Zooz ZEN76 - updated firmware, but nothing?

I installed my first Zooz ZEN76 today and got everything setup. Hubitat says it is v2.00. It's also Hardware 2.0, which their changelog doesn't actually show?

The link for the latest firmware says it is 2.10, which of course also doesn't exist in the changelog. I downloaded it and using the firmware updater in Hubitat went to upload then update the z-wave device. It took maybe less than 5 minutes and seemed to progress normally. When it was done (or when it started?) the light switch turned on, and at the end also turned off again.

But I return to the device and it's still showing 2.00 as the version. At least based on the URL itself (I don't know if I can post it here? But it's on their firmware page) it would seemingly indicate a 2.10 version...

If you exclude it, factory reset it then pair it again it will show correctly

@rlithgow1's method will most definitely work, but becomes less ideal after initial install when you have associated rules in place etc.

Another option is to just change the device's "Type" (in the device's "Device Information" section) to something else, and then back to normal Type.

For z-wave stuff, I change it to the Basic Z-Wave Tool type since I can use that to directly verify parameters and firmware. When I switch back to the device's normal Type driver, the firmware value then shows correctly.

3 Likes

If you are using my driver: [DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

Just press configure and it should refresh all the info.

Yep, am using it.. and maybe I did hit configure before but somehow eventually it did update :slight_smile:

Maybe not specific to this, but as I get more devices from more brands - how on earth do you check for updates/know a device needs to be updated and go about updating them! No devices update automatically do they?

No, but once a new-model device is stabilized after being released, f/w updates are pretty rare and typically not show-stopper important.

When possible, update when you first install a new-to-you device to get the latest, and then just bookmark the device manufacturer's corresponding resource page (when available) -- I just check those once in a while to see if anything's new. I keep a simple spreadsheet for my devices that includes model #, current f/w, battery type, etc etc

ETA -- firmware for zigbee devices aren't commonly user-doable -- those are made available by Hubitat when the manufacturer works with them to do that. But you can update most z-wave devices with files available form the manufacturer.

2 Likes

Hubitat needs a feature to know which devices you have (done), know their firmware version (done) and monitor the latest version available (would be nice) - at least to ping you to choose to update yourself manually.

Could be done as a community app but someone would need to maintain a list of the current versions for the app to check against.

Most brands do not do anything major with firmware updates besides fix issues. So if you donโ€™t have issues may not need to update. Zooz seems to be an exception where they will add features based on feedback. I think inovelli does this also.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.