2.07 New dashboards

@JasonJoelOld Then that I use Canary on my Chromebook would be a problem then? Canary would be considered alpha. I have been living dangerously for many, many years.

But the satisfaction of finding a bug shouldn't be undervalued :smirk:- I've not so far seen a hot fix related to a fundamental issue that crashes someone's system or causes a security flaw (as opposed to the other hub ....). As early adopters it's part of the experience.

Kudos to the Hubitat team on continuing to deliver regular and constantly improving updates!

5 Likes

Not on a production system that you are relying on.... I have zero (really less than zero) value in that.

And on the last couple of releases there were confirmed issues on the Hubitat firmware releases that 'no one in the beta test group saw' - for various/whatever reasons. To be fair the team fixed them quickly once found!

I don't mind beta testing, as long as I know (and agree) that I'm doing it. :smile:

So now I'll wait a week or so before upgrading. And the posts I've seen so far today reinforce to me that is the right strategy.

I also applaud the Hubitat team, though, for making continued progress.

Depends on how big of a deal it is to you if it breaks... One of the Canary builds trashed my pixelbook (I am forced to run Canary on it for work testing reasons), but I have a backup Chromebook on stable. :smile:

I don't see a bug with HE as being particularly serious. I could go back to 2.06 quite easily and I have backups I can restore. I suppose if the hardware were bricked I would worry.

I have been on Canary for almost 3 years. There have only been few times where I needed to go back to Dev or Beta but only for a few days. Canary isn't as unstable as people may think. I do lots of bug reporting and hopefully it makes a difference.

The difference is that you knew about, and agreed to, the beta testing. That is different than the last few hubitat releases.

Production firmware releases have an expectation to be bug free, within reason.

Maybe hubitat just needs to do like some vendors and call the initial public release a 'controlled' release before escalating it to final/production after a week or two.

But whatever. It is their product, they can do it however they want.

As with all things in life, it is up to the end user to decide when to install updates - caveat emptor. And I genuinely appreciate that hubitat never forces updates.

1 Like

Some magic: dashboard suddenly returned on the left ….. :smile:
I have removed the TM dashboard (old version). That seems to be the cause of menu disapper.
I have removed the new dashboard and reinstalled it. No dashboard on the left…

EDIT: Im getting confused… dashboard appear and disappear depending on the operations I do…
ok. a give up for now. Good nigth!

1 Like

Tell Microsoft. :wink:

1 Like

I don't install their updates on day one either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I have been a Linux user for the past 25 years so I pretty much avoid it altogether.

1 Like

Lol at that. I run a lot of Linux based distros at work and have had updates break stuff on them just as many times as I've had Microsoft updates break stuff.

We actually keep detailed logs on these types of issues, and technically our Linux based distros have about 20% more upgrade related issues logged than our Microsoft systems. not that that means anything, because that's a very installation specific thing. And many of the issues logged on the Linux side are driver related.

1 Like

True enough. Linux is not without problems but I can usually work around them.

And don't get me wrong I'm not defending MS at all.

My point is all software is too complicated, and full of bugs. there is no magic platform that's infinitely better than any other.

They all have issues, and they all suck. :slight_smile:

Although in my subjective, and data driven, opinion - chrome os is far less buggy, on our systems with how we use them, than many other platforms.

that doesn't mean chrome OS is less buggy overall, just that the bugs don't impact areas that we use in the OS.

With the exception of your drivers of course.

definitely not! I found two really stupid bugs in my GE switch drivers this morning. :smile:

1 Like

And on day one I installed those updates.

1 Like

brave man. I updated those in the middle of the night after only 2 hours of sleep. :slight_smile:

To your earlier point though, it is really easy to roll back to a previous version. So it is low risk.

2 Likes

Barring an update that hard bricked the hub, HE is about the safest device I have ever used.

1 Like

You just put the jinx on us all.