Zooz ZSE41 open/close sensor 700 series

Aeon recently came out with the Door Sensor 7 Pro, which has terminals for external connectors. Not cheap (note that the non-Pro model that is cheaper lacks this feature and the tilt sensor), but it's something new that should work!

2 Likes

I'm having the same issue as @bertabcd1234 mentioned about the battery report. I'm using @JasonJoel's driver. I ordered 6 of these sensors, and I've currently set up 4. Out of these, only 1 of them is constantly reporting the battery state.

Actually it just magically quit... after suddenly reporting the battery had gone from 100% to 65%...

FWIW, mine also eventually stopped doing the unsolicited reports, and the battery also went down a bit and eventually back up (something like down to 65% and then up to 90%--wasn't sure if all of this caused the actual level to deplete, but it seems like not much in the end). I have a second one (on another hub) that never did this, but it did also fail secure pairing the first time.

Not sure what to make of any of this, maybe issues with the (beta?) firmware, but I don't have much to report on to help figure it out besides the above. But happy to try testing anything if needed.

I just setup number 5 and it's doing it too. So far, that's 2 out of 5. It's especially annoying because it's slowing down my zwave network a lot it seems like and is making it impossible to add devices.

It's interesting that the ZEN34 suffered from the same issue when it was originally released.

A subsequent firmware update has corrected this.

Was just about to post that I had seen similar behavior with the zen34. It would on and off get into a state of constant battery reports just like this device.

I stopped paying attention to it and on the occasions I review logs I haven’t seen it in quite a while.

Are you pairing them with or without security? (EDIT: Wrong, I have only paired 2 contact, I've done 16 leak sensors. Sorry for the confusion) I've paired about 15 of them so far, and have seen that once when I did it w/o S2 security. May have just been coincidence, but thought I would mention it. Although I do have a few paired non-secure working just fine too. So I dunno.

Another thing I would recommend is after you pair it make sure you set the preferences (turn on debug logging), save, and wake up it by pressing the button 4 times. Watch the logs to make sure you see the configuration report logs. I've had to save the preferences/wake the device up multiple times on a few devices to get the preferences to actually "stick" in the device.

After that, the device works fine.

I have a C5, so no security. The device page is reporting that there are no queued config items, but I can go manually wake it up and see if anything changes.

Turned on debugging and went and manually woke up the sensor that is still sending battery reports.

It's still sending battery reports.

Don't know then. None of mine are doing that. After the one I saw doing that stopped after saving preferences/forcing awake a few times, I haven't seen it again.

Another thought... Have you tried removing the battery from the device waiting 10 seconds and putting the battery back in?

Maybe it just need to good old-fashioned reboot.

Yes I have. It immediately goes back to reporting the battery state. Guess I should open a ticket with zooz.

LOL. Figures. I moved one of my contact sensors from one hub to another and now that one is doing the battery report every few seconds too.

I created a support ticket w/Zooz too @agnes.zooz . Rebooting the device (taking the battery out) does actually stop it - until the sensor flips from open/close again then the repeated battery messages startup again every ~6.3s.

I'm guessing that it will take a firmware update to fix it. :frowning: I'll hold off on pairing any more of the contact sensors until Zooz gets it sorted (which I'm sure they will!).

The leak sensors don't have this problem, so seem to be OK to use as-is.

OK, last bit on this for today. I've done a bunch of testing, and have had good luck when pairing close to the hub then moving the device to the final location. For whatever reason, it seems like there are issues with it not completing pairing fully (secure or not). When that happens it seems like no matter what you do after that, the device acts weird.

This is the only thing I have not tried. I had bad luck doing that with the Zooz 4-in-1 sensors last year and them never seeming to find a new route after being moved, but these devices are newer so maybe they won't have that issue. This evening I'll try excluding the one having a problem and include it in the same room as the hub.

I did send an email to Zooz support today as well.

I paired 2 more of these today. As long as I paired them close to the hub, and verified it was able to update preferences when manually waking the device, I have not seen the repeated battery report issue.

So it does seem like in some cases the initial pairing isn't fully completing if the signal is too low. Weird, as in general I always try to pair devices in their final place to ensure there will be good signal. These devices seem to require the opposite though.

1 Like

Thanks for doing the exerimentation I didn't (I'm stubborn and like to pair Z-Wave Plus devices in place, I guess :smiley: ... though I was never really too far from the hub) and sharing your results! I do note the manual for this does suggest moving closer to the hub if you have problems, but I'm not sure if that's general advice that Zooz includes with all of their products (really can only help the pairing process, I suppose, even if it's not necessarily good news news for the final location) or something they specifically know about this product.

Not sure. So far it looks like everything is reporting in (battery %) every 12 hours in their final location for me. But it has only been 2 days, will have to watch it and see.

I also had a few leak sensors that I paired in place and had to try 3 or 4 times before it took, so if I have issues with those I may have to unpair/repair with them closer like I did the contact sensor.

I have 16 leak and 4 contact sensors, so I guess I'll get plenty of data. :wink:

Odd.

Well, the battery died. And I don't have any spares. I could take a battery out of one of the other sensors, but I don't want to jinx anything. Once I get a new battery I'll try pairing it closer and then moving it.

EDIT: There are 5,400 events for the device. So if we say that a single open/close generates 2 events you get 2,700 open/close cycles. Lets say a particular door is opened 3 times a day. That will give you 900 days of battery life. Let's say the door is more busy and it gets opened 15 times a day. That's 180 days of battery life. So not to bad really. Most of mine are going on closets that get opened like twice a day maybe.

EDIT2: It also went from reporting 80% battery life, to reporting 1% battery life to no reporting at all in a matter of only 30 seconds.