Zooz Z-WAVE Plus Q Sensor - ZSE11

I can confirm the same issue above, pairs OK but no motion and all the config params aren't available, using the driver linked above motion/tamper are working

Config sync wasn't working - I updated the driver with a fix for sendCommands() which has cleared my pending changes. I was only able to get it to sync on battery, not with DC power.

My only real issue at this point is that motion sensing seems to be really slow compared to other sensors I've used. (even just going off of the LED blink, not just the hub response)

Tamper and motion are reversed on my three. At least I know the sensors work!

I'll wait for an update from Hubitat.

1 Like

Same issue re: not detecting motion, was excited to try these out since they claimed to be very fast motion sensors...but I'm not encouraged by the slow blink on the LED.

Has anyone captured logs and contacted Hubitat support about the driver issues?

I suggested someone capture logs above, and it looks like the driver isn't parsing the SensorBinaryReport that this sensor sends for motion (maybe looking for Basic like some others do but I don't think this one does?). I just got mine today and saw the same:

For anyone interested, I wrote a driver for this (started it based on the command classes published before I actually got the device; finished it today after it arrived). I'll post a link soon... (EDIT: here it is: [RELEASE] Zooz Q Sensor (ZSE11) community driver)

3 Likes

Thank you. I just recieved 2 that i ordered today and after getting them in HE i noticed no motion detection so i did a search and BAM found your post. I was just about to send Zooz an email lol

Same here... it does not report motion (pretty good for a also-motion sensor).

They did say we might have to update firmware while in beta. Motion sensing does seem slow, and range seems lacking compared to all my other sensors. But I'll give them a solid chance.

All my other Zooz devices work very well, including the 4-in-1's.

I've noticed this too. So far I've only used it for testing (really only for writing the driver above), but I almost thought I did something wrong because motion wasn't getting registered when I was certain it would have--but the sensor just wasn't sending a report without significant motion, and it sometimes took what seemed like a second or so (probably a few hundred milliseconds, but noticeable). I haven't played around with increasing the sensitivity yet, but that probably won't hurt (though might not help; many Z-Wave motion sensors are notorious for slow motion detection, the 4-in-1 being a notable exception though still not as snappy as most Zigbee sensors).

So this worked fantastically, thank you so much for the driver!

One thing I'm disappointed about is that the motion detection on this device seems really spotty.

For a test, I put one of these at about shoulder height and set it to turn on one of my lightbulbs. First time I walked past it, absolutely nothing. But then walking back shortly after, it clicked on almost instantly.

Going to fiddle with the sensitivity settings some, cuz this is some bizarre sensor behavior.

Anyone else had problems getting these to wakeup?
I just got one paired with the driver by @bertabcd1234 but the wakeup (and update settings) doesn't seem to be triggering.

What do you mean with "not triggering"? If you mean not sending configuration on wake, mine seems to. You have to hold the black button inside down for about 3 seconds, then if you have debug logging enabled, you shouldn't see a WakeUpNotification, which should also "trigger" the driver to send any new configuration to the device. (You can also hit "Configure" and then wake the device to force it to even if it doesn't think anything should have changed.)

If you don't see the WakeUpNotification, the device just isn't waking (or Hubitat isn't seeing it for some reason). If you see that but nothing else seems to be working, let me know what and I'll see if I missed something on the driver side--entirely possible given that I put this together pretty quickly, mostly without the device, and haven't tested it much.

If yours is USB powered, then the above doesn't apply; configuration should be sent immediately with either a "Save Preferences" or a "Configure." (It would also have to have been paired this way.)

Update to this, it's beginning to operate much better once I upped the sensitivity level to maximum.

It seems to prefer large objects over small. Head-height was iffy, but torso height was 100%. After placing it relatively high up and at an angle, it seems to be consistently activating in less than a second. Still a bit slow compared to my Hue motion sensor, but not terrible. Will continue testing, but this took it from unusable to a bit slow.

The problem i was having is the wakeup after holding the button wasn't being received. I think there was a problem during the initial pairing (maybe an association didn't get setup?). In any event, I excluded and included again and things seem to work now.

I just unpacked and re-tested the pre-release unit I had written the driver for..

I tested with both S2 and non secure including ..

The device sends both notification and Sensor Binary .. I used notification as it is non-ambiguous and is actually sent first.. I am curious if there was a major change in firmware.. The one I have is based on 1.06.

Both versions I have setup are reporting as firmware 1.09; maybe they broke something?

From zniffer.. you can see the notifications for motion inactive and active:
zoozQNotification2 zoozQNotification1

For some reason the devices that shipped (fw 1.09) appear to only be sending NotificationReport for event 3. I haven't seen any for event 8 (only the SensorBinaryReport with sensorType:12 is sent for motion).
@agnes.zooz Is this a firmware bug?

Ok.. So firmware changed then.. I’ll need to get my hands on the latest firmware... I’ll email @agnes.zooz