2.2.3.118 - GE Smart Fan Control and Alexa

Confirmed it is not fixed in 2.2.3.142.

1 Like

@bravenel - is this issue on the fix-it list somewhere?

If you are going to ping someone about it, it probably should be @bcopeland.

It would be nice to get it fixed, but let's admit it is just an annoyance having Miss Thing chatter on about not being able to do something she just did successfully.

1 Like

I promise it is on the list.

5 Likes

@bcopeland - thanks for confirming!

@bcopeland thanks for letting us know. I have the exact same Alexa Jasco Fan control response issue. It turns on/off ok but Alexa responds with 'not sure what went wrong'

I'm with you guys. I'm tired of my wife making fun of alexa doing the thing but saying no.

With any luck they will get the C7 issues all ironed out soon so some of these smaller bugs can be squashed.

1 Like

As always, I'll go to my favorite workaround. Create a virtual switch and an Alexa routine to turn the switch on when she hears, "Alexa, make that bad boy spin!". The virtual switch turns on the fan on the Hubitat side.

I like messing with her like that.

1 Like

Just including myself in this annoyance. GE/Jasco fan controllers doing this in my house too. I think I have heard this on a couple other devices too but canโ€™t remember which ones. I will post if I get something reporting this way that is not a fan.

LJ

Add me to the list as well.

I'm on C-4 hub and receiving the "I'm not sure what went wrong" from Alexa for all of my GE Z-Wave Plus Fan's. Checking on Respond immediately without waiting for device has no impact.

To troubleshoot further I configured a Virtual Fan and added it to Alexa. The issue happens with the Virtual Fan as well.

No new info here. Just summarizing the thread for those who prefer tl;dr:

• Known issue affecting drivers that use both fan control and level capabilities
  • They are working on it
  • Temporary workaround (if you need one) is to abstract the fan out of Alexa's knowledge. That is, don't use any kind of fan on the Alexa side, but instead have a routine triggered on speech on the Alexa side that controls a virtual switch on the Hubitat side, such as "Alexa, kitchen fan medium".

Can I add a โ€œMe Too!โ€ Here? Search but couldnโ€™t find anything then created my own thread only to have someone point me to this thread, so I am adding I have the issue too. My fans are controlled by bond, but because of support for fans in alexa, I switched over to using HE as my central control point to ensure state is always updated. Now I get the same issue too, so it is not like the GE Fan device that is the issue.

Confirmed it is not fixed in 2.2.3.148

Can we get an update on where this is on the list? I've just confirmed the issue is not resolved on C-7 2.2.3.148.

1 Like

Just to add my 2 cents and make sure everyone knows, not sure if already mentioned here somewhere.......same thing happens with my 3 Hampton Bay Controllers.

1 Like

same issue on C-5 2.2.3.145. It used to work just great :frowning:

Thanks for looking into it.

1 Like

Glad I found this thread, I'm having the exact same issue, and was about to make a post in the Support section. GE Zwave Fan Control, Alexa responds with "I'm not quite sure what went wrong", but everything seems to work.

I can confirm that version 2.2.3.148 does not have it fixed also.

1 Like

My Alexa started working the day after I posted my me-too comment, and now it stopped working again. It is very fickle.
"Alexa, turn off fan" -- "I'm not quire sure what went wrong", or "Which Fan" (and no answers work)
"Alexa, set fan speed low" -- success
"Alexa, set fan speed medium" -- "I'm not quire sure what went wrong"
"Alexa, set fan speed high" -- success

So, the issue seems to only be with medium speed, and the off command. As I have all my fans in different rooms, with their own Echo devices also associated with the room, it is common to not have to fully name each device, but instead just refer to the device type, and it has always worked. I don't think this is related anyways, because I can't make it work with the full name, it just doesn't randomly tell me it doesn't know which device I want.

I also am not ruling out a combination of Echo updates and the hubitat update, because the proximity no longer seems to work anymore. If I command Alex from my office, the Guest room, Gym and Office all answer my command, but only one works, and the other two complain. This is new too, which is why I think it may be a combination of updates

1 Like