Zooz Zen17 relay

Ah good point... I've only ever had a C7, so that's all I know about.

@agnes.zooz Anything you can do to expedite this request?

Absolutely and sorry for the mix-up, it's possible that the firmware file hasn't been added to our internal database yet. If you can either reply to the email you received with a link to this thread or send me a message with your ticket number, we'll take care of it right away!

2 Likes

OK - Either I am doing this all wrong, I bought the wrong device, or what I bought is defective.

I am replacing a GoControl GD00Z-4. I have a switch on the wall with two wires coming out of it that were connected to the GoControl. If I short those two wires, the garage door acts just like I had pressed the button on the wall - On for a second, then back to Off. Garage door goes up or down as necessary.
On the ZEN17, any method of checking for the momentary short using the device ON button the the Device page will short the R1-C to R1-NC briefly once the first time, then on subsequent tries does it once, pauses for about 5 seconds, then does it again. I have tried every combination of settings I can think of.
Upon first setting it up, I hit the config buttons 5 times to get it into Garage Door mode. Was that a mistake?
Any and all info appreciated.
@agnes.zooz

Not sure if/how this really matters, but the Z17 documentation says to use R1-C and R1-NO (not NC) for the opener connections, so that's what I did :man_shrugging:

I don't recall seeing anything about hitting Config 5x to put the Z17 in GD mode - out of curiosity, where did you come across that?

What are you using for a garage door sensor(s)? Depending on that answer, the Zen 16 may be a better "out of the box" solution for you since it has far more robust garage setup support info & documentation (primarily just because it's been around longer and folks have had a chance to play around and refine scenarios).

The Z17 is new, so it doesn't benefit from that experience yet, but hopefully its use cases & scenario-based documentation will mature.

I use my Z17 for my garage door -- the reason I need it vs Z16 is the full independence of the sensors and relays on Z17... I use 2 wired magnetic/reed sensors - one for door fully closed and one for door fully open. I have the opener wired to one of the relays (other relay is not used). I can manage both sensors and the relay independently with Z17, but that's not possible with Z16.

I created a virtual door-opener button and a RM rule for it -- when virtual button is pressed, it turns on the Z17 opener relay, waits for a sensor change, then turns the relay off. For right now, that's as close as I can get to making that relay a momentary-switch / button. I rarely use that open/close capability, but that setup's worked fine for me so far.

The 2 wired sensors are the really big Z17 win for me... My garage is detached up here in MN, so it gets a WIDE range of weather extremes - I didn't want to deal with finicky battery tilt sensors out there... I got some burly nice-quality Honeywell wired sensors and they have been awesome so far.

I made a virtual contact sensor for my dashboards that integrates both wired sensors for a single overall open/close status. I have a rule that alerts me if neither sensor indicates closed 15" after either sensor's state changes -- this tells me if the door got stuck half-way for some reason.

Yes, that was what I was using. Bad typo.

From the User Manual sheet that came with it.

I was using a Tilt Sensor, and planned to do the same with the ZEN17.

Huh, I never noticed that blurb about garage mode! Interesting...

I have a feeling Zooz and user communities will eventually come up with cool drivers, apps, use-case setup instructions etc for Z17 similar to how Z16 has evolved, but unfortunately very little exists yet.

If just using a tilt sensor, there are more detailed setup options and apps available for that setup using the Z16 right now... Is there a specific reason you are using the Z17 over the Z16 for this? Or maybe Agnes and the Zooz team is currently working on more GDO-based setup options/documentation for the Z17 - that would be welcome.

Yes, I'm thinking I should have gotten the Z16 instead. Still experimenting with my options. I can trigger R1-C/R1-NO correctly by shorting out S1/C. RC1-C/R1-NO closes for about a second, then opens. Repeating test shows same result. How do I use the S1 trigger but the R1 output to mimic the button press? Also, I have two Child device for the Parent, both labeled Universal relay. The on/off buttons there only control R1. I can't programmatically control S1. Maybe I shouldn't have put it in Garage Door mode?
How many Child devices do you have, and how are they labeled. What do they control?

I have 4 child devices - 2 sensors, 2 relays. I'm only using one of the relays - it's wired directly to my GDO (not wall switch). I re-parametered the 2 sensors as #7 open-closed sensors, and each is wired to a reed sensor.

