Zwave inclusion isn't working

I am reaching out to seek assistance with an issue I am facing while trying to include Z-Wave devices to my Hubitat hubs.

Initially, I was using a C7 hub and encountered a problem where the hub was not detecting any of my Z-Wave devices during the inclusion process. To troubleshoot, I migrated my setup to a C8 hub using cloud backups, hoping it would resolve the issue. However, the problem persists on the C8 hub as well.

I would like to mention that these Z-Wave devices previously worked seamlessly with my SmartThings hub, and I made sure to factory reset them before attempting to include them with Hubitat.

Fwiw, devices are leviton switches and dimmers.

Moreover, the problem seems to be consistent both with my old devices and with brand new ones that I recently acquired. Given the circumstances, I believe there might be a deeper issue at play, and I would appreciate any guidance or troubleshooting steps you can offer to help resolve this problem.

FWIW I found the Leviton modules I have are finnicky with regards to factory resetting and joining. I found a sequence that worked well for me. Below are my notes, however its been so long ago I don't remember any more.

Hope this helps.

VRPD03-Z include, exclude reset

Inclusion & Exclusion:

Enter Programming Mode by holding the control button for 7 seconds, the Locator LED will blink amber.
    The device is ready to add to the Z-Wave® network.

Follow directions in the Z-Wave® controller to enter learn mode.

Tap the control button one time. The Locator LED will quickly flash green.

The Z-Wave® controller will begin to pair with the Decora SmartTM device.

Upon successful addition to the network the LED will turn off and then blink green 3 times.

If the adding process is not successful the LED will flash red 3 times.

Factory Reset:

Unplug the module and wait 5 seconds.
	Plug the module back in and within 20 seconds press and hold the programming button until the LED turns Amber and then turns Red.
	The module is now reset.

OR
	Holding the control button for a total of 14 seconds.
	After the first 7 seconds the LED turns amber.
	The Locator LED will quickly flash red/amber after 14 seconds.
	Release the control button and the device will reset

Welcome to the Hubitat community forums, sorry you are having issues.

Have you tried doing a Z-wave exclusion on your devices using Hubitat? Sometimes a factory reset or using the old hub to exclude isn't good enough. If they won't exclude, they won't include either. That exclusion step also would ensure that any old hub pairing info is deleted from the switch.

Did you turn off the Smartthings hub, and/or the C7 while attempting to pair with the C8? They could possibly be interfering, it would not hurt to try this if you haven't done so. I would also place this C8 away from anything that might be causing radio interference like your Wifi router or other strong radio signals.

The last thought is some switches are picky about pairing in place, especially if you are building out a new mesh and the switches are distant from the hub. Have you tried moving the Hubitat closer to a switch and trying the exclusion/inclusion process again? It is suggested to build the mesh from the hub outwards, it might help to have paired repeating devices closer to the hub before attempting to pair these switches which are likely further away.

There are some tips in the documentation that may help as well.

2 Likes

Thank you for your responses.
I tried different types of devices (zooz plug, August lock via zwave, leviton switches).
In thinking maybe it's something with my hub. Specifically with a backup from c7?

I'm thinking of resetting and start over. But it looks like soft reset stores radio config for zwave. How do I do a full reset?
I've seen messages on this forum that people don't recommend doing it but I'm running our of options.

Cheers
Vik

I believe there is an option in the diagnostic page.

http://:8081

yeah, there is a soft reboot.

I'm totally lost now - nothing is working. things tried - zooz zen14 smart plug, invovelli smart plug, all leviton plugs and switches in home. I did a factory reset of those devices according to official manuals. is there a way to enable debug logging from zwave? When I go http://ip/hub/zwaveLogs I don't see anything
zigbee works fine,

There isn't such a thing as a full reset, you do a Z-wave reset from that page, and similarly the Zigbee reset. Then if you do a soft reset, that wipes the remaining information from the hub like rules and so on.

I am going to tag @bobbyD in support to see if he might have a suggestion, or at least get you on his radar in case there is something going on with your hub.

I wouldn't do anything yet until we know whether support wants to look at your hub or to try anything.

How is your hub powered? Regular supply or other (give details). Unofficial power sources have been known to cause zwave problems.

2 Likes

Yes, that is highly likely. When you do a migration of a mesh with problems, the same issues will follow you on the new hub. For a successful migration you would need to ensure that the mesh is healthy before taking a cloud backup.

That is somewhat correct. The Soft Reset only resets the hub's database (it doesn't reset the radios). When resetting a hub for the purpose of starting over, in addition to performing a Soft Reset (without restoring a backup) you will also need to reset the radios by going to Z-Wave Details and Zigbee Details pages, respectively.

1 Like

Can you please post your z-wave details page in its entirety? Use windows snip

1 Like