2.2.3 ZWave Firware update got to 79% and has been stuck there for an hour

The 2.2,3 update went through fine, I went to ZWave Details to update ZWave Firmware. It started and has been stuck on Z-Wave Updater: transferring firmware.. 79% for an hours. Should I reboot an try again?

I would reboot from diagnostic tool.

"Z-Wave Updater: ERROR: The device was unable to receive the requested firmware data"

I am getting this over and over again after various % complete uploading the firmware.

My guess is that you need to completely reboot the radio as it is bogged down/mucked up for whatever reason.

Gracefully shut down the hub. Remove power for 30s. Power back up. Wait 3 minutes. Then try the firmware update.

I suspect with everybody hammering the cloud hosted firmware file, things will be sketchy for a spell?

1 Like

it's in the same type of cloud location as the platform versions, loading shouldn't be an issue...
It's already cached on the hub by the time the pct complete indicator starts up...

Reboot, shutdown, safe mode, doesn't work. Is there a log somewhere to look at?

Did you do a complete shutdown to the red light?.. Unplug for a few seconds then plug back in?

I did as it was mentioned above. I can try it again.

I have tried the update about 20 times at this point. It gets to a random position during transferring firmware and reports back an error.

If it fails again... Can you PM me your hubid?

Hmm mine is stuck at 34% for more than 10 minutes now.

I did a full shut down this morning to a red light, unplugged for 30 seconds like suggest and I told it to do a Zwave firmware update again and it went through in about 15 minutes this time. It seems all is good here now.

2 Likes

i'm having the same issue. i also tried to shutdown, unplug for a minute. still didn't work. any tips? should I PM you the hub id?

After restarting your hub, go to the Z-Wave Details page and then just sit and wait for 10 minutes.

When you load the Z-Wave Details page a lot of background communications are initiated, you want to wait for them to fully subside. 10 minutes is more than you should need to wait, but it doesn't hurt to wait "too long" and in edge cases might help to wait a longer.

Also close any open browser pages that are accessing your hub - only have the Z-Wave Details page open.

After the wait time, hit the firmware update button.

Majority of hubs update w/out issue (my two C7's updated w/out issue, no waiting required, many pages open accessing the hub), but in some cases it just seems to take the additional steps and a few tries to complete the update.

I also had issues getting the firmware to update - let me tell you what my problem was!

After I tried all sorts of waiting periods, and finding that nothing worked, I finally decided to use my head!
I found that once every hour, I had put in (many months ago), the great app "Hub Watchdog (Zwave)", which tests the speed of the zwave mesh. Of course, after disabling that app, and disabling a chatty (power reporting plug), it worked like a charm.

3 Likes

this worked for me. thanks! and um, out of curiousity, should i see any improvements or differences?

I think that you will see a great improvement if you have an extensive zwave network that makes a lot of commands all at once. A common scenario in most HA situations, is turning on or off a large number of lights all at once. This zwave firmware upgrade should improve those situations.

yes i have about 90 devices....can't wait for it to be instant!

Please note, that it may take a while for the zwave routing procedures to work themselves out. I've read that it may take up to 24 hours. A full zwave repair may speed that up. Also, I suggest looking at Tony Fleisher's zwave mesh report to see what your routes are - it's excellent.

1 Like

Interesting. I'm totally surprised that so many of my devices are connecting DIRECT. I have a 3000 sq ft house. About 85% of my devices are powered. Is this expected? Anything else you see that might seem fishy with the setup? Things do work quite well, but I'm always curious if there are strange things happening. FireShot Capture 031 - Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details - 192.168.50.104.pdf