Zwave and zwave plus

P.s it also has support for thread already is just not activated, same for most recent Google home products...

Interesting. It's also a (potential) feature of the SmartThings V3 hub.

This is a great article....
https://www.the-ambient.com/guides/thread-group-explained-908

2 Likes

A lot of companies seem to be making devices for every protocol out there (bluetooth?) or dumbing down products to only need a smartphone. I recently left Iris which was zigabee, and I can't see a reason why a hybrid zwave plus / 2.4ghz WiFi network cant meet all my needs for the next ten years. Zwave is perfect for low power sensors, WiFi for high bitrate video. If anything, I'm trying to minimize zigabee and avoid bluetooth. Minimal bandwidth congestion this way too. Not really worried about 232 device zwave limit at moment. If the hubitat lifx bulbs stuff gets better, I may not need zigabee at all.

1 Like

Anyone hear any news about Gen7 - Z-Wave Series 700?

I'm hoping in the next month or so there will be some Gen7 Dimmer Switches available, especially if they will be ELV.

Thanks!

There are a few 700 series devices on the market now.. Not many yet.. But the tech is pretty exciting

4 Likes

I'm excited about the new processor core.. Should get some more intelligent devices with more features..

4 Likes

Or less intelligence. Doing nothing, at really high speed. :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

Yup. Aeon Labs has definitely put a couple things out ....

3 Likes

OMG .. You guys are nutz :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I'm excited about the possibility of having 7-11W LED bulbs and having an Electronic Low Voltage (ELV) Dimmer Switch and not hearing the humming or having to also buy nano dimmers in addition to basic switches!

Yeah unfortunately only a range extender and a recessed door sensor

1 Like

Interesting link; reading the 700 series feature comparison I notice that 'Network Wide Inclusion' finally becomes a standard Z-Wave 'feature'.
I had assumed that this was true of the 500 series (bundled with Z-Wave Plus) as well. But the table shows otherwise-- it's optional, even for 500 series Z-Wave Plus devices.

Another reason why the 'always pair in the final location' advice cannot be taken for granted, and may be why pair in place may fail with some devices, even if they are Z-Wave Plus. This may explain the failure of Iris V2 Smart Plugs' Z-Wave Plus repeater to 'pair in place' as has often been reported.

2 Likes

Z-Wave Plus (500 series) and Z-Wave Plus V2 (700 series) offer tremendous speed and range improvements over older pre-plus devices. For the purpose of this comparison we will omit older Z-wave devices that operate at 9.6Kbps.

300 Series 500 Series 700 Series
AKA: Z-Wave Z-Wave Plus Z-Wave Plus V2
Bandwidth: 40Kbps 100Kbps 100Kbps
Range Indoor (Direct): more than 30 meters up to 75 meters up to 100 meters
Network Wide Inclusion: No Optional Yes
Explorer Frames: No Yes Yes
Security S0: Yes Yes Yes
Security S2: No Optional Yes
OTA Firmware: No Optional Yes
FLiRS: Optional Optional Yes

More information: Silicon Labs 700 Series

3 Likes

The really interesting stuff is going to come when they start taking advantage of the better processor and flash memory..

300 and 500 Series both use an 8-bit 8051 CPU Core.. The 700 series uses an Arm Cortex M4 32-Bit CPU Core..

And the flash storage is going from 128kb to 512kb

And memory from 16kb to 64kb ..

So pretty massive jumps in what the manufacturers will be able to squeeze into these firmwares..

3 Likes

Not to mention.. Wider availability of devices .. There is a built-in saw filter that will allow manufacturers to make 1 product SKU for the whole world as they can switch between regions..

4 Likes

Looking at the pair of Aeon 700 devices, they ported their 8051 code to ARM and that's it as far as I can tell from the feature list.

Same old code, running faster.. more time and mem space to do nothing, faster. :smiley: :smiley:

For Aeon, it's great.. they can be one of the first with a 700 series product, it reduces their SKU and opens markets that have otherwise been too small.

2 Likes

Which should really benefit z-wave controller manufacturers like Hubitat.

3 Likes

Truly it benefits device manufacturers more, if only economy of scale considerations. :slight_smile:

Aeon sells more recessed door sensors than Hubitat sells hubs, I think. :smiley:

Hubitat gains of course, by reducing SKU. However, the hurdle of distribution, which is currently a major part of the price delta around the world, isn't altered by having a single hub.. still need a region specific plug on the power wart. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But with the improvements in the RF side of things.. It should help your mesh by adding mains powered 700 series devices like the aeotec range extender 7.. I bought 2 of them.. Haven't installed them yet..

4 Likes