ZWAVE4008 add troubles

I have 8 Ultra Pro zw4008 switches that are not adding into my Hubitat hub. I’ve tried every step possible from the support documentation, I’ve reached out to GE/Jasco about resetting the switches and trying again to add them into the hub. I still haven’t had any luck. They told me to look into the ZWave controller. I’m at my wits end with this and I also purchased a remote/protection subscription for the year. 54.99.

Is there any chance you can send me a new hub? I don’t think the zwave controller is working.

despite being new switches, have you tried an exclude first? have you ensured your z-wave firmware is upgraded?

1 Like

Realize you said that you've already tried all of tips from the support documentation, but let's step through this one more time if you don't mind.

What do you get if from the HE ZWave Details screen you click on the view logs button, then in another tab again from the HE ZWave Details screen click the exclude button, and then put one of the switches in pairing mode.

2 Likes

Thanks for reaching out. I was actually looking into your case. It doesn't appear that you are dealing with a radio/hardware issue, and the problem may likely be related to the firmware that's running on the switches. Are you trying to include the devices using the smart start? If so, try to include the devices from the hub's web interface instead. Go to Devices then select "Add New Device" then click on "Z-Wave." First, perform an exclusion, then once the failed device is excluded, start an inclusion. When prompted be sure to skip the secure option. Looks like your switches are unable to be encrypted.

Note: whenever you run into a problem, your past logs should be able to further guide you on what next steps you might want to take to remedy a problem or to identify the root cause. Check out this document to familiarize with the logs that your Hubitat Elevation hub provides: Logs | Hubitat Documentation

2 Likes

@cmt Could you also post your z-wave details page in its entirety? Use windows snip.

I’m trying to add the switches through the hubs web interface on my laptop. I choose zwave and click on the inclusion. I activate the switch and nothing happens. I also try to exclude the switch and nothing visually happens on screen. Also you spoke of zwave firmware for the switch. Is that provided by the UltraPro manufacturer?

Stupid question, how do I put a switch into pairing mode? Just by clicking on activate inclusion on the web interface?

it's the z-wave firmware for the hub.

go to settings, z-wave details and if there's an "update firmware" button on the top, click that. it'll pull the latest z-wave firmware

you'd have to read the instructions for your switch on how to do that. for the most part, it's put your hub into inclusion mode, then while the timer is going, activating a switch and it should be picked up. of course it may vary by device, so refer to the switch's instructions for more details

No, looks like the switch is failing S2 encryption, so is likely the firmware on the device itself, not the hub.

1 Like

Ok that’s what I have done, turning the paddle switch on and off twice to activate it.

There isn’t much

Antennas are generally recommended to be positioned perpendicular to the ground/ vertical. Having them at an angle may decrease your horizontal range.

My turn for a stupid question, are the switches actually powered on? I cannot see the leds in your picture, but that may be just because of the image.

I found the zwave firmware but without having the zwave plus switch added how do I update the firmware on the switch?

When the switches blue led light is on the load wired to it is off. When the blue led is off the load wired to it is on.

2 Likes

Ok, will do I will straighten them out.

2 Likes

According to the manual for that switch, you put the hub into Exclude then click either the top or bottom paddle ONCE.

You should get a "Unknown device excluded" message on the hub. Factory reset of the SWITCH is to click the top paddle quickly 3 times then the bottom paddle 3 times. The LED should blink 5 times to confirm.

Only after an exclude should you try Includes. Partially complete Includes are not good for the error free use of the Hub. But we'll get to that once you get one of these working with the hub. Include works the same way.. put the Hub into Include, then click either the top or bottom paddle once. I have several of these switches and had no trouble with them, but that just means I expect them to work, just like you do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It shouldn’t matter, considering how close they are to the hub, but may if you want to connect devices further away.
Have you tried shutting down the hub from the settings page, pulling the power at the outlet for 15 seconds, then powering it back up? Sometimes the radio can get in a weird state and only a complete shutdown reboots the radios.

Yes I have tried power cycling it, but haven’t had any luck.