Zwave network not working well after zwave update

I have multiple devices that do not correctly report their on/off state. This is starting to drive me nuts because lights don't turn on or off now when commanded to. I have already run a zwave repair to try to fix the issue.

1 Like

Are these z-wave or z-wave+ devices? If they are z-wave, how are you polling them?

This is generally not recommended on a C-7. If you have a C-7, can you post a screenshot of your entire z-wave settings page?

4 Likes

Sorry for the super late reply! I have a C7 Hub. I do not pole them. Sometimes I will try to refresh them before sending a command in webcore, but that doesn't seem to work. Here are all the devices. Hope that is what you are looking for. Watching the zwave logs, some of this might be a google home issue. Also, I have 2 dead/unresponsive switches i need to deal with.

I see some devices in there with massive route change numbers. How long was the hub up at this point? Every route change the device will spam out tons of discovery messages, so if this is happening over and over it can inundate all the devices on the mesh.

Your mesh looks to be very spread out, there are a lot of devices but most do not have a lot of neighbors.

You also have two sensors with S0 security. What type of sensors are those? Do they report info frequently?

Get this app: [BETA] A Z-Wave Mesh Tool [C7 and 2.2.4+ Only]

You can see a few more details. I would be interested in seeing it sorted by route change with highest at the top, just screenshot the first page.

1 Like

You also have at least one ghost that needs removed. (0x16) This can cause several problems on your mesh. 0x15 is struggling. That number should be 40k or 100k. You definitely need some repeaters in that mesh.

1 Like

That is insane! It is seriously 10 feet from the hub haha. Line of sight too! I need to remove 0x16 for sure.

My house isnt very big. The first floor is an open floor plan. The kitchen and living room are line of sight to the hub. I don't understand how there could be so many changes to reach the hub.

As far as the S0 sensors go, they are just a door sensor and a motion sensor. When prompted during inclusion I never select secure connection. Not sure why they are set up like that. They do not send lots of messages.

You know how many sqft approx for main floor? Mine is about 1300sqft plus second story.

Check the door lock, I see that has a lot of changes, I have heard sometimes when the batteries get low they start going haywire.

1 Like

The house is about 900 square feet per floor. 2 floors. The hub is in the livingroom on the first floor. How do I repair the netword because there are many close devices that should not have any changes? I will charge the door lock batteries just in case.

I should also note, the front porch light switch has failed as well as the kitchen sink light. I should remove them from the network I suppose. I didnt think they would cause any issues since they are dead.

How do I remove 0x16? Not even sure what that is since it is not associated with a device name.

First try hitting refresh to a time or 2 until the remove button appears. When it does clickl remove and wait

They are likely 500 series devices that do not support S2 security. Unfortunately where S2 is not available, the 700 series chip in the C7 hub forces inclusion at the highest supported level - S0 in this case. It’s a pain but the only way to get around that is to use a Z Wave stick paired as a secondary controller. You would then use the free Z Wave Controller software from Silabs to include those devices without security. I’ve had to do that with all of my Fibaro devices. It’s a pain but unfortunately it’s something Hubitat can do nothing about as Silabs enforce it.

1 Like

It will not remove. I suppose i need to buy a stick and do it that way. :unamused:

1 Like

If you know the device that created, you should be able to remove power to that device. Power cycle the hub for 2 mins (actually disconnect power after shutting down at the wall not the hub) and bring it back up and repeat trying to remove it. Sometimes pulling the tab does not shut down the radio. See if that works.

I'll have to try and hunt it down. For sure it's still a real device? Or can it be one that is completely dead and offline.

If it's still powered up it may be pingable and the hub won't remove the ghost... For that a stick will be needed if the above doesn't work

1 Like

How old is the house and what are the walls made out of?

Good thinking. It was built in 2017. Standard sheetrock, wood studs, and fiberglass insulation. Shouldn't have signal issues I imagine. On top of that most of my wall switches are zwave, so I should have lots of repeaters between floors.