat me to it. Thanks for taking a look.

It's the same exact issue on both hubs. It looks like the hub is trying to start two instances of its software - there are two process ids. Once of them exits, as expected, but another seems to be frozen in place. This brings it to grand total of three instances of this issue, all on C5s. I'm starting to see a pattern here.

For those encountering this issue, please roll back to previous version using diagnostics tool at port 8081. Trying an update again isn't going to work. I will have to create a hot fix. Once it's ready, I'll post a note here in addition to release notes. Also, please send me a note so I know how many people are affected.

5 Likes

Ok

I was able to apply the update to my test C-5, which is idle and has no devices. I just use it to test software before putting it on my C-7.

C3, C5 and C7 all updated OK.
I'm just lucky I guess. :wink:

Yeah, so far I have only heard of it affecting a small portion of hubs. The hub I have it on has almost nothing on it, hub mesh is about it, no rules or apps. I updated 1 C4, 1 C5 and 1 C7 without issue, but the lucky hub that is currently doing the least didn't want to play today. :man_shrugging:

Update has been running for over 12 hrs on two C5's without any issues.

Just to clarify do we think there is a bug with .153 ? I'm on a c5

[RESOLVED] my C-7 appears to be bricked as a result of trying to update from 148 to 153. Sadly, it is 6 states away, won't be able to get to it until Sunday.

[Edit:

• power-cycling resolved this
  • updated to 158 ok subsequently
  • note to self: install a non-hubitat power plug (or one controlled by a 2nd hub) for remote power cycling :slight_smile:
  • Thx @gopher.ny for jumping right on this, hopefully issues won't be widespread]

Yes, power cycle and roll back to 148 from diagnostics tool (8081) if that doesn't work is the way to go. I'll pick through the logs once the hub is accessible again, there may be clues.

1 Like

I suspect that is whats happening on my C4 hub.. Diagnostic says the new version is running but not accessible from port 80 or 8080.

I seem to have the same problem in trying to update my new C7 from 2.2.4.158 to 2.2.5.120. First try I was waiting almost an hour, with the screen showing “applying update.” Powering down didn’t bring it back. I stumbled upon the diagnostic tool port info on this site and was successful in rolling back the update. I tried again, but the same result: stuck “applying update for more than 15 minutes.”
Is there a way for me to be able to get the update?
Thanks,

Here are the steps to try;

• Go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/
  • Reboot the hub from there, see if it comes up.
  • If not, go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/ again, revert to previous version.
  • After it comes up, go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/ yet again and "revert" to version 2.2.5.
  • It's possible that 2.2.5 is not showing as an option at this point. Use Download latest version to get it onto the hub. Doing so doesn't switch to the downloaded version, so once download is done, use revert option to switch.
  • If it still doesn't come up, revert to previous version and let us know.

Bad result. I was able to "revert" to to 2.2.5, but in the process I downloaded an even more recent version of 2.2.5(.2.2?), and after a power cycle, it won't respond. Light turns from blue to green, but no response on ip addresss, or on myhub:8081, so I don't seem to have much I can do.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mark

Green is good... your hub must have jumped to a new IP address.
Try http://find.hubitat.com/ - as long as hub has internet connection, web site will probably find it.
If hub doesn't show up there, please check devices connected to the router,

My goodness. Why did it do that? Yes it picked a new IP, and is now running at the latest update.
Thanks for the quick response.
Mark

If you can, reserve the hubs IP/mac address on your router. This way you will keep the same IP address.