ZWave device generating copius log entries

I have an Aeotec Dual Nano Switch on a C7 which is creating entries in the Log faster than what I have seen for any device (refer below). There are other Dual Nano switches on the hub which are not behaving in this fashion.

dev:31692022-07-14 04:06:58.681 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.call() is applicable for argument types: (hubitat.zwave.commands.meterv5.MeterReport, java.lang.Short) values: [MeterReport(scale: 2, rateType: 1, scale2: 0, deltaTime: 0, previousMeterValue: [], meterType: 1, precision: 3, size: 4, meterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0]), ...] Possible solutions: wait(), any(), trim(), find(), size(), next() on line 57 (method parse)

dev:31692022-07-14 04:06:58.580 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.call() is applicable for argument types: (hubitat.zwave.commands.meterv5.MeterReport, java.lang.Short) values: [MeterReport(scale: 2, rateType: 1, scale2: 0, deltaTime: 0, previousMeterValue: [], meterType: 1, precision: 3, size: 4, meterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0]), ...] Possible solutions: wait(), any(), trim(), find(), size(), next() on line 57 (method parse)

dev:31692022-07-14 04:06:55.680 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.call() is applicable for argument types: (hubitat.zwave.commands.meterv5.MeterReport, java.lang.Short) values: [MeterReport(scale: 2, rateType: 1, scale2: 0, deltaTime: 0, previousMeterValue: [], meterType: 1, precision: 3, size: 4, meterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0]), ...] Possible solutions: wait(), any(), trim(), find(), size(), next() on line 57 (method parse)

dev:31692022-07-14 04:06:55.581 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.call() is applicable for argument types: (hubitat.zwave.commands.meterv5.MeterReport, java.lang.Short) values: [MeterReport(scale: 2, rateType: 1, scale2: 0, deltaTime: 0, previousMeterValue: [], meterType: 1, precision: 3, size: 4, meterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0]), ...] Possible solutions: wait(), any(), trim(), find(), size(), next() on line 57 (method parse)

What is device 3169?

3169 is the Aeotec Dual Nano Switch

• deviceType: 515
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x25,0x27,0x32,0x81,0x71,0x60,0x8E,0x2C,0x2B,0x70,0x86,0x72,0x73,0x85,0x59,0x7A,0x5A
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 00 04 10 01 5E 25 27 32 81 71 60 8E 2C 2B 70 86 72 73 85 5C 59 7A 5A EF 82 68 23
  • outClusters: 0x82
  • deviceId: 132
  • manufacturer: 134

Hmm.... Try the DEVICE driver to see if that goes away? Looks like it's choking. Click configure, delete all children and what not, switch back to your driver, click configure and see if it goes away.

Switching the driver to DEVICE sees it continue to generate log entries at a rapid rate:

It doesn't respond to 'Delete All Child Devices', 'Get Info' is captured in the screenshot).

Switching it back to its default Aeotec driver sees it return to generating the original error messages.

Is this a new device? Have you tried removing and re-pairing the device? Maybe something funky happened during pairing.

2 Likes

Is this with a built in driver or community/custom driver?
The device is sending MeterReport, probably power monitoring? Seems to driver is not properly setup to handle the reports coming in.

Is there a parameter you can set to turn off the power monitoring if you don't need it? Might have to use the "Basic Zwave Tool" driver that Hubitat has posted before to set the parameter if its not in the options for the driver you are using.

3 Likes

Given that the driver is working without issue with other units I’m inclined to think that’s my best option.

1 Like

Well... it would certainly be a quick fix!

1 Like

Not ideal given that its wired in behind a wall switch but looking like the only option. Thanks for your help.

I looks very much like the issue is hardware related - the driver, which IS the built-in driver for the device, is in use successfully with other Dual Nanos which are in the same hub. Switching the driver typically resulted in errors still being sent to the Log at a high rate albeit with different error messages.
Thanks for the suggestions,

Found this online: Dual Nano Switch user guide : Aeotec Help Desk

Unfortunately no mention of a parameter to shut it off....
So are your others model ZW140 and the new one is ZW132??
If that's the case, pairing it again wont fix anything.

Should reach out to the manufacturer and ask if there is a parameter to shut it off.

Also worth noting the ZW132 is on the compatibility list but not the ZW140, so that would be why the driver is not expecting the energy reports.

1 Like

After a couple of factory resets the device finally paired again and is (currently :crossed_fingers:) functioning as expected.

@jtp10181 the units ARE the ZW132-Bs and your comments concerning the energy monitoring capability highlight that this feature isn't utilised by the driver - @rlithgow1 is this something that can be explored/enhanced?

1 Like

Instructions I found for the -B http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=ZW132-B&cert=ZC10-17035484

It does have energy monitoring, and it does have a setting for it.

It is possible upon pairing the built in driver sends the appropriate command to disable the energy reporting, and the first pairing did not do it correctly. Although it seems the default is supposed to 0, so maybe somehow yours came with incorrect settings so the factory reset is what fixed it.

It seems to be sending an excessive number of reports when enabled, so unless you really need it, I would probably just leave it off and not try and use it. That many zwave reports constantly will crush the mesh.

1 Like

Agreed (that's exactly what was taking place). Begs the question - what 'system' would/could accommodate this? Is it possible the reporting frequency was simply screwed up somehow (ie. it would normally report at a more manageable frequency)?

I did not really look earlier but I see now there is also an interval that can be set, it must have been very low before.
Parameter 111: Set the interval of automatic report for Report group 1.

Default is 10, (seconds??) That is very low. But it can be set higher.

Would need a driver to catch the meter reports and save it as an attribute for it to be useful.

1 Like