ZWave Garage Door Opener (GoControl) Polling/Refresh

I've just switched over from ST, for the most part, things are going well. I'm working through the dark magic of Zwave meshes to get things more reliable.

I just encountered one specific issue I wanted to ask about. I have a GoControl garage door opener which I control with a Leviton ZWave switch and some rules. (e.g. when switch on, open garage door / when garage door opens, turn switch on) Basically, the rules just keep the garage door in sync with the switch.

When I came home today, the garage door opened fine but HE didn't know about it. This made my switch out of sync with the door. Garage door open but HE reporting it as closed. I went into the device, hit "refresh" and it instantly switched to "open" which kicked off my rules and changed the status of my switch as expected.

I found quite a few posts about zwave polling and refresh issues and similar problems with garage door controllers but not really any solutions.

I checked out the Polling app but it won't poll garage door openers.

I tried to create a rule machine rule for polling and refresh but it won't allow me to select garage door openers either.

So I modified all my other rules to turn the switch on and off whenever I open or close the garage door. I think this will probably work fine but it introduces more zwave traffic.

is there a better way?

thanks,
Dan

Oh yeah, and forgot to mention, I did find the garage door opener was the only device with a low kbps. It's showing 9.6 while all other devices are 40 or 100 kbps. So maybe it's just weak signal? But I can't move my hub any closer without making things worse for other devices. And there are other switches in the garage with no problems that I would have expected to repeat to the garage door opener

It looks to be routing through 0A which is the control switch and that switch is only 10 feet from the garage door opener although it is on the other side of a wall. The control switch is showing 100kbps

any ideas?

Your garage door opener is a z-wave+ device. So it cannot and should not be polled. What does the rest of your z-wave mesh look like?

I have had both GoControl and MImolite Zwave plus garage door controllers.
Do yourself a favor and forget them.
Get a Shelly 1 or a Tasmota with a magnetic reed switch and never look back.
They are crazy cheap, fire much faster, and more reliable.

1 Like

@aaiyar i guess that scrolling screenshot didn't come out too clean. Is that what you wanted to see?

let me know if there's something else I can provide. thanks.

Thanks, NoWon - those are cool but a little more technology than I want to maintain for multiple devices. Shelly 1 apps stops working or they go out of business, what then?

Does not matter they are both local.
I tested them to make sure.
You do not need their app to setup or control them.
Very easy to setup.
For how much time you will waste fighting with the Zwave controllers just not worth it.
Sometimes you just have to walk away and they work better.

1 Like

You might consider adding a couple repeaters into the mix. One near the hub and one halfway to the GDO.

When I first saw them I wrongly assumed they were cloud based as well.
They use your home's local WIFI network (no internet required).
The software interface is built into the device.

I had problems with the same opener. I removed it this weekend and replaced with a Zooz zen16 relay along with an Ecolink tilt sensor. Works great using the Zooz driver/app.

The Zooz looks kinda cool and not too expensive, thanks.

I seem to be getting OK reliability with both my GoControl garage door openers now. At this moment, at least.

now I'm dealing with some door lock issues possibly related to simultaneous delayed actions. I'm not giving up on HE just yet but it is like whack-a-mole.