Zooz ZEN 72 dimmer association group doesn't work with double tap

Yes I believe he is right, you only want to put the association on the virtual switch. Does the virtual really need to get updates from the master switch to know what level it is at, etc...? Probably not, it just needs to send updates.

For the double tap, that is a built in hardware function. It is possible it is not sending out the level change to the associations. @agnes.zooz is there any sort of special config needed for the double tap max brightness to go out to associations?

Honestly how important is it for this to work if the hub is offline? I have read a lot of people having better success just using one of the mirroring apps on the hub to keep the switches in sync vs using associations. Faster and more reliable. The only drawback is the hub needs to be online for it to work, and not sure how well the press and hold dimming will work like that.

1 Like

hi thanks you were quick - already here replying before I edited to tag you LOL

1 Like

This and other association features will be revisited in the next firmware update for our dimmers. We're working on adding some functionality to association that will allow to keep the 2 dimmers or switches in sync as it's becoming a more common use case (especially among former Insteon users). We hope to have the firmware update ready in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

Awesome - looking forward to this. I'm one of those former Insteon users, just redid my whole house in Zooz switches and the direct linking for the virtual multi-way configs is probably the one thing I miss the most. Happy to volunteer to test firmware updates too :wink:

2 Likes

What is the best way to fix it for now? I currently have it working with two mirrors. Is there a better way I can use?

I think you are right to make two because they only go one way. I searched around a little, I thought there was an app more geared towards virtual 3-way setups but I cannot find it. Maybe someone else that uses one can give some better input.

@andrewf329 After more searching I finally found the app that would possibly work better/easier for you:. This app is purpose built for what you want to do.

2 Likes

I just set that up and it seems to work perfectly! It might be my imagination but it seems like it has a faster response time too.

just had the opportunity to try the latest firmware for zen77 and couldn’t discern any difference with just direct association - so I removed the association and tried the binding app … which didn’t work at all. I went to another virtual 3-way set of switches that still had direct association and created a binding for those and it worked perfectly (dimming, double tap, etc)

@andrewf329 is that the same config you’re using?

You mean you used the binding app AND the associations at the same time? That should not be needed, the app should work without any associations. I have never used it myself but I have seen it recommended before, I think a lot of people are using it.

Correct binding and zwave direct association at same time. On two switches with no association the binding alone did nothing at all… that’s why I was asking if they were expected to be used together?

EDIT: i just tried w virtual 4 way (3 switches)... when both aux switches are direct associated to the load controlling switch and in the binding instance it gets into a loop... and removing the direct associations like before renders the binding alone useless. Looks like it need more experimenting.

I'm not using associations anymore, only Switch Bindings. This is the only setup I did and everything works including multi-tap.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm using ZooZ ZEN Dimmer Advanced drivers.

Thanks for confirming- same driver here as well. I’ll have to give it another go sometime. I too had played with the mirror app setting in both directions like you did but had looping issues that way

I just wanted to let everyone know we now have updated firmware for our dimmers that allows to nicely sync them together in virtual 3-way and 4-way set-ups. Please register your product on the website to receive access to the firmware files.

Once you update the dimmers, please program them exactly per the directions below:

1. Main dimmer (connected to load) - no changes in settings
  2. Remote dimmers: set parameter 7 to value 11 - this is a new parameter that hasn't been added to the driver yet so you can accomplish the change by clicking the bottom paddle 4 times quickly after you add the dimmers to the hub (the LED indicator will flash 3 times to confirm the change - it will only do that the first time the change is activated so watch closely)
  3. Set direct association for Group 3 only , adding the device ID's for other dimmers in the group. So if dimmer A is your main dimmer and dimmer B and C are your remote dimmers, add dimmer B and C to Group 3 on dimmer A; add dimmer A and C to Group 3 on dimmer B; and add dimmer A and B to Group 3 on dimmer C.
  4. IMPORTANT: Remote dimmers can then only be used from the paddles (you need to hide them in Hubitat not to trigger them via Z-Wave) while any Z-Wave or wireless control of the light needs to happen from the main dimmer A. This will ensure all devices stay in sync at all times.

I hope that helps anyone researching this type of set-up in the future!

4 Likes

value 11 looks like this on the advanced driver -is this correct?

1 Like

Yes, that's correct!

1 Like

just got a chance to test the new firmware and config and the dimming levels (including double tap for full brightness) are syncing perfectly! :smile:

1 Like

so I'm having a weird issue - trying this new firmware with dimmer association on two dimmers - a Zen72(10.30) and a Zen77(10.30). Using v1.6.2 of @jtp10181 's zen dimmer advanced driver.

On the Zen77, parameter 7 is available and the dimmer association works. On the Zen72, even though I'm using the same driver, parameter 7 is not available. Any one else having this issue? Thanks

@agnes.zooz is there a way to set parameter 7 to value 14 using paddle programming? Thanks

ok I guess the driver code just needs to be updated. I was able to expose parameter 7 for the Zen72 by changing line 514 in the driver code
from this
changes: [71:[num:null], 72:[num:null]]
to
changes: [71:[num:null], 72:[]]

Yes parameter 7 was not previously available for all the switches, looks like they opened it up. I will have to update the driver to officially support it.

3 Likes