Zwave switches just stop responding to hub

Howdy,

I don't mean to duplicate anything but all the similar threads just don't seem to match my issue exactly. I switched all my devices over from ST 2 weeks ago and have been haunted by this issue ever since. I'm using a C7.

My zwave switches completely lock up randomly throughout the day. The switches are non-responsive through the browser interface and they don't respond to automations. The wierdest part is my zwave sensors still report motion and other readings during these lockups. My Hue bulbs are still controllable through Hubitat during the lockups. Example: I have a rule that turns on a hue bulb and a zwave switch when a zwave sensor detects motion. The hue bulbs will still turn on when the sensor see me but the zwave switch does nothing.

I don't see anything in the logs that indicates an issue but maybe there are more detailed logs I don't know how to access. I have a zwave stick and have used it to hunt for ghost nodes, but have found none. The issue seems to resolve itself about 15-20 minutes after it starts without a hub restart. A soft restart doesn't fix the problem and a proper shutdown and restart only fixes it sometimes.

I have over 30 switches. Mostly ZEN22-VER4. A couple ZEN21-VER4, a zooz ZEN22 V2, 2x VRPA1-1LW, 3x Leviton VRF01-1LZ and two ge/jasco nonplus. I don't believe distance is a problem.

I only had 2 issues when I was setting things up.

1. The zooz 4in1s I have messed stuff up big time in s0. I excluded those and included them with a zstick with no security. They seem to work fine since.
  2. I have older nonplus ecolink contact sensors that included as generic zwave motion sensors. When I change them to generic contact they are crazy slow and lock up the system. I've been using them as motion sensors and they have worked fine.

I have been unable to find a real trigger for these lockups. I'll shut all the lights off, then walk through every room and open every door with every responding as it should and nothing triggering the issue. Then 30 minutes later BAM nothing turns on and I have everyone in the house complaining.

Please let me know your thought on how else I can track and resolve this issue.

Thanks!

You mentioned you have zooz 4in1.

Check this thread

Yes I had read that one and several others like that. That's were I learned to exclude them and add them with a secondary controller with no security. Could they still be causing my issue? They still report motion during the lockups.

I don't have them so I can't answer your question. I had read that thread and noticed your post mentioning the zooz 4in1's. I'm sure others with more knowledge of the C7 will jump in here.

Yeah they were a bunch of fun at the start but I hope they aren't still my issue.

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but I would start by removing and powering down any sensors or repeaters you have (and especially anything by zooz on the c7). See how just the basic switches and outlets work. Then start adding back one at a time and repeat your conditions to see if it locks up. Now if it still locks up with just the switches, you probably have a rogue switch somewhere. I would bet it;s the GE's if it is as they're known to go wonky. You have to play process of elimination. And keep a live log going so you can watch whats happening and when

1 Like

This is good advice. I wish I had done this instead of ripping out my hair for four months... now I'm bald...:smile:

1 Like

Don't pull the ecolinks just change the driver on them to ring alarm contact sensor. That should free up the mesh till the driver issue is fixed in 2.2.5

So I took all the zooz 4in1s off the network and for the past 19 hours I haven't seen any issues. I have 9 of these sensors and they were all included with a secondary controller without security. This is insanely annoying as most of my house doesn't function without them. I now have to replace these.

Zooz is aware of the issue and they are working on it but I don't have a timeline when they will fix it.

Looks like they remove C7 from the compatibility list on their website.

• Hubitat (C-5 or earlier hub only, may not work correctly on C-7 due to S0 security issues)

Yea, zooz support requested them to remove it until they can come up with a fix.