[2.2.4.139] Woke up to Slowwwww world - delays & non-responsive

I'm gonna say no. It's not like it's all contact sensors...even motion is affected.

However, one closet does have a motion detector directly associated with a switch for a light. I also have a couple of directly associated switches in the basement for 3-way purpose. They are reliable.

I'd like to make some of those Ecolink sensors directly associated as well, but haven't found a way.

OK. Hmmm.

Do you have a basic time based automation, or any automations you run on a schedule? Just curious really, I think if we could isolate a case that works it might point us to why the others don't. Personally, I've experienced specific rules (Motion lighting with some of the built in conditionjs) that I could never get to to work, but I have other automations that work first time, every time.

So try to automate a simple light switch (zwave or zigbee) or plug to come on and go off on a set (periodic) schedule, and see what happens.

S

I have a floor lamp plugged into a switched outlet that comes on at sundown. I haven't noticed screwing up except around the daylight saving time switch, as I recall. As I've said, these rules work: you just have to wait for them....sometimes.

I would submit that you have a chatty device or several that are spamming the hub. How do your logs look while the hub is running?

1 Like

+1

Did you ever do that hub statistics that I posted in one of your other threads? That might point to a specific app or device that is causing problems.

1 Like

I found three links: enable, disable, and report. It didn't seem like it provided anything useful. I might have not let it run long enough or I had the wrong links:

I do have a presence sensor that reports in every 20 seconds.

I'm going to look into this more:

You should end up with a huge list of app numbers, times, and so on.

So you enabled, let run for 5 minutes or more, then went to stats and it was blank?

Here is stats before enabling.

stat

Here is after I enabled.

stats1

Here is after running for a minute, and hitting browser refresh button.

Do you not get something like this?

running now...

This is what I got after five minutes:

So what are device 175 and 147?

You can either browse your devices, or go to (your hub's IP)/device/edit/175 or /device/edit/147

You also may want to let this run for a while and see if anything slows or shows changes over time. I wouldn't let it run continuously, but I don't think letting it go for maybe an hour will hurt.

How do you track down the device and app ids? The links in @lewis.heidrick 's post don't work.

They are both ST presence sensors which report in every 20 seconds.
I'll try to run it when things slow down.

The AppID is similar, (your hub's IP)/installedapp/configure/(insert app number here)/mainPage

1 Like

Try to capture for a bit longer period as well so outliers will stick out more.

2 Likes

The links work after you replace APPID or DEVICEID with the ID in question.

1 Like

Yeah, that was dumb on my part.

1 Like

What do you consider "bad" in these results? I've used these and discarded a couple of apps/devices that seemed to have absurdly long runtime, but I've no measuring stick to evaluate....suggestions?

Hmm the run time is milliseconds isn't it?
S

I am only going by what I have seen. According to Lewis Heidrick, "runtime over 100 is suspect".

To further quote Lewis: (formatting edited by me)

I don't know what the real answer here is, but a few hundred millseconds at most would seem to be normal. If you think about how long it should take to sense something, contact the hub, and to process that and do an action, you are talking about maybe 500ms (1/2 second) or so. I would say 1000ms or more would be pretty ridiculous with this processor and memory, UNLESS you are involving the cloud or doing some fairly intense rule logic processing.

I do see very heavy and long processing with Echo Speaks on my hub, for example. It is the worst of any app I have. But I can see why with the heavy cloud reliance, and how large the app is, and how many app and driver codes it takes to make this app.

Even then, it doesn't seem to affect my hub, maybe because this is the only app that is so memory intensive? Everything else is a fraction of what I see compared to the Echo device and Echo app shown below.

device id 442 runcount 28 total runtime 47108 average run time 1682.4285714286
app id 309 runcount 140 total runtime 49531 average run time 353.7928571429

Other apps, like a motion lighting and it's sensor are more something like this: (stats taken a few seconds apart so they don't match how many times they have run)

device id 801 runcount 5 total runtime 46 average run time 9.2
app id 1127 runcount 2 total runtime 218 average run time 109
1 Like