Zwave Topology

Does this make sense?
Shouldn't the row and column be the same?
Can anyone explain how this works?
Node 5A, row:

Node 5A, column:

5A is battery powered right? ..

One side shows all nodes a node can hear.. The other is all nodes that can hear it.. Battery devices will never be heard during these node neighbor updates.

5A is an Aeotec nano switch.
No, it's not battery powered.

Out of curiosity, How much time was there after the device was added before you captured this topology?

1 Like

:point_up_2:

I've had issues with this device (dropping off, etc.)
So, around a week ago, I excluded, re-included it, and it seemed to be able to be controlled from the device page.
I just did the topology today.

So, any ideas?
Or, do I suspect that it just doesn't work in all cases?

So why is it dropping off the network? I would surmise based upon that chart, that there aren't any neighbors (repeaters) close enough to have it stay connected. AKA weak signal.

Or the device is defective.

But that is my amateur opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

Thanks for your opinion @neonturbo.
MY gut tells me that it's not because it doesn't have any neighbours that are close.
That's because it has a zwave plus device 3 feet away. Furthermore, what's even more of an indication, is that the front door lock is less than 6 inches away - and that has no problem staying on the mesh.
The other possibility is very real - that the device is defective. (It gets buried in the switch box, so it's encased in metal). Unfortunately, that means I have to take the entire box apart, because it's a hidden relay.

That right there might be the whole issue. You have a nice Faraday cage there attenuating the signal.

3 Likes

Correct!
However, there is not much that I can do about it...
I could go back to using 2 zwave plus switches, but the whole point here is to make it seem that there is a couple of regular switches.
Perhaps, I can reposition this AeoTec Nano so that it broadcasts it's signal more in the middle of the box.

I have a Qubino dual relay with the antenna out of the box, up against switch plate back.
For my older Aeotec relays, I changed the box to plastic, was a big headache.
Also have drilled a hole to pop the antenna wire out(a code violation?)

1 Like

"Changing the box to plastic" - you're right - "a big headache" (especially with finished drywall).
Perhaps there are some holes in the metal box (I'll know when I open it up). Maybe I will be able to feed through that small antenna that the aeotec has. Also, maybe it makes a difference where in the box the relay is. Perhaps the middle is better than up against one of the metal sides.

Luckily I was the guy who put the metal boxes in, with drywall screws through the box side plate, at an angle, so it was not as hard. If you have BX cable, you're in for a heck of a weekend, and sheetrock patching, and paint matching

Removing metal boxes is not that bad; just slip a hacksaw blade in between the box and the stud it is attached to then cut the nails or screws holding it in.

2 Likes

I've seen that done before, but I've never done it myself.

That is why the multi-tool was created. With the proper blade, it will make quick work of nails.

I use a slightly modified version of this. Using a wooden dowel and a mallet, I knock the box slightly away from the wall stud. Then I use my oscillating multipurpose tool to go in and cut the nails holding the box in. I use a Bosch carbide blade designed to cut metal.

It is way faster than using a hacksaw, and as long as the box is even a few millimeters away from the stud, there's no damage to the drywall or the blade.

1 Like

Thanks all for your suggestions.
However, my first approach is going to be to reposition that AeoTec dual nano - perhaps I won't have to take out that metal box.

I assume that everyone here is in agreement with the theory that a zwave device (the aeotec dual nano) would be able to be penetrated better than a zigbee device, due to the lower spectrum (90x vs 2.4).
Correct?