Zooz Zen 51/52 Contacts working backward

I got the Zooz Zen 51 dry contact and a Zen 52 Double relay devices to integrate my range hood fan into my system.

My issue is about the NO/NC nature of the contacts. The Zooz documentation says: "normally open (on when the circuit is closed, off when the circuit it[sic] open)"

Here is what I've found:
Set parameter 9 Value 0 for Normally Open
S1: No input (Open), LED: ON, Relay: Closed
S1: 110v input (Closed), LED:Off, Relay: Open
The relay and LED are operating opposite of the input. To me this should be called NC

Set parameter 9 Value 1 for Normally Closed
S1: No input (Open), LED: ON, Relay: Open
S1: 110v input (Closed), LED:Off, Relay: Closed
This is the behavior I expect for something called NO, but the LED is operating opposite of everything now.

Is anyone else having this issue?

It seems like the documentation has the NO/NC nomenclature backwards but even then, the LED is still operating counter to what I'd expect.

It's happening on both the ZEN51 and the ZEN52
Both are FirmwareVersion: 1.3, ProtocolVersion: 7.15, HardwareVersion: 1
Thanks

I recommend checking for an advanced settings parameter to reverse the inputs on Zooz support website. link

Background:
I just finished working with a ZEN17 universal relay. Parameters 19 & 20 reverse what the inputs show in Hubitat for the same input. Ie. closed contact now reports open.
However, I had to update the firmware to be able to get those advanced parameters exposed.

Sounds like it is backwards, I just verified it with a quick article search: Difference between NO and NC

NO the relay should be OPEN (off) until a specified condition is met and then it would close.

The LED seems to be tied to the input, not the relay, and it is On when open and Off when closed, which also seems to be the opposite of what the docs say.

Parameter 1: Enable or disable the LED indicator to reflect the current on/off status of the connected load (LED on when the load is on, LED off when the load is off).

I have a ZEN51 in the box, have not paired it up yet. Maybe I will get a chance to try it out this week.

Thanks,
The parameter to change the input behavior (#7) has several options, They do not reverse the input though.

By comparison, I also have a Zen16 Multirelay and it operates as expected with respect to the NO/NC output.

I looked at the settings documentation for the ZEN17 and saw the input control @CHoppopotomus spoke of. The Zen51/52 do not seem to have that setting.

Thanks

@agnes.zooz

Thanks for the tag @tony.fleisher, we're troubleshooting with @JCS directly to see if it's a documentation issue or something in the firmware that needs to be addressed. Right now we're waiting for more details on other settings changed/modified so we can try replicating the issue.

The difference between the ZEN17 relay and the ZEN51/ZEN52 is that you can completely separate the inputs on the ZEN17 and treat them as individual entities while on the ZEN51/ZEN52 they're tied to the output and while you can disable them as triggers, you can't really monitor them separately from the output like on the ZEN17.

3 Likes

Wow! That was fast.

Zooz found the issue I was having with the zen51 and zen52 and patched the firmware. It is now firmware version 1.4. I just tested it and it is working for me.

Nice little devices. I'm sure I will find several more uses for them.

Thanks Zooz. @agnes.zooz
Best all.

3 Likes

I can confirm as well the 1.31 (or 1.4) firmware corrected this issue. I had been working with Zooz the past couple weeks on testing the Zen52 because I experienced the same issue and suspected this was a bug. I was experiencing some issues I think on 1.1 where the physical toggles switches were not triggering the relay. Time will tell if that issue is fixed. It was intermittent before.

Thank you for helping us discover this bug! I'm glad to hear the new firmware has fixed it. If anyone's researching a similar problem, the easiest way to get direct access to OTA firmware files for our products is by registering your device here.

Thanks Agnes!

My Z51 is arriving today, but v1.30 is still what's on the OTA-update page... Will 1.40 post there soon, or should I request it via support?

Thanks again -- that OTA-update page is a HUGE win!!

1 Like

We hope to have it uploaded to the page within 24 hours, I see it's in the queue already. But if you'd like to receive it earlier, you can always request it from our support :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine's working fine so far, so I'm happy to wait -- thanks very much for the update!!

1 Like

How do I update the firmware?

It depends on what Hubitat hub you have -- do you have a C7 or earlier hub?

I have a C-5 hub.

I don't have first-hand experience with the C5 process, but my understanding is that you'll need a GBL version of the firmware file from Zooz, and then use this process to update.

It's a bit more straight-forward with a C7 hub, but the process above should work fine.

Do you know how to get the "GBL version of the firmware"?

You can register the device with Zooz and then you get your access to all of their latest firmware files. Agnes posted this a few posts above :point_up: in this thread.

I hope someone can help...
I have a c-5 hub and have gone through all the steps listed here.The upload goes to 100% but then I get an error " firmwareUpdateProgress : FAILED: The transferred image does not match the Firmware Target".
Any help?

What is the link to the exact driver you are using? You need to use a binary version for it to work.

Also how is the device paired for security? S2 or None?