2.2.3.118 - GE Smart Fan Control and Alexa

@HAL9000 - glad it's not just me!

1 Like

Fan control was added to Alexa in this update. Maybe @bobbyD can help with this since it's obviously not unique to your setup.

I'm at least glad to know it's not Z-wave related ( I have enough concerns in that area)... rather a driver mismatch between HE and Alexa this fan device.

I have 3 of these switches, and 2 work fine, 1 sees this error. Haven't done any troubleshooting yet.

FWIW, the level and switch events are logged immediately, and Alexa's response is quite immediate as well .. no lag or timeout evident. Could be a driver issue, but as the lady said .. I'm not quite sure what went wrong.

1 Like

@bcopeland is aware of this fan issue.

4 Likes

Same problem with my Bond hub integration for HE

Same here oh zwave not plus GE fan controller.

Changing to immediate response removed the devices unresponsive message and now is not sure what went wrong.

Working but annoying, glad I found this and known issue.

I just updated to 2.2.3.132 and the problem is still there. I'm guessing they've had their hands pretty busy with z-wave issue. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

1 Like

Same here .. but in testing just now I found what could be a workaround.

Me: Alexa, set fan to 25%
Alexa: Iโ€™m not quite sure what went wrong.
Me: Alexa, set fan to low.
Alexa: OK
Me: Alexa, set fan to 75%
Alexa: Iโ€™m not quite sure what went wrong.
Me: Alexa, set fan to max.
Alexa: OK

Havenโ€™t figured out a way to avoid back talk when turning off, though.

Confirmed it is not fixed in 2.2.3.135.

3 Likes

I was just installing that, hoping it would be fixed. It is annoying, although less so than if it did not work at all, I guess.

Same problem with Leviton Vizia fan controller as well as the GE fan controller. It appears to be related to the GE Smart Fan Control. It started happening two updates ago. It worked fine before that.

If you have door locks on your system, I don't recommend setting the "Respond immediately without waiting for device" option as you will not get the correct confirmation that the door is locked. Alexa will respond that it is locked whether the command executes or not. I tried it and changed back when I got false responses.

Good to know. I don't share locks with Alexa. Only Tim Cook needs to know when my doors are unlocked :rofl:

Also, that setting doesn't fix this problem. It's not a timeout. It's the additional level information that upsets her. You can avoid the problem by saying "low", "med", "high". It still gets confused with "off", though.

1 Like

Confirmed it is not fixed in 2.2.3.142.

1 Like

@bravenel - is this issue on the fix-it list somewhere?

If you are going to ping someone about it, it probably should be @bcopeland.

It would be nice to get it fixed, but let's admit it is just an annoyance having Miss Thing chatter on about not being able to do something she just did successfully.

1 Like

I promise it is on the list.

5 Likes