Zooz Zen27 unresponsive periodically until air gapped

Yeah the lose local and remote control.

I think I did have to repair them after the firmware upgrade but that was a year ago so I don't remember.

Sorry about the slow response.

Firmware 1.0

Load is typically 2 60w equivalent LED dimmable bulbs. Not sure of the actual wattage. I think total 14w per fixture.

The master bath light, master vanity light, and living room light switches get boogered up. The Zen 22s I am not sure how to display the firmware version, but no problems with them, only the Zen27s...

So if I get the process right, there is some sort of USB stick I have to get on the PC, remove the Zen27s from my Zwave network / exclude them, pair them to the USB stick, and update the firmware, remove from the stick / exclude / re add to HE... Not a joy filled process to be sure.

If you have a C7 hub there is a built in firmware updater app, anything else there is a custom driver that can be used (a search will turn up info on both). You can also use a USB stick as a secondary controller. Downside is that probably no matter what way you do it the switch will reset itself when done so you will have to re-pair it.

I have been successful using the "Replace" feature in the zwave details to get them to join back into the same DNI. That is possibly only available on the C7 though.

1 Like

Yep, C7 hub, I have the link to the firmware, and a huge nervousness about it all. I will try to update one and pray it works...

Hopefully the Zen 22s don't do this though. Mine are not OTA flashable as they are not a new enough version... Bummer.

Let me know if you have any issues. I have flashed a bunch of Zen27s. If getting them back into the same DNi as to not break automations an dashboards is critical there is another post I could find that covers a couple ways to do it.

A couple additional notes:

After a FW upgrade Zooz recommends resetting the switch using the tap-tap-tap&hold for 10 seconds the upper paddle until the blue light blinks.

The Zen26 and Zen27s use a FET for the output stage. Of course I don’t know the internal design but it makes them more susceptible to this type of behaviour.

I understand you didn’t have any issue with previous FW versions but with only two dimmable leds as a load I am highly confident that it is now the cause of your issue.

If you could stand replacing your lights temporarily with incandescent bulbs I think it would solve your issues and prove the point.

I could also send you a couple load resistor to try out.

So... replace failed. Do I just remove the device, exclude, and rejoin it?

Yes if replace fails that is the course you need to take but you will need to manually edit all your rules.

But I would recommend NOT removing the original device until after you re-join your new switch and edit your rules.

The last time I replaced a device, HE said it failed but it actually worked. Please make sure the device is not really responding.

And you might want to try rebooting your hub and trying replace one more time to see if it works then.

FWIW I have a ZEN27 with ONE 60w equiv dimmable LED on it, which I have the box for and it says it is actually 8w. I have never had a problem with the switch.

I hear what you are saying. But for sure all bulbs are not made the same. Different bulb designs will bleed different levels of current in when the Zen27 outputs this ugly chopped voltage. And Zooz has not spec’ed how much bleed current the switch requires to power itself. But based on different FW in the switch, it could definitely change this requirement.

Another example, using non-dimmable bulbs with a zen26 will cause the OP original condition in 12-24 hours.

I am now having this problem randomly on my ZEN27 switches... Would not turn the lights on zwave or physically. Had to air gap two of them today. One I noticed in the logs afterwards it was sending the central scene commands to the hub while locked, I could see the button up button down from me trying to turn it on but the light never came on. They are both on Firmware 3.04

I just had my second event in about 3 weeks with a Zen23 v4 toggle switch. It is just like this was reported. The switch was completely unresponsive to both local and hubitat initiated changes. Ironically i was right next to the switch when it failed. It clicked on and then i heard it click immediately off and that was it. I had to airgap it from the breaker to get it working again.

Yes I have found that the typically failure point is just after being turned on after being off for a while.

One of my zen21 did it a week ago as well. It controls two exhaust fans in my ensuite.

A year ago I solved the issue installing a snubber circuit for filtering the transients of inductive load.

A month ago I replaced both exhaust fans with new ones prior to getting insulation added to the attic. I noted that the new ones had capacitors across the motors so I opted to leave the snubber cct out. Dumb mistake.

I reinstalled the snubber circuit and things are back to normal.

I know exhaust fans are a “do it at your own risk” situation for the zen21s so I am not complaining.

It just highlights that the switches can be sensitive to noise/transients on the AC lines.

I have three Zen27s and over fifteen zen26’s. I think I now have load resistors on all of them. I don’t install new ones anymore with out putting it in. It just solves headaches.

Sorry if I sound repetitive.

Edit: oops just corrected zen #s above

What did you use for the snubber circut. That is my use case as well. With an exhast fan. Was it installed in the switch box or near the fan.

@mavrrick58

You can put it across the fan between hot and neutral (I have done it this way)

Or you can put it from hot to switched hot (line to load) at the switch. I will find a link that discusses.

I have used 120 ohms in series with a 0.1uF ac rated cap with at least a 250vac rating. I wasn’t sure about the power rating of the resistor so I measured the Vrms across the resistor in cct and it only has approx 4v across it. A quarter watt resistor should be sufficient but I have used 1W rated (closed space/no airflow/etc)

Found the one I was looking for:

I would really encourage you to swap this out for the fan rated GE/Jasco 43074. It is a commercial grade switch, and noticeably better built than the Zooz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TKD3RTT/

I did the snubber on both the fans, but the one fan still was hard on the Zen23, it would behave weirdly at times. This Jasco completely fixed the issue.

1 Like

I hear you. The Zooz are technically not rated for the application and instead of tinkering to make it work it just makes sense to buy something design for what you want to do.

But I won’t buy anything GE anymore. Burned too many times with poorly designed products. And I don’t think they design anything themselves anymore. They just spec it and get someone else to design and build it and stick their name on it.

The GE "branded" smart switches pointed out by @neonturbo have nothing whatsoever to do with GE the company, except the manufacturer, Jasco Products Company LLC, paid GE for the right to market the products under the GE name. They also paid for licenses for 'Enbrighten", "Honeywell", and other brands Consumer Electronics products.

They aren't designed, built, or anything else by GE. Although I'm not a fan of their fan controllers personally, their products are known to be reliable, and well made. If you just don't like the GE Branding, they often market the same products as Jasco, or Honeywell.

Check out byjasco.com for all the product lines they make.

GE only has GE Digital that's playing at any level in the Smarthome space. They even sold off their GE Lighting division to a company called Savant Systems Inc.

Just thougt it was worth noting, as their products are often complementary to other Smart Home products. For example, Jasco makes nice Zigbee and Zwave outlets which can help expand your mesh without unsightly (IMO) wall wart plugs.

S.

Yes that is what ours did as well this last time, it is two can lights with LED bulbs and it was turned on, immediately went off and then was locked up. I don't have any on fans, all on LED bulbs which behave normally most of the time. It has ONLY been the ZEN27 dimmers which have locked up on my thus far and I have at least one of just about every model but the majority are ZEN27.