Zwave plus or zigbee relay / contact switch

I did a search "contact or switch" but since this is a home automation forum so it came up with thousands of switches as result that not nowhere close to what I am looking for.

I am looking for a zwave plus or zigbee relay / contact switch when triggered, it will close contact.

We have a wireless doorbell when pressed it flashes a wireless light receiver which been replaced with a Doorbell camera with a Sage sensor hooked up to it.

My goal is to take the wireless doorbell apart and find either zwave plus or zigbee relay contact to "simulate" the button pressed by closing the button contact points so it send a signal to our flashing light receivers (My wife and I are both Deaf)

I am hoping to find something really small and battery powered that already supported by Hubitat and have the driver for it so I could put both inside a project box and place it next to the hub.

I want to add that the wireless doorbell button uses 3.3v coin battery and a 30 dollar relay switch would be an overkill for this project.

I am looking for one of them DIY already assembled board but I am not sure which is already supported natively by Hubitat

You want a dry contact sensor, not a relay. A relay controls the output side. A dry-contact senses the coil side changing. Take a look at the mimo-lite.

1 Like

I want something that will close contacts on my wireless doorbell “pressed”

Not something that the detect the button being pressed

Isn’t dry contact use for detecting when a circuit is closed not for closing a circuit?

When you say that it has been replaced, do mean that just wireless light receiver has been replaced, or the whole setup, including the wireless doorbell?

If you're pretty handy with some DIY electronics (which I think you might be), you could consider the MonaLisa board (previously known as the Thingshield) at this thread:

I think the Thingshield was originally designed as a shield for Arduinos etc, but I know that the MonaLisa board doesn't actually need to be connected to any other board to work. I think it can work as a Zigbee relay switch out of the box. A quote from the user manual: "For instance, sending the command "on." from the hub to the board will tell it to turn on all its digital outputs."

2 Likes

Take the push button switch out of the wireless doorbell button replace it with a contact relay? switch to simulate a button pressed.

We still will need the wireless doorbell button to send a signal to all of the light receivers in the house (we have 4 receivers) but we want the hub to trigger it.

This is the system we had before replacing it with a Doorbell camera

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Doorbell-Flasher-Videophone-White/dp/B01K8801GQ/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=doorbell+deaf+flasher&qid=1583758758&sr=8-10

One with the red button is the wireless doorbell button, I plan to desolder the push button off the circuit board and I want something that can make closed contact in place of the push button.

We already have a Sage sensor installed and running. We need to be able to somehow get the hub to close contact on our wireless push button so it send a signal to all of our flashing light receivers telling it to flash.

1 Like

Thanks @jason-lane. I will check this board out. DIY electronics is my thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

It's easy to find wifi relay switches like this

I haven't found one that have zwave or zigbee unless I want to pay 30+ dollars which i think is still an overkill for this project because I don't need it to handle 15+ amps Just a .03 amp 3.3v setup.

Zigbee is not easy to find relays in general. These are not dry contacts, so I add a regular relay to the Zigbee relay to isolate the voltage from its contacts. It’s one extra step, but not hard or expensive. These Zigbee relays, as just relays themselves, being closed by Hubitat Elevation, have been 100% reliable for me. Not at all the experience of battery powered Xiaomi devices.

Yeah, I noticed there are almost no zwave or zigbee relay unless I want to folk over 50+ dollar for the MIMOlite Module.

I might have to do a DIY relay similar to which you mentioned in the other post. Thank for sharing...

1 Like

A "dry" contact is the commonly used description for a simple un-energized contact (relay or otherwise) that has both contacts exposed with no internal connections to either.

1 Like