Zwave won't add?

Wondering if my unit may have an issue with the zwave radio. It was an Amazon returned unit, so there's that too. I did get the registration reset, so at least I have full access now.

I have several ZigBee items added as well as some apps linking some outside services and all that is working great. Super excited how fast my Hue bulbs fire off the dashboard also.

All my motion sensors are zwave (as are the bulk of my current/working to transition from ST system components). My first sensor I wanted to add was a Zooz 4 in 1 that worked great on ST, but looks like it's the devil here. First tried to pair it directly anyway, and while it was found, it never completed the pair. I did find my zwave stick to try and add it so I could pair the 4 in 1 without security next, and similarly I got the stick to start the add, but it also timed out with an error message. No new devices in my list, but at that point I did have 2 items listed in my zwave network. Didn't know if that meant that they were ghost items, so I reset the zwave and tried again. This time I tried a Zooz mini sensor, and it timed out also, but never even showed up on the zwave network. And I just doing something wrong, or is it possible the radio is hosed?

TIA!

Can you post your z-wave details page in its entirety?

1 Like

I would do the sensors last, if you have any hard wired devices do those first to build up a good mesh.

For the Zooz 4 in 1 ZSE40 please see my tips and custom driver here to help reduce reporting spam and keep your zwave mesh happy: [DRIVER] Zooz Sensors Advanced (ZSE40 / ZSE44)

3 Likes

assuming it's the C7, have you done the firmware upgrade for the z-wave radio? make sure your hub is fully up to date before adding devices to it

Well, finally got something added, apparently I missed the whole uninclude cycle step🤦‍♂️. Zwave was fully updated and all the other hubitat firmware updates were applied too, so all should be good there. I was adding this item first since my bedroom is close to the hub, and is the first room I'm kicking over to hubitat. I use my sleep number bed to switch the whole day/night cycle of the house off, and also have a Hampton bay ceiling fan that is controlled by bed presence. Just need a to add motion to turn the light on and off.

I do have some hardwired in wall relays nearby as well (Zooz zen 51) that are probably up next to flip, so I'll try doing those this weekend. Ended up being the only way I could maintain power to colored smart lights and still let all the dumb wall switches in a 4 way circuit work normally so kids/wife/visitors didn't kill the power all the time. Maybe I'll reset the zwave radio again and start there for a hardwired baseline, I just wanted my old bedroom control back that died when ST killed groovy. The rest of the house still works as planned on the ST interface, aside from needing to use clock time to set day/night.

I'll also look into the alternate controller software for the 4 in 1 sensor, I hadn't found that article yet. I'm still not sure I'm setting up the zwave stick to work correctly as a secondary controller, so I'm a bit nervous on the whole non-secure add process. I only have the zwave stick because thesmartesthouse sent it to me for updating to a beta firmware on the zen51 (I have a unique wiring requirement to achieve the situation discussed above and on power loss it resets to open circuit) , which I also never got to execute on ST and have since lost the email to try on Hubitat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Worst case, I might just leave the few 4 in 1 sensors I have on the ST hub, they seemed to work fine there. I have a decent mix of whatever zwave motion sensors were on sale at the time I needed them, and they just ended up wherever I wanted to add them then.

1 Like

I have 3 of the 500 series zse40 sensors on a c7 and they work fine. The key is updating to the 32.12 firmware and adjusting the parameters.

1 Like

How do you tell if 500 or 700 series? Mine is a ver2.0 zwave plus, somewhat assuming it's a 700 series?

The 700 series will show "ZSE40 700" printed on the back cover and also can pair with S2 security, so it would have a QR code with an SDK somewhere.

The 500 series can only pair with S0 security (or none).

If they are mounted and you cannot see the back, the other way to tell is the firmware version reported after pairing it. You will also know at this point if it pairs with S0 security, it is a 500.

1 Like

Where do you see what security it pairs with? I just added it after excluding it, it does say zwave securepairingcomplete :true at the bottom of it's info page. It also shows firmware version as 17.9.

17.9 is an older version, I do not think you can even update it.
You can see the security info on Settings >> Z-Wave Details page. It will probably say S0.

It is listed as s0. Is it so old I can't use your driver? One other issue I'm seeing is neither of the motion sensors I have will shut off their led indicators, even with the led turned off in settings. Any ideas on how to force it to accept the settings? My wife will absolutely not accept a flashing led for anyone in our room at night.

My driver might work but I have no way to test it. The built in driver I believe was built more for the older models. The LED setting should be the same. You have to change the setting then wake the device up by using a paperclip and holding the button down for about 3 seconds.

Mine says ver2.0 on the back and takes the cr123a battery. Looking at the Zooz website, that version should take firmware up to 32.12 but it must not have updated ever on my ST network (I don't manually deal with stuff like that much once it's up and running ok). I also tried the paperclip wake, that didn't seem to do anything. FWIW, my ZSE09 mini sensor has been "live" for 36 hours and also still has a flashing LED, despite trying the same stuff when I joined it and hitting the update button in hubitat settings as well.

Might have some time today to bump the hardwired relay over at lunch today, we will see how that goes.

The update to 32.12 is only available if your firmware is already on 32.x
If you do the wakeup correctly the LED will flash (color based on current temp).
If you change the settings on the driver page and just wait for the device to wake up on its own (usually every 12 hours) then the driver will adjust the settings. The hub might be having a heck of a time talking to it though if you only have those two sensors on zwave right now. Really need to start with some hard wired devices.

For the ZSE09, just power it off and back on again, that should get the LED to stop flashing, it probably got stuck in the flashing state after pairing.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just pull them both off the network and start over then. I've had them sitting right next to the hub itself and tried to push the updated settings and the hus says they refreshed, but both still flash. Popped the batteries out and that didn't make any difference either. I also tried to firmware update them both via the firmware update tool, but neither did anything. Do I need to manually step them both up one update at a time?

One other detail, the mini sensor (of which I have several still on ST) is listing as a dome sensor for the device type. Is this the best driver to use on that one?

If they are next to the hub they should be fine. Battery devices do not respond to commands unless they are woken up. For the ZSE40 you would need to wake it manually as I said, or WAIT for it to wake up on its own. The battery device drivers will typically queue up config changes and send them over the next time the device wakes up. How are you determining "the hub says they are refreshed?"

Can you post a screenshot of the State Variables section and your Preferences section?

For firmware updates, same deal, you have to wake them up.

What Mini sensor are you talking about? This list has all the Hubitat supported devices and what driver to use: List of Compatible Devices | Hubitat Documentation

Do yourself a favor, now ! Pair all the repeating devices first, starting near the HE hub and working outwards. I didn't do this originally and had no end to problems with Z-wave. The 700 series Z-wave routing is a mystery, but what is clear is that to build a strong resilient mesh, you have to start pairing repeaters first. This was not important with ST, at least while I was running ST, but is critical for HE.

Oh and Welcome !

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.