Zooz ZSE41 open/close sensor 700 series

That's probably the deal then. I have searched for it and I have not had any luck. Had it for the longest time until they baked into the platform so I got rid of it.

After clicking link Press the "RAW" button to get the Import URL or you can copy/paste from there as well.

Here is the Binary Updater (for GBL sand HEX files and I think also works for OTZ): https://github.com/djdizzyd/hubitat/blob/master/Drivers/Z-Wave-Firmware-Updater/zwaveBinaryUpdater.groovy

Here is the 'safe' Updater but it only works for OTZ and other non-hex/binary files: https://github.com/djdizzyd/hubitat/blob/master/Drivers/Z-Wave-Firmware-Updater/zwaveFirmwareUpdater.groovy

I believe you normally use firmware Target 0 for the Binary updater unless the vendor tells you otherwise. So far all Zooz devices are target 0.

Thanks for the link. Think that got it. It's sending update packets to the device now.....

Well I was able to update 2 of my sensors using the firmware driver. But my third one would never get past wake up the sleepy device. Took a little extra effort but I paired up my ZWave stick and updated my firmware the old fashioned way :slight_smile:

One thing I did notice on all of them is the battery level went down to around 59% after updating. After a couple of open/closes, it went back up to 89%. Don't know it is now more accurate or if there is some shenanigans going on. They were all at 100% battery before my little venture. Surely updating firmware doesn't eat up the battery that much would it?

Zooz told me one of the issues possibly causing the battery reporting spam was that the reading on this type of battery can fluctuate and is not very stable. Mine did the same thing as yours, dropped a bunch then came back up. But it is not showing 100% again. We will see how long it lasts. Also who knows what quality the batteries they came with are, I suspect they wont last as long as high quality ones will.

UPDATE: Now it is actually back to reporting 100% battery, for two reports 12hrs apart.

Any recommendations? I think it'll make migrating to the C7 easier and I plan on starting that soon.

Check this post and the one below it for links. The UZB3 or the UZB-7 seem to both work good for me. I also have a Zooz ZST10 which I keep paired as a secondary controller but I suspect it is nearly the same hardware just in a fancier package and plastic housing and a flashing LED light.

Out of curiosity... Did anyone get an updated firmware from Zooz support for the ZSE42 leak sensor?

Mine is defective (wont pair to anything and light just flashes forever) so I have not been harassing them about that one, :grin:. I am waiting for more to get in stock so I can actually try it out.

1 Like

OK. I have 16 of them...

I have yet to get any of the open/close sensors to update. Unpaired from hubitat, paired to pc controller with no security. Just sits there on packet 1... I see messages coming back and forth from the device, but no progress when trying to do the OTA. Will mess with it some more another day I guess.

EDIT:

• Tried from Hubitat, looked like it was working but super slow (10+ hours)
  • Tried PC Controller with 3 different UZBs, would never get past packet 1.
  • Factory reset the sensor. Tried from PC Controller again. Same result - never got past packet 1.
  • Paired it to zwavejs, updated 1st try in like 3 minutes. Go figure.

I don't have a USB stick, but I had good luck (other than the one nightmare one) with the C5 hub and using the community firmware updater driver. I did have to move the hub to be very close to the sensors though.

I got the ZSE42 1.30 firmware from support tonight. Just flashed it on 2 of my devices, so we'll see how it goes. Working so far, though.

Sorry the kids got sick this past week and i have no been following. They gave me 1.21 for both the window and leak sensor.

I see below you got 1.3 so i wonder what has changed. 1.21 has been running great so far and i had no problem updating them from the silcon usb7. The C7 i have would not update them at all, just sits there for hours and kills the battery.

I also have a 1.30 for the ZSE41.

Support said they thought that 1.21 and 1.30 are the exact same, and were renumbered for internal reasons (maybe beta vs production - don't know, they didn't elaborate).

@agnes.zooz Could you possibly verify this? Thanks!

I haven't installed the ZSE41 1.30 yet - I queued it up to install on the one I have on zwave js, so it should update next time it wakes up (10:30pm tonight I think).

Is this as a secondary controller? I may need to figure out how to se that up on my "server" (aka old gaming laptop). The one thing that the PC Controller doesn't do is play nice with battery devices when it is a secondary controller.

No, separate zwave network. I have lotsa independent zwave networks of many different types/brands - I tinker a lot. Everything in my house ends up in node-red anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me that much where it originated from (as long as it is reliable).

Since the firmware update was going so much better on zwave js, I just moved all my zooz sensors over there.

That said, queuing it up doesn't always work in zwave js, either. Hit or miss. It is better to just manually wake it and get it done.

That's correct, 1.21 was beta and 1.30 is the production release.

4 Likes