Zooz Zen30 device associations and relay settings

Hi all,

I have a Zen30 connected to a bathroom fan and light. I just installed another Zen30 that same bathroom. This one is connected to a different light and the relay is capped.

I want the second Zen30 relay to control the bathroom fan physically connected to the first Zen30.

I've never used associations before but this looks like a good opportunity to try it.

First question, since the second Zen30 relay is not physically connected to anything, should I disable the manual and zwave control under parameter 20?

Second question, how do I use the associations correctly?

I just want either physical button push to turn on/off the bathroom fan.

I would only use associations if it is critical that this functions if the hub is offline.
Otherwise it is MUCH easier to create a rule on the hub, and just as fast of a response (sometimes faster).

I assume you are using my driver? I think I have helped you before.

Sure, might as well, you can keep the load off that way just for extra safety.

Then I would enable the scene control which gives you button events.
You can test by pushing the button and the check the logs, it should show a button 1 pushed event on the relay child.

Setup a rule for button 1 push on the relay child to toggle the relay of the other switch. Can setup in button controller, or basic rules, whatever you preference is.
Simple as that.

One of the reasons I gave up on associations is that the operational hub still has to be plugged in if you want to get timely operation. Otherwise, there's a minimum of a 6 second delay, at least on the devices I was using. Something about the z-wave radio doesn't get shut off when off-line and the device checking the hub first before firing off the direct association. If there was some mission critical thing, and a delay wasn't as important as having it ultimately fire, then I'd use it.

Also, in the future, you have to remember or keep notes on what is associated because you can't just willy nilly remove an associated device without maybe causing yourself some problems.

Yes, you helped me very recently. I am using your advanced driver.

One of the reasons I was curious about associations is for if/when I ever sell my house. I don't plan on removing my smart switches and I don't want to complicate anything during the sale if involving Hubitat does that. If the switches work without a hub, then that resolves that issue. I'll worry about that another day.

I have another question I hope you can help with. I emailed Zooz support and they didn't give me a clear answer. I may have to wait for them to respond tomorrow.

If I am using the relay button as a virtual switch, do I cap the blue and yellow wires Relay Contact 1 and Relay Contact 2?

Another question. I do not see the settings to turn on Scene Control on either the paddle or button on the Zen30. This switch is on version 3 of the hardware. I am updating the firmware to the latest version now.

Is it a firmware issue or am I missing something?

They really should not have voltage on them since it is just a stand alone relay. But I would cap them or cover the ends with tape just to be sure they dont touch anything else. Could even put them both in the same cap.

They added the setting in the newest firmware. In prior firmware it was always on and could not be disabled. My driver detects your firmware and only presents the settings that work on it so people can continue to use it without updating if they have no need for whatever is changed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.