Zooz ZSE41 open/close sensor 700 series

Support never sent me any firmware to try, so I'm relying on you guys to work out all the kinks. :slight_smile:

Have you been having to unpair/re-pair when you update the firmware or is the firmware update working without a need for re-pair?

I have done all of mine except for 1 without having to re-pair anything. The one that gave me lots of trouble was the one that I had flashed to 1.20. All the ones that were still on 1.10 updated with no problems at all. If you want, I can share a link to 1.21 with you.

1 Like

I got the 1.21 firmware from Zooz. Are you guys using the built-in device firmware app to flash it? I can't seem to get mine going. I have them right next to the C7 and woke the device up, but I can never get the flash to start.

Any ideas?

I skipped the built-in updater given reports from Zooz that some have problems with it in favor of the "community" driver (they are likely substantially similar), but I couldn't get that to work after two tries and gave up on it too. Once it got pretty fair but failed (I don't remember the exact error); another time it stalled out around 50%.

So, I went back to what tends to work best for me: Z-Wave PC Controller. Worked on the first try. ZWaveJS2MQTT would probably work too (and is probably what I'd try if you don't have Windows handy but do have extra hardware or a VM/container you could use for it--or I guess your primary machine if you don't mind); however, I don't have an instance of that set up at the moment.

I've always used the firmware updater app that was posted in this forum somewhere. The built in version always gave me issues. I updated all of my devices yesterday using this app with no problems.

I have never had good luck with updating from the Hub, app or driver, I use a USB stick as well. BUT I do know on the battery devices the timing is everything. I would turn on debug logging, and open a logs window so you can see it. Then wake the device up and wait for the "WAKE UP" debug log, as soon as you see it hit the buttons for the firmware update. If you time it right it should start up and hopefully get to the end.

Besides the log, on this device in particular I have noticed that the correct timing seems to be just as the LED goes out, so you do the 4x tap, it lights up solid and then right when the LED goes out seems to be when it will take a command.

Maybe I could take some time this weekend to fiddle with the updater driver to play nice with battery devices and wait for the wakeup command... the author wants someone to pick up the dev on it anyway since he works for Hubitat now.

It might be worth making an option to extend the wake up in certain scenarios like firmware updates instead of putting the device back to sleep right away when the other wake up tasks are done.

You mean like on the device driver where it sends the notice there is no more info? That could be causing an issue I suppose when trying to use the firmware updater app. But if they switch drivers, especially to the firmware driver the device should not be getting that command so I assume it just has some sort of time out for when it goes back to sleep?

I was thinking of adding functionality to the firmware updater app if its a battery device it would queue up the update and wait for the wake-up then start it right away just how drivers queue up a refresh or a config update. I noticed if directly paired to a USB stick the PC Controller does this also, it is very handy.

1 Like

I keep getting an error on the update driver. You are talking about the one that Bryan Copeland came up with, right?

Make sure you're using the right one. There are 2 versions of the community driver, both with the same version number. But the older one cannot handle the .GBL files that 700 series devices use.

That's probably the deal then. I have searched for it and I have not had any luck. Had it for the longest time until they baked into the platform so I got rid of it.

After clicking link Press the "RAW" button to get the Import URL or you can copy/paste from there as well.

Here is the Binary Updater (for GBL sand HEX files and I think also works for OTZ): https://github.com/djdizzyd/hubitat/blob/master/Drivers/Z-Wave-Firmware-Updater/zwaveBinaryUpdater.groovy

Here is the 'safe' Updater but it only works for OTZ and other non-hex/binary files: https://github.com/djdizzyd/hubitat/blob/master/Drivers/Z-Wave-Firmware-Updater/zwaveFirmwareUpdater.groovy

I believe you normally use firmware Target 0 for the Binary updater unless the vendor tells you otherwise. So far all Zooz devices are target 0.

Thanks for the link. Think that got it. It's sending update packets to the device now.....

Well I was able to update 2 of my sensors using the firmware driver. But my third one would never get past wake up the sleepy device. Took a little extra effort but I paired up my ZWave stick and updated my firmware the old fashioned way :slight_smile:

One thing I did notice on all of them is the battery level went down to around 59% after updating. After a couple of open/closes, it went back up to 89%. Don't know it is now more accurate or if there is some shenanigans going on. They were all at 100% battery before my little venture. Surely updating firmware doesn't eat up the battery that much would it?

Zooz told me one of the issues possibly causing the battery reporting spam was that the reading on this type of battery can fluctuate and is not very stable. Mine did the same thing as yours, dropped a bunch then came back up. But it is not showing 100% again. We will see how long it lasts. Also who knows what quality the batteries they came with are, I suspect they wont last as long as high quality ones will.

UPDATE: Now it is actually back to reporting 100% battery, for two reports 12hrs apart.

Any recommendations? I think it'll make migrating to the C7 easier and I plan on starting that soon.

Check this post and the one below it for links. The UZB3 or the UZB-7 seem to both work good for me. I also have a Zooz ZST10 which I keep paired as a secondary controller but I suspect it is nearly the same hardware just in a fancier package and plastic housing and a flashing LED light.

Out of curiosity... Did anyone get an updated firmware from Zooz support for the ZSE42 leak sensor?

Mine is defective (wont pair to anything and light just flashes forever) so I have not been harassing them about that one, :grin:. I am waiting for more to get in stock so I can actually try it out.

1 Like

OK. I have 16 of them...

I have yet to get any of the open/close sensors to update. Unpaired from hubitat, paired to pc controller with no security. Just sits there on packet 1... I see messages coming back and forth from the device, but no progress when trying to do the OTA. Will mess with it some more another day I guess.

EDIT:

• Tried from Hubitat, looked like it was working but super slow (10+ hours)
  • Tried PC Controller with 3 different UZBs, would never get past packet 1.
  • Factory reset the sensor. Tried from PC Controller again. Same result - never got past packet 1.
  • Paired it to zwavejs, updated 1st try in like 3 minutes. Go figure.