Zooz ZSE42 firmware updated, but Hubitat C8 still shows prior version

I used Hubitat's Device Firmware Updater to update the firmware on a dozen Zooz ZSE42 leak sensors. The updates went well and they are behaving better than on the old firmware. In the Devices properties tab of Hubitat, each device is still listed as being on the old firmware version. But if I try to re-apply the update, I can see in the target field that they were in fact updated properly the first time. If I do re-apply the update, Hubitat then correctly lists the currently installed firmware version in the Device properties.

How can I force Hubitat to see the current firmware version on these battery powered devices?

I ran into the same problem with several different Zooz devices after a firmware update. The only fix that I found that worked is to do an EXCLUDE then INCLUDE it again. A real pain.

3 Likes

I think it'll update the data on its own next check-in window (which could be 12 hours on a batt device).

IIRC, I've been able to force the update with the "Basic Z-wave Tool" driver using the Get Version Report option, and then when I went back to regular driver, the correct f/w was shown.

4 Likes

If your device offers a "Refresh" or "Configure" command, sometimes one of these will fetch it. Even a "Save Preferences" will sometimes. There isn't any standard for if or how this information is fetched or even if or how it's displayed in the first place, so it can never really be said for sure without knowing how the driver is written. (Keep in mind that you will need to "wake" most battery-powered Z-Wave devices before they'll respond to one of these commands. The manual will have the procedure, usually pressing a button or similar.)

But you did the right think by checking the Device Firmware Updater app, which will fetch the information from the device (unless maybe you re-open it with the same device still selected). In most cases, the data on the device detail page is just a display issue, so it shouldn't cause problems. Rarely, a driver may use it to determine different functionality based on firmware, though I'm not aware of any big changes with this particular device.

5 Likes

If I were to write a driver, what command or method would re-read the firmware version?

Thanks
John

That's up to you. :slight_smile: Often it's Refresh or Configure. Or are you asking for the Z-Wave command? Normally it would come back as a report from a versionGet().

Perhaps I don't know how it works. I was thinking there would be a method or command that would tell the Hub to "refresh" the firmware etc. But now I'm thinking they are provided by the device when first joined. I guess in this case a "refresh" would have to be in the device.

I have a universal zwave scanner tool that can request the version and will update the data. You would need to wake it up right before pressing the button. I’m On my phone right now or I would give you a link to the post.

Also if you look at my ZSE44 driver that has code to refresh the version but my code is slightly complex.

I can give you some other pointers when I’m at my computer. You really just need one command to request it and another function to catch and parse it.

3 Likes

Thank you, I was just curious.

[RELEASE] Z-Wave Universal Device Scanner <-- Here is the scanner, Get Info and Refresh both will get the version info and update the data. It does not support the wakeup from a battery device so you would need to wake it up and then press the command button within a few seconds.

If you look in the code on that, in the refresh() function it calls getRefreshCmds(), which in turn calls versionGetCmd() and sends that command out to the device.

Then the zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.versionv2.VersionReport cmd) function catches the reply and saves it to the data.

5 Likes

As an alternative...
I just updated several zigbee sensors' firmware.
I believe...if I remember correctly...hitting 'update firmware' after it's updated, will yield an firmware is up to date kind of message, but also update Data. That's what I recall, anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like