Zwave device missing in zwave info was there previously on build 2.3.8.140

i have a missing zwave device that was there previously not sure what is going on..

only way i noticed is that the hub suddenly gave zwave busy messages and i tracked it down to that device.. presumeably when it was trying to report battery status repeatedly and getting no reply because the node is no longer in my table.. it was there previously as i know because the rules related to it were firing as recently as 2 weeks ago..

i am not sure if other devices are also missing as i have over 100 zwave devices and cannot possibly go through and check each one.

not sure what is going on or how to fix it as i am not back to that location till end of may..

@bobbyD

trying a full shutdown and restart @support_team

No reply from support how do i get this looked at... it is a serious issue. Shutdown did not resolve it. And going back versions and restore will also not as that doesnt touch the radios.

@bobbyD

What is the DNI shown on the device page?
Then sort the Z-wave details page by DNI (Node) and show where it should have been.

Not there i sorted by name above

But in case u dont believe me

Never said I did not believe you, but it was not clear from the screenshots up above so I thought it would be helpful to have those exact two images. Clearly showing the node is missing.

And normally, if you had excluded that node it should have taken with the device down with it. So clearly something strange is going on. Unless the node was force removed somehow.

Have you used a USB stick and PC Controller on that hub any time since the device stopped reporting?

1 Like

No usb stick use. In fact havent been home since the 10th.

I sssume i should assign a virtual device.. swap it and force remove it . And just re-add it when we get home? But dont think that will stop the hub heart burn next time it tries to report battery?

Before that i was hoping support would chime in and take a look.

You probably would not even need to swap to a virtual. You could rename the DNI to something like 22_OLD just to be sure it is detached from this node that seems gone (so exclude does not kill it on accident). Once you have access to the device you can then exclude it, and re-include it. Then once that is done you could swap from the old to the new and then remove the old device.

Not sure how a single battery report would jam up the radio. Maybe the hub is not sending an ack back so it keeps trying to re-route until the mesh gets all jammed up? Device might be a little too aggressive if that's the case.

1 Like

Thats what it appeared to happen to me . I.know im anal but every few days i look for any errors or abnormal warnings in the logs. Thats how i found a slew of zwave busy messages when the device was sending repeated battery reports.(shown above)

Oh, I did not realize it was that deck door device and it is still updating the device entry in HE. That is odd since the node is missing from the list. You would think the hub would just ignore it if the radio did not have it in the mesh. Possibly just a visual bug in the details list then.

I know this has happened with a few Zooz devices before where it would just start spamming battery reports for no reason. Maybe that is the case here (I know its not a Zooz).

1 Like

@kahn-hubitat I know you aren't at that location but I am very curious if you pair a zstick and see if that missing device shows up in PC Controller. I migrated my C7 zwave hub to a new C8 Pro last month and am having some strange problems with my new C8 Pro. An old non-plus WaterCop water valve didn't migrate well to the C8 Pro and I excluded it and the device disappeared from the zwave details list. However the problems I am having with this hub persisted so I tried a migration from that C8 Pro to another C8 Pro I have to rule out a hardware problem. The WaterCop node reappeared in the zwave details list on the other hub as a ghost. So again it is not in the old hub but magically appeared in the other.

I bring this up because there is some funky stuff happening with zwave at least on my hubs.

1 Like

I have a zwave stick paired to that hub (currently disabled) (havent needed to use it probably for 1.5-2 yrs - forced removes of ghosts or failed devices have gotten better in updates if u reboot and are patient). In fact, I have never used it on the c8 and c8 pro.

I will check with the stick s/w to see if node is actually there before taking the nuclear approach described above. But wont be home till may 23 so u will be waiting awhile for the outcome.

1 Like

Your device is there, it seems like the hub is struggling, not necessary related to Z-Wave. I see your UPS driver(s) are killing your hub's telnet. See if you disable those then power cycle your hub if that fixes the oddities.

1 Like

those have been there since the beginning and the telnet warning is normal it comes out every time a telnet connection closes..(even when closed with the normal close command) why do you think it is killing the hub.. i have reported the issue before and it had no response..

cpu usage is low..

in fact before the db update code it was always below 10%.

i will try to disable those but again dont think that is the issue those have been there since back to the c7 days.

there are 3 different ups being monitored and the check runs only every 15 minutes.. i am pretty sure that is not the issue

disabled them and rebooting now.

Can you power cycle?