Zooz Z-WAVE Plus Q Sensor - ZSE11

One of mine reports motion for minutes before going inactive, then sometimes shows motion when there isn't. The other two are either not reporting, or miss reporting randomly.

Mine reports the first time pretty reliably (on usb power), but the subsequent motions are very hit or miss.

I'm returning mine, they are far too unpredictable. The old 4-in-1 just works. Really wish we could get an inexpensive device like the old IRIS motion sensors, talk about a solid device...

1 Like

I've giving them one more go. I'm defaulting them and trying from scratch.

Two of my three respond mostly within a second, the other sometimes takes 3-4 seconds to notice motion.

I can't get the Basic Zwave Tool or the community driver to set the motion timeout to anything but the 30 second default. All other variables are adjustable fine.

And I just realized these are only 100 degrees and 20 ft, vs 125 degrees and 40 ft for the 4-in-1. Why come out with a lower performing sensor? Plus they don't have the temp color reporting like the 4-in-1.

You must have missed the notes from Agnes earlier in this thread...

How is it completely different when it does the same things, only worse? Doesn't matter if it's a Tahoe or Escalade, it does the same thing, but at least one has better "something". :joy:

1 Like

The ZSE11 was developed based on the feedback we received on the ZSE40 which is a really good security motion sensor but is slower in reporting some of the other values and it can't be powered via USB. It also has a much bigger mounting bracket so aesthetically, the ZSE11 will be a better choice here as well. It all depends on your priorities. If you'd like to have a responsive motion detector with large coverage, we'd recommend the ZSE40 over the ZSE11 Q Sensor. But if you're looking for quick lux reports as well for a lighting automation, then the ZSE11 will be a better choice. I hope that helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That does. Maybe this should be advertised like that? List response times for the various sensing things. Is the ZSE11 actually slower with motion then or is that just perception?

1 Like

When paired with no security, the ZSE11 is slightly faster from my testing than the ZSE40 with the forced S0 pairing. :slight_smile:

I'm working with support right now. I can't get the reset time changed, other variables do, but the Basic Z-Wave Tool doesn't work, and they acknowledged that. I can't believe I have three bad sensors, but I'm working through this. Really want to avoid the cost of returning them.

Glad to hear yours is even faster. I have SO pairing on only for locks and doors.

I also can't set parameter 16 to 0, since the Basic tool isn't working.

Parameter 16 should stay at 1 as default, this is how the built-in driver as well as the community driver process the device so this change isn't needed anymore.

And the motion clear delay / reset setting can be changed using the community driver.

What problems are you having with the Basic Z-Wave Tool? From my experience it is able to set parameters for sleepy devices like this, but you have to wakeup the device manually and then set the parameter before it goes back to sleep.

1 Like

It won't set motion timeout, Zooz verified this and said they'd update their docs. I can't get any of the sensors off of 30 seconds.

Anyone have issues with accuracy? I find the humidity is off 14 percentage points and temperature by over 6 points.

Here's my three, in a sealed box, in the dark. It took them a while to stabilize, but they are accurate to each other. I've never had any sensor be accurate to a thermometer so I adjust each one over time with offsets.

Agnes from The Smartest House and I went through this yesterday, it seems the hub itself isn't sending the correct commands to the device. The sensor works fine for all but the motion timeout setting. I'll open a support case with Hubitat to further investigate.

2 Likes

So without a 700 chip, there will be no OTA upgrades?

I have talked to Zooz about doing a firmware update for the ZSE40 if I find any bugs that are causing people issues, so they are still able to and plan on supporting the V2 that is currently sold.

Have you tried this community driver? [RELEASE] Zooz Q Sensor (ZSE11) community driver I also just got a ZSE40 and ZSE11 and will be testing them out later this week to hopefully get any issues corrected if possible.

I did. After talking with Bobby after talking with SMH, I' removed the driver, the devices, reset the devices by pressing for 20 seconds. Powered them down. Reinstalled driver and now they work. Bug in the machine I guess.