Zwave smart switch set up as Button?!?

Hey I'm new to this and I hope somebody can guide me in the right direction.

Me House is controlled by a Raspberry and FHEM. I don't have access to the system.
I would like to move (re do) everything to a C8.

Every light switch in my house is a Zwave smart dimmer and every switch has multiple functions.
like: turn on/off dim the light it's wired to and has additional functions with double tap the top or bottom button.
when I set up the dimmer I don't have the double tap function.
when I set it up as a Button it doesn't work at all.

I have a physical Zwave button and it does exactly what I want. (button controller app)

what am I missing?

is it the way to set up the dimmer or do I just try to program the wrong app?

How are you "setting it up as a button"? And what device (brand and model) is this, and what driver ("Type" on the device detail page) is it using?

Nearly all such devices you describe will generate button events for taps/multi-taps if the device supports them, though with built-in drivers, generally no more than double-taps are natively supported (community offerings can usually help with the rest).

2 Likes

when I include the device (pair) the driver is automatically set to "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer"
but I cant find the double tap function here.
I tried to change the Driver to a button. but it doesn't work at all.
Hardware is GE and Leviton Z-wave plus dimmer. (different models and years but all work the same way)

Changing a switch/dimmer driver to a button driver is unlikely to work, and certainly not if the driver was written for a device of a different protocol (but even if not...).

This is likely the best-match built-in driver for your device, though you can check the compatible device list if your particular model is listed to be sure. However, this driver won't support button events. You'd need to try a driver like "Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer," which is probably the only built-in option that would also be a good match for your device that might (it does in some sense -- that's what the "CentralScene" part means -- but not all manufacturers use this feature in exactly the same way).

I'm not familiar with any of the GE devices; all of mine that support this feature are from HomeSeer, Inovelli, or Zooz, and use a dedicated driver. There may be community drivers geared specifically towards your devices that you can find with a search for the particular model if nothing built-in works (or you need more features), but I'd start with the above.

1 Like

I Will try this thanks.

Is the "Button controller" the only way to program a double tap?

No, you can use any app that is capable of responding to that event: Basic Rule, Basic Button Controller, or any app that can "subscribe" to this event (wake and do something in response) -- just to name a few built-in options, ignoring anything custom -- would also work. However, Button Controller is probably the most versatile and would be my recommendation if you aren't sure where to start.

2 Likes

thank you again

I have several of the GE Enbrighten Plus dimmer toggle switches.
I use @JasonJoel 's fine driver.

It allows the equivalent of 6 buttons:
One toggle up = 1
One toggle down=2
Two toggles up = 3
Two toggles down = 4
Three toggles up = 5
Three toggles down = 6

I created this simple automation rule.
It toggles on and off the kitchen island light when I do a double tap up on the switch, which is the equivalent of a push of Button 3
In simple automation, if I wanted to toggle it off with a double tap down, aka, Button 4, I'd have to write another rule.

ok that sounds good but,
I have a 12344
and all the drivers I can find say they don't work for 12###

how do I find a driver foe the 12###?

Perhaps @JasonJoel could chime in?

I don't know of any custom drivers for the older 12xxx devices. They are (most all of them) non-plus devices, so really aren't worth the time to support.

Thank you. I looks like I need new hardware.....
Thanks god next week is Amazon Prime day.

1 Like

If the GE/Jasco really are Z-wave plus, I think they should report button presses. Which GE/Jasco models exactly do you have? Which driver (Type) is each using? Are all the 12344? Under the plate do they have the ZWXXX number, that often helps to identify which device you have exactly, Jasco used some odd numbering with some devices.

Many Leviton seem to be somewhat problematic in reporting status until they are updated. There is also a community driver that seems to fix issues with some devices.

OK I took all the covers of my wall and I found these numbers on them.
GE ZW2004
GE ZW3005
GE ZW4005
Inovell 57426

I tried the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer" driver for the GE ZW3005
I can control the dimmer with this driver but I don't have a double tap function.