ZWave Switch -> to ZWave Outlet - Simple Automation Rule SOOOO slow

@mitchjs

How many line powered zwave devices do you have? Battery powered devices don't function as repeaters.

lots... only 1 battery powered device (remote)
i got 2 offline devices can that hurt?
HE needs to add stinking online/offline in the zwave details page, ugh

i just set up a rule to use my innovelli red switch in kitchen the button 7 (small button)
to toggle it on off...

some times fast, some times not

dev:402020-05-02 10:55:29.123 pm infoOffice Torchiere Lamp was turned off [digital]
app:2272020-05-02 10:55:06.997 pm infoToggle Office Torchiere Lamp when Kitchen Lights button 7 pushed Toggle
dev:1292020-05-02 10:55:06.874 pm infoKitchen Lights: Button 7 was pushed

i gonna BLAME HUBITAT
it didnt get the command out quick enough

Do you have any Z-Wave devices on your network that are capable of producing Power Monitoring data? These devices often flood a Z-Wave network with too much data slowing everything down to a crawl. As a test, I strongly recommend you DISABLE all power monitoring features of all devices that are capable of this feature, then be sure to click SAVE, and then CONFIGURE. Afterwards, let things settle down for a few minutes and then try your test again.

Also, depending on your device being used to trigger the other device, it may only report a change of state AFTER it completes ramping up to 'on', or ramping down to 'off'. If this is the case, then the issue may be alleviated by changing the ramp duration for that dimmable device to 0 seconds.

This may easily explain what you're seeing in the following logs your posted. We can see Button 7 was seen by Hubitat at 10:55:06.874. Hubitat then toggled the "Office Torchiere" state within 123ms. That's pretty fast. The "Office Torchiere" device then responded back that it had changed its state to OFF about 2 seconds later. If the "Office Torchiere" device is a dimmer, it may have taken 2 seconds to ramp down to "Off" before it reported the change to Hubitat.

dev:402020-05-02 10:55:29.123 pm infoOffice Torchiere Lamp was turned off [digital]
app:2272020-05-02 10:55:06.997 pm infoToggle Office Torchiere Lamp when Kitchen Lights button 7 pushed Toggle
dev:1292020-05-02 10:55:06.874 pm infoKitchen Lights: Button 7 was pushed

Just a few ideas... :thinking:

1 Like

not sure on the power monitoring... ill check...

yes, the rule seemed to run fast... the lamp reported or was turned off 22 seconds later, its just a leviton zwave on/off module (plugs into outlet) no dimmer...
in the room, it did take forever...

Ooops! My bad... Not sure how I read that as only 2 seconds. Sorry about that.

22 seconds is forever. I would suspect some device is spamming your Z-Wave mesh.

Some of the older Leviton Switch/Dimmer devices require a firmware upgrade to behave properly with Hubitat. I wonder if your plug-in outlet is the same? Not sure if @bcopeland has helped users upgrade the firmware on any Leviton devices, yet...? He has a tool to perform Z-wave device firmware upgrades directly from the Hubitat hub.

1 Like

I doubt the Leviton outlet the issue... also I think the fw update is for Leviton Decora dimmers

Many times I push the wall button and it is responsive within a second or so... but enough times it’s lagged... that we sec was one of the worst... I do feel it’s the hubitat
I had a 2gig gc2 doing this stuff before Hubitat and no issues
It was all responsive...
Calling it a night... more messing with it tomorrow
Thanks for your help

1 Like

How fast is the switch when you press ON on the device details page?

If it is fast, then the issue has nothing to do with the mesh, and everything to do with the automation.

If it is slow when doing on/off from the device details page, then you have a mesh or device issue, and it has nothing to do with the automation rule.

Sorry if you already shared this info, and I missed it.

@JasonJoel, its like instant when i do it from the devices pages!
its on or off by the time i lift my finger off the mouse!

Then ignore any of the comments around zwave mesh or device issues. If it works quickly from the device page, then the mesh and switch are fine.

(with the caveat that is assuming there isn't "transient" mesh issues - which there usually is not)

Then it is either the hub is bogged down overall, or the automation/rule is delayed for unknown reasons.

For something like this I would:

1. Turn on debug logging on all devices involved
  2. Open LOG screen in its own window

Then time:

1. How long it takes to turn on/off switch from device details page
  2. How long it takes for the switch status to update in the logs
  3. How long it takes for the initiator (button press, other) from the device to show up in the log

If those are all fast, then it is the rule. If any of them are slower than expected, then it is the hub/mesh/device.

If you reboot the hub is the automation/rule fast/normal speed after a reboot, then slow down over time? Or is it always random on how long it takes?

