Alexa Skill - support for window shades/blinds

@bcopeland, now that you're onboard at Hubitat, any chance we could get this added in?

I've worked out the hard parts here: GitHub - joelwetzel/Alexa-Skill-For-Hubitat-Shades-And-Blinds: An Alexa skill to interact with a Hubitat smarthome hub, and expose shades and blinds to Alexa. (Because the native Hubitat Alexa skill does not yet support shades and blinds.)

Just needs to be integrated into the existing skill. My code there is under a Creative Commons CC0 license, so it's public domain and Hubitat is free to use/remix/include any part of it with zero obligation or rights reserved to me.

3 Likes

That would be great; I saw @bcopeland’s updates yesterday and saw that it did include some Alexa tweaks and was hoping to see “blinds”!

1 Like

Keep an eye out on release notes.. More coming to voice assistants..

7 Likes

I see this is now in the latest release! I’m super excited!

1 Like

Also you got in better support for fan controllers! Mine have “worked”, but with some exceptions such as “set fan to medium” not working, I think maybe because Alexa saw them as dimmers. Having her understand them as fans will be awesome.

1 Like

I should mention.. There is a small bug in fans at the moment that I'm tracking down.. Specifically with drivers that use both fan control and level capabilities. She gets a little confused with both capabilities reporting at the same time using the same directive response.. I'm hunting that down.. It works.. she just complains that it's not responding.

2 Likes

I'm excited too! I have some shades controlled by the Bond Bridge but after the latest update, I still cannot get Alexa to open/close them. I can still control them with on/off commands.

I tried removing/re-adding them back on the Amazon Echo Skill in the HE App settings but no luck. Anyone else get shades working with Bond and Alexa?

@bcopelandI've got a similar thing - I have a load of blinds using the Qubino Shutter module. On the latest Hubitat release they come up in Alexa as a switch and a thermostat... but not a blind. Even after removing and re-adding.... any help?

Following. Reported similar issue with Bond integration in a separate thread.

Hi @bcopeland, I finally updated my C4 to latest firmware. It's been working wonderfully - no performance issues, no z-wave issues, the new shade controller works, and Alexa now recognizes my fans as fans. This "I'm not quite sure what went wrong" issue is the only one I'm having in the entire release. It seems to happen about 50% of the time, which might match up to Alexa randomly choosing from 2 directive responses and only understanding 1, based on what you said earlier.

For info: My devices are either GE Fan Controllers, or Virtual Fan Controllers.

This is why I'm still using the old Alexa integration and still have my shades setup as dimmers with custom routines for "open" and "close" :frowning:

Is the integration (and Alexa) capable of room awareness for the "window blinds" device type yet?

For example if I have two rooms with four blinds a piece, I can just say "Alexa open the blinds" and the blinds in the room that hears me opens.

I can't seem to get that set up but trying to rule out user error.

It doesn’t work for me, but I think the limitation is on Alexa’s side. It doesn’t seem to understand “the blinds in my current room” the same way it understands “turn off the lights”.

You have to create the rooms and assign them to rooms inside the alexa app on your phone

I’ve done that, just the same as with the lights. For example, I created a group/room in the Alexa app for my office, and assigned all the lights and both smart blinds to that room, as well as the echo device.

If I go in the office and just say “turn off the lights”, she correctly turns off 3 smart switches.

But if I go in there and say “close the blinds”, she says I don’t have a device named that and I need to be more specific. So I end up having to say “close the left office blinds” and then “close the right office blinds” as separate commands. (I named them for the left and right window.)

Interesting.. Ok.. I’ll check it out

2 Likes

I just tested it so I could give you a good example:

I said "Alexa, close the blinds".

Alexa says "A few things share the name blinds. Which one do you want?"

It's possible she would figure it out if my blinds didn't have "blinds" in their names? But she does just fine with lights that have "lights" in the names, so idk.

1 Like

@bcopeland did any work on this make it into 2.2.4? No worries if not. Not an emergency.

I'm running into some issues with controlling my shades via Alexa that I didn't run into with SmartThings. If I set my shades into a group, and ask Alexa to "set SHADE GROUP to 50%", she responds with "SHADE GROUP doesn't support that." Single shade control is fine, but I really don't want to have to have to issue multiple commands.

I have not found any way to successfully group shades within Alexa, whether it be on the Hubitat side or the Alexa side. Tried a user app called "Shade Control," but it doesn't respect level or position (it's either completely open or completely closed). Groups and Dimmers didn't work for me. Banging my head here and could really use a hand.

@AdamV, @bcopeland
Is this fixed?
I just added a qubino shutter module and it's recognised as a thermostat