The relay is not in any way married to the sensors via the Z17 itself, although I can use them together in rules to control the door and check status.

The relay connection with the GDO is a bit of mystery to me -- I haven't experimented a ton with it, but my rule to have it go on via a virtual button and then turn off very quickly was the best way I could figure out to ensure the relay turns off for certain... That may be an inelegant solution, but it seems to work fine, so good enough. For me, the ability to open/close via Hubitat is emergency only for the once-in-a-blue-moon missed remote signal as you're driving away kinda thing. Very rarely needed.

Maybe a future driver enhancement will enable that relay to be programmed as a momentary switch (instead of currently just being a toggle switch [I think? I'm not sure]).

It sounds like that "garage mode" is likely what'll work best for your setup with a tilt sensor, but it could definitely use more clarification about how that all works and how to set it up!

1 Like

Thanks much for this information. I think I will try a factory refresh and start over again.

I have mine setup as dry contact sensors but the 2 child devices it has are generic switches. Is that how its supposed to be or should they be contacts?

I only get the 2 children. I am still on 1.02, as I haven't gotten the upgrade file yet.
Factory reset, readied to Hubitat, still 2 children - but I didn't set it to Garage Door Mode, just set the relay to be Garage Door. It is now working properly.

You can also keep all settings as default (so switch type as toggle or if you're using it with a wired sensor - set to an open/close sensor) and use the dedicated SmartApp for garage door control - it works for both the ZEN16 and the ZEN17 relays.

1 Like

By default you will only see the 2 relays as child devices. You have to set the Input Type Relay # to a sensor of some type (set parameter value to 4 or above).

For example, my Input Type Relay 1 is set to Momentary(0) and my Input Type Relay 2 is set to Contact Sensor(4). So in this case I have 3 child devices, the 2 relays and an additional Sensor 2.

Note that though the directions state you should exclude and then include the device for the additional children devices to be created, I never had to perform the exclude/include. I believe if you click the configure and/or refresh buttons (forgot what order or if both are even needed), the Hubitat will automatically create or remove the child devices as needed without needing to exclude and include. So click Configure and Refresh, then wait a little time then reload(F5) the device page in your browser, the child device should eventually show up (it wasn't always immediate for me).

2 Likes

I've come back to this after letting it alone for a few weeks. I think that a firmware improvement that needs to be made is the ability for the user to reverse the input statuses on a per input basis. There are variety of devices which can be attached that are either NO or NC. Just as the contact sensor input was originally set for NC contacts when NO is more usual and the firmware was changed, my motion sensor is NC when the ZEN17 is expecting NO. Some motion sensors have a jumper to set it either way, but mine happens not to. Just like how on paddle switches, you can reverse the on and off statuses, the two inputs should have the same ability to allow them to work with the widest variety of equipment. @agnes.zooz, please keep this in mind for a future firmware update.

2 Likes

I kick myself for not spending the addition $10 to get my contact sensors with both NO/NC contacts... I might just have to go get them anyways, firmware upgrade may be painful, I only have a C5.

I did my ZEN17 firmware upgrades with a Zstick and PC Controller Software. I could not get the .gbl format firmware files to work properly with the Community Firmware Upgrade tool on the C5. If you don't already have a Zstick (also helpful for busting ghosts on the C5), it's on sale this weekend:

The Silicon Labs UZB-7 700 chip version is always $19.95 (not on sale) from Digi-Key. That’s where I got mine, based on a recommendation in this forum.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/silicon-labs/SLUSB001A/9867108

1 Like

So, I finally connected my Zen17 to my GDO wall switch (Genie DirectLiftPlus 3060). The good news is, the Z17 works...in that, when I turn the switch ON, it starts the GDO. I have to turn it OFF and ON again to stop the door (unless it opens all the way), and OFF and On again to close the door. This is all ok, as it's exactly as I expected because that's how my wall switch works.

The problem, however, is that I can't get my wall switch to work. I even tried reversing the connections, but that didn't work. I got a Zen16 as well that I guess I could try, but I was hoping to use that for a different project (need three connections.)

What contacts are you using on the z17?