1 Like

i feel at times the hubitat is busy dealing with say a refresh from themostat or something
and its too busy to send out the zwave command...

its random i feel, i did reboots and nothing changed....
i pulled the brand new GE Embrighten switch out... i was using it without load, and maybe it didnt like that... so waiting for innovelli to show up... but as i stated a made the little button on my existing innovelli switch do this light... and thats where the 1 time it took 22 seconds! (ouch)

i was getting frustrated, i needed to just walk away and take a day off...
im coming from a 2gig system run by alarm.com, and it was WAY faster
i had 345mhz sensor connected to a dumb switch in wall, it would trigger on/off and turn this lamp on, always within 1 second... and im guessing it was coming from cloud

You could always try a SOFT RESET to see if your hub is spending cpu cycles dealing with some sort of database corruption issue. It is an easy, non-destructive process which has helped many hubs restore peak performance.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

Be sure to follow all of the steps very carefully.

2 Likes

update...
installed innovelli red switch (really like these)
made no real difference (kinda would say ofcourse)
for the most part its responsive, but every now and then a DELAYED response...

its just horrible...
i just walked into room, pressed switch, the light turned on...
did something in room, pressed off on the switch... and long time later it went off
Hubitat, NOT GOOD
if you look at 10:10:12 the rule ran, but the action didnt happen till 10:10:29
17 seconds!!
now also look concidently app:41 (the Thermostat Scheduler App) got in there at 10:10:00
i have that app set to refresh ever 5 mins...
i would think it wouldnt take long to get the data, and be done so that another zwave action can happen
but maybe this is it... its an OLD Radio TStat CT100, im open to replacing it... it just came with the 2gig setup when i purchased home

thanks all!

dev:40  2020-05-05 10:10:29.434 pm infoOffice Torchiere Lamp was turned off [digital]
app:227 2020-05-05 10:10:12.442 pm infoTurn On Office Torchiere Lamp when Office Torchiere Lamp Switch turns on anti-Turn On
dev:41  2020-05-05 10:10:00.124 pm inforefresh...
dev:40  2020-05-05 10:09:45.513 pm infoOffice Torchiere Lamp was turned on [digital]
app:227 2020-05-05 10:09:45.121 pm infoTurn On Office Torchiere Lamp when Office Torchiere Lamp Switch turns on Turn On

I will say @mitchjs that this thread has been an interesting read as you have been tracking down and eliminating the cause of your Hub's slow performance.
It sounds like that thermostat might be the issue particularly if it is NOT a ZwavePLUS device as it seems to fit in with your observation that the delays are somewhat random in occurring.
Can you disable / halt the thermostat functions and retest ??

Yea I’m gonna do that, I’m getting from the wife, “don’t mess with my ac” but for a few days I can live without the scheduler

1 Like

more info.. .look how long it takes to get the information from the tstat
using the "Generic Z-Wave Thermostat" driver... but 15seconds
to get 10 things... man thats slow...
question is.. if during this time... which ill test... if i touch my wall switch...
what happens... delay?

dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:15.558 pm infoCT-100 thermostatSetpoint is 74°F
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:14.459 pm infoCT-100 thermostatFanMode is auto
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:12.569 pm infoCT-100 thermostatOperatingState is cooling
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:10.470 pm infoCT-100 coolingSetpoint is 74°F
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:08.412 pm infoCT-100 heatingSetpoint is 70°F
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:06.418 pm infoCT-100 thermostatMode is cool
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:04.532 pm infoCT-100 humidity is 53%
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:02.368 pm infoCT-100 temperature is 75°F
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:00.371 pm infoCT-100 battery is 100%
dev:225 2020-05-06 01:10:00.114 pm debugrefresh() was called

You don't have any of your Z-wave devices 'paired securely', do you? (Except for Door Locks and Garage Door Openers which require it.) Securely paired Z-Wave devices use ~3x the bandwidth of a non-securely paired device.

Is there a reason you have to periodically refresh your thermostat? Shouldn't it update Hubitat on its own when data has changed?

2 Likes

nothing that im aware of is secure paired... shame this info not displayed nicely in maybe the zwave section...

i dont know if it updates on its own... its an older CT100, oddly in the thermostat scheduler there is no option to not have it refresh (i could just make it a long time, every 60 mins)
i can make a change on it and see if it shows up in log...

Ahhh, that's the piece I missed. The Tstat Sechduler App is the one doing the refreshes.

I use a pair of Ecobee3 Lite thermostats that I bought at a deep discount via the power company's 'energy saver' website/storefront. They are WiFi, but they work well and all scheduling is done within the tstat itself. While I have them integrated with Hubitat via Hubitat's cloud-2-cloud integration, I really don't control them via Hubitat. I just wanted the data feed for my InfluxDB/Grafana displays. The newer Ecobee's, like the 3Lite, are also HomeKit compatible, if that is of any value to you.

There are quite a few threads regarding thermostats here in the Community. Some prefer Z-wave, some like Zigbee (e.g. Lux KONOz), and others prefer WiFi. They all have their pros and cons. I like the Ecobee (WiFi) since I can still control it remotely via its native app or HomeKit even if Hubitat is down for some reason. For me, it's the best compromise of features.