Zooz ZSE29 outdoor sensor

I have this sensor mounted over a door, outside, to notify us when the dog wants back in. Has always worked fine till it got cold. It seems if the temp drops to about 25 degrees the motion detect stops. As soon as it warms back up it works again. I changed batteries but that didn’t help. Any thoughts?

I just purchased one of these with the intent to use it for my outside light over a dark spot in the back of the house, I hope that's not the case, Canadian winters are COLD! Are you using quality batteries?

You could also swap out to a Hue outdoor sensor. They handle cold just fine.

2 Likes

Specs... Shouldn't be an issue according to this.
Here are the technical details for the Outdoor Motion Sensor ZSE29:

• Z-Wave Signal Frequency: 908.42 MHz
  • Power: 3 x AA (1.5 V) batteries (included) / Micro USB cable and power adapter (NOT INCLUDED)
  • Motion Detection Range: Up to 30 feet
  • Z-Wave Range: Up to 100 feet line of sight
  • Installation and Use: Indoor / Outdoor
  • Operating Temperature: -4° - 104°F
1 Like

I looked at the specs earlier and agree it shouldn't be an issue. But it's been pretty consistent. I can't give the exact temp it stops working, but around 25. It wasn't installed last winter so this is the first experience with the issue. It's in a screened in porch so there is no chance of it getting wet from rain or snow. Unless we get a major blizzard blowing in one direction. And if that happens the sensor is the least of my worries.

Should mention I have an older model outside that as far as I know hasn't had any issues. It doesn't get tripped very often so may not know if it acts up. I had kinda forgot about it. But will do some testing.

Have you reached out to Zooz? They are quite fast responding.

I installed mine last night. Works great. -12 C here, that's around 10 F I think. Whats your firmware version?

Haven't had time to mess with this for awhile. Got to thinking about it.

Is the motion detection infrared or heat sensitive? The dog is pretty small and I'm just wondering when it's that cold if it just doesn't see enough heat.

I'm going to experiment with me vs dog when it gets cold